Ma Bell is a mean mother!

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

SubjectAuthor
* Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
+* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|`* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
| `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|  `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
|   `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|    `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
|     `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|      +* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
|      |+* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|      ||`- Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
|      |`* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|      | `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
|      |  `* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
|      |   `- Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
|      `- Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan
`* Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Thomas E.
 `- Re: Carplay isn't Siri...Alan

1
Carplay isn't Siri...

<u3okjc$2a9ff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14149&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14149

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Carplay isn't Siri...
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 11:23:40 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 13 May 2023 18:23 UTC

....and Siri isn't simply using voice recognition:

'With Maps open in CarPlay, do one of the following:

Select a place you saved as a favorite. (See Save favorite places in
Maps on iPhone.)

Select Destinations, then select a recent destination or scroll to
select a destination you saved in a collection. (See Organize places in
My Guides in Maps on iPhone.)

Select Search, then select the Microphone button to speak a search
phrase, or select the Keyboard button to use the onscreen keyboard (if
available). You can also select a destination from a category of nearby
services, such as Parking or Restaurants.'

<https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph215b053f6/ios>

Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting "Search"
using Siri.

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<56d1583f-e6f3-431c-a430-2d6561c3fc3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14155&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14155

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 09:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Carplay isn't Siri...
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 14 May 2023 16:36 UTC

On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 2:23:43 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> ...and Siri isn't simply using voice recognition:
>

> 'With Maps open in CarPlay, do one of the following:
>
> Select a place you saved as a favorite. (See Save favorite places in
> Maps on iPhone.)
>
> Select Destinations, then select a recent destination or scroll to
> select a destination you saved in a collection. (See Organize places in
> My Guides in Maps on iPhone.)
>
> Select Search, then select the Microphone button to speak a search
> phrase, or select the Keyboard button to use the onscreen keyboard (if
> available). You can also select a destination from a category of nearby
> services, such as Parking or Restaurants.'
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph215b053f6/ios>
>
> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting "Search"
> using Siri.

CarPlay does use Siri.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-siri-iph0aa8c80e6/ios#:~:text=CarPlay%20uses%20Siri%20voice%20control,in%20controls%20to%20control%20CarPlay.)

Use Siri to ask a question or to do something.
Siri: Say something like:
“Get directions to the nearest coffee shop”
“Call Eliza Block”
“Play more songs like this one”
“Show me the map”
“What’s my next meeting?”
“What’s the weather for today?”

In fact Siri has to be enabled for any voice commands to work on CarPlay devices.

https://stereoupgrade.com/how-to-use-carplay-without-siri/

In any event when I try to get that location via Siri on my iPad or iPhone the street number also drops out. It worked for you. Maybe voice recognition issue?

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<u3r4ml$2m22i$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14160&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14160

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 10:10:42 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 14 May 2023 17:10 UTC

On 2023-05-14 09:36, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 2:23:43 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
>> ...and Siri isn't simply using voice recognition:
>>

>> 'With Maps open in CarPlay, do one of the following:
>>
>> Select a place you saved as a favorite. (See Save favorite places
>> in Maps on iPhone.)
>>
>> Select Destinations, then select a recent destination or scroll to
>> select a destination you saved in a collection. (See Organize
>> places in My Guides in Maps on iPhone.)
>>
>> Select Search, then select the Microphone button to speak a search
>> phrase, or select the Keyboard button to use the onscreen keyboard
>> (if available). You can also select a destination from a category
>> of nearby services, such as Parking or Restaurants.'
>>
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph215b053f6/ios>
>>
>> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting
>> "Search" using Siri.
>
> CarPlay does use Siri.
>
> https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-siri-iph0aa8c80e6/ios#:~:text=CarPlay%20uses%20Siri%20voice%20control,in%20controls%20to%20control%20CarPlay.)
>
> Use Siri to ask a question or to do something. Siri: Say something
> like: “Get directions to the nearest coffee shop” “Call Eliza Block”
> “Play more songs like this one” “Show me the map” “What’s my next
> meeting?” “What’s the weather for today?”

That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay.

Your statement is analogous to claiming a peripheral such as a printer
"uses" the operating system.

You have it backwards.

Siri isn't the voice recognition facility of iOS.

Siri is a digital assistant that USES the voice recognition facility of iOS.

You can turn off Siri completely, and still use speech-to-text.

> In fact Siri has to be enabled for any voice commands to work on
> CarPlay devices.
>
> https://stereoupgrade.com/how-to-use-carplay-without-siri/
>
> In any event when I try to get that location via Siri on my iPad or
> iPhone the street number also drops out. It worked for you. Maybe
> voice recognition issue?

Operator error, or...

....far more likely...

....deliberate misuse by you.

Post a video including what YOU said.

You've demanded video after video from me, so put up or shut up, you
lying Little Shit.

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<2c0380da-1f7f-4f5f-9a3b-899c4e87bd55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14165&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14165

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 04:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 15 May 2023 11:30 UTC

On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 1:12:36 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-05-14 09:36, Thomas E. wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 2:23:43 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> >> ...and Siri isn't simply using voice recognition:
> >>

> >> 'With Maps open in CarPlay, do one of the following:
> >>
> >> Select a place you saved as a favorite. (See Save favorite places
> >> in Maps on iPhone.)
> >>
> >> Select Destinations, then select a recent destination or scroll to
> >> select a destination you saved in a collection. (See Organize
> >> places in My Guides in Maps on iPhone.)
> >>
> >> Select Search, then select the Microphone button to speak a search
> >> phrase, or select the Keyboard button to use the onscreen keyboard
> >> (if available). You can also select a destination from a category
> >> of nearby services, such as Parking or Restaurants.'
> >>
> >> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph215b053f6/ios>
> >>
> >> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting
> >> "Search" using Siri.
> >
> > CarPlay does use Siri.
> >
> > https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-siri-iph0aa8c80e6/ios#:~:text=CarPlay%20uses%20Siri%20voice%20control,in%20controls%20to%20control%20CarPlay.)
> >
> > Use Siri to ask a question or to do something. Siri: Say something
> > like: “Get directions to the nearest coffee shop” “Call Eliza Block”
> > “Play more songs like this one” “Show me the map” “What’s my next
> > meeting?” “What’s the weather for today?”
> That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay.
>
> Your statement is analogous to claiming a peripheral such as a printer
> "uses" the operating system.
>
> You have it backwards.
>
> Siri isn't the voice recognition facility of iOS.
>
> Siri is a digital assistant that USES the voice recognition facility of iOS.
>
> You can turn off Siri completely, and still use speech-to-text.
> >
> > In fact Siri has to be enabled for any voice commands to work on
> > CarPlay devices.
> >
> > https://stereoupgrade.com/how-to-use-carplay-without-siri/
> >
> > In any event when I try to get that location via Siri on my iPad or
> > iPhone the street number also drops out. It worked for you. Maybe
> > voice recognition issue?
> Operator error, or...
>
> ...far more likely...
>
> ...deliberate misuse by you.
>
> Post a video including what YOU said.
>
> You've demanded video after video from me, so put up or shut up, you
> lying Little Shit.

So, I now understand that you can use Apple Maps (and other Apple apps) with Siri turned off by using the mic icon in the search bar. Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have also discovered that you can use Google Maps with voice search by speaking Hey Siri/Hey Google asking for directions to an address. That brings up Google maps with spoken directions with no manual interaction. That does not work within CarPlay though. Siri says you can't use Google search while driving. Good to know too.

So, let me get this all straight before I make any more videos.

You: " That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay." Me: (Please at least spell CarPlay correctly!)

Me: You claim that I can turn off Siri and still use CarPlay by opening Apple Maps in CarPlay and typing in a destination?

You: Post a video with sound showing the 12999 address error with Siri lookup and you will admit it's really an error?

Here is what I plan to do:
1. Use a second phone to record the video in order to capture sound.
2. Turn off Siri.
3. Use the mic in the Maps search bar to try and find the 12999 address by dictation only.
4. Turn Siri back on.
5. Retraining Siri voice recognition is required, and will be performed.
6. Use Siri to try and find the 12999 address.

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<u3uc2a$36655$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14171&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14171

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 15:34:50 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 15 May 2023 22:34 UTC

On 2023-05-15 04:30, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 1:12:36 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting

>>> CarPlay does use Siri.
>>>
>>> https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-siri-iph0aa8c80e6/ios#:~:text=CarPlay%20uses%20Siri%20voice%20control,in%20controls%20to%20control%20CarPlay.)

Use Siri to ask a question or to do something. Siri: Say something
>>> like: “Get directions to the nearest coffee shop” “Call Eliza
>>> Block” “Play more songs like this one” “Show me the map” “What’s
>>> my next meeting?” “What’s the weather for today?”
>> That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay.
>>
>> Your statement is analogous to claiming a peripheral such as a
>> printer "uses" the operating system.
>>
>> You have it backwards.
>>
>> Siri isn't the voice recognition facility of iOS.
>>
>> Siri is a digital assistant that USES the voice recognition
>> facility of iOS.
>>
>> You can turn off Siri completely, and still use speech-to-text.
>>>
>>> In fact Siri has to be enabled for any voice commands to work on
>>> CarPlay devices.
>>>
>>> https://stereoupgrade.com/how-to-use-carplay-without-siri/
>>>
>>> In any event when I try to get that location via Siri on my iPad
>>> or iPhone the street number also drops out. It worked for you.
>>> Maybe voice recognition issue?
>> Operator error, or...
>>
>> ...far more likely...
>>
>> ...deliberate misuse by you.
>>
>> Post a video including what YOU said.
>>
>> You've demanded video after video from me, so put up or shut up,
>> you lying Little Shit.
>
> So, I now understand that you can use Apple Maps (and other Apple
> apps) with Siri turned off by using the mic icon in the search bar.
> Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.

It was utterly obvious, but you're wellcome.

> I have also discovered that you can use Google Maps with voice search
> by speaking Hey Siri/Hey Google asking for directions to an address.
> That brings up Google maps with spoken directions with no manual
> interaction.

Sorry, but I would like to see a video of you bringing up Google Maps
with "Hey Google" on an iPhone.

> That does not work within CarPlay though. Siri says you
> can't use Google search while driving. Good to know too.
>
> So, let me get this all straight before I make any more videos.
>
> You: " That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay." Me: (Please
> at least spell CarPlay correctly!)
>
> Me: You claim that I can turn off Siri and still use CarPlay by
> opening Apple Maps in CarPlay and typing in a destination?

I would expect so, yes. Frankly, I'd expect you could still use
voice-to-text, but I don't know precisely how it works because I haven't
had a lot of opportunity to play with CarPlay as my BMW doesn't have it.

> You: Post a video with sound showing the 12999 address error with
> Siri lookup and you will admit it's really an error?

I wrote nothing remotely like that.

> Here is what I plan to do: 1. Use a second phone to record the video
> in order to capture sound. 2. Turn off Siri. 3. Use the mic in the
> Maps search bar to try and find the 12999 address by dictation only.
> 4. Turn Siri back on. 5. Retraining Siri voice recognition is
> required, and will be performed. 6. Use Siri to try and find the
> 12999 address.

How about you do the last part first, Little Shit?

How about you simply make a video including your voice saying:

"Hey Siri, driving directions to 12999 Pennsylvania Street".

....hmmm?

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<aa7c3822-166f-4b6a-a83e-12cff507f094n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14184&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14184

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 14:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:33 UTC

On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 6:37:05 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-05-15 04:30, Thomas E. wrote:

> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting

> Use Siri to ask a question or to do something. Siri: Say something
> >> That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay.
> >>
> >> Your statement is analogous to claiming a peripheral such as a
> >> printer "uses" the operating system.
> >>
> >> You have it backwards.
> >>
> >> Siri isn't the voice recognition facility of iOS.
> >>
> >> Siri is a digital assistant that USES the voice recognition
> >> facility of iOS.
> >>
> >> You can turn off Siri completely, and still use speech-to-text.

> >> Operator error, or...
> >>
> >> ...far more likely...
> >>
> >> ...deliberate misuse by you.
> >>
> >> Post a video including what YOU said.
> >>
> >> You've demanded video after video from me, so put up or shut up,
> >> you lying Little Shit.
> >
> > So, I now understand that you can use Apple Maps (and other Apple
> > apps) with Siri turned off by using the mic icon in the search bar.
> > Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.
> It was utterly obvious, but you're wellcome.
> >
> > I have also discovered that you can use Google Maps with voice search
> > by speaking Hey Siri/Hey Google asking for directions to an address.
> > That brings up Google maps with spoken directions with no manual
> > interaction.
> Sorry, but I would like to see a video of you bringing up Google Maps
> with "Hey Google" on an iPhone.
> > That does not work within CarPlay though. Siri says you
> > can't use Google search while driving. Good to know too.
> >
> > So, let me get this all straight before I make any more videos.
> >
> > You: " That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay." Me: (Please
> > at least spell CarPlay correctly!)
> >
> > Me: You claim that I can turn off Siri and still use CarPlay by
> > opening Apple Maps in CarPlay and typing in a destination?
> I would expect so, yes. Frankly, I'd expect you could still use
> voice-to-text, but I don't know precisely how it works because I haven't
> had a lot of opportunity to play with CarPlay as my BMW doesn't have it.
> >
> > You: Post a video with sound showing the 12999 address error with
> > Siri lookup and you will admit it's really an error?
> I wrote nothing remotely like that.
> >
> > Here is what I plan to do: 1. Use a second phone to record the video
> > in order to capture sound. 2. Turn off Siri. 3. Use the mic in the
> > Maps search bar to try and find the 12999 address by dictation only.
> > 4. Turn Siri back on. 5. Retraining Siri voice recognition is
> > required, and will be performed. 6. Use Siri to try and find the
> > 12999 address.
> How about you do the last part first, Little Shit?
>
> How about you simply make a video including your voice saying:
>
> "Hey Siri, driving directions to 12999 Pennsylvania Street".
>
> ...hmmm?

Well, I have had 4 years of CarPlay experience spread over 3 cars. My Honda Insight, the current Accord and the wife's 2015 CRV with a retrofit Pioneer entertainment system/wireless CarPlay have taught me a lot. At least you were honest about lack of first hand knowledge. Hint, CarPlay has no non-Siri option. As I show in the video below CarPlay will not even run unless Siri is active on your controlling iPhone. Siri is the only CarPlay voice command. Hello Google verbal search is not permitted on the CarPlay platform. FYI you can get to Google Maps verbal search with 3 finger touches: Map screen/Search/Microphone icon is the touch combination once Google Maps is in full screen mode. If not on CarPlay no touching is required for Google Maps directions: Hey Siri/Hey Google/Go to <say destination address> takes you to Google Maps with the route up on Google Maps and ready to be started from current location. Why not on CarPlay? Apple wants you to use THEIR inferior voice response and Maps. If you are already in the Maps app and make a Siri destination request why does Siri need "navigate to..."? Makes no sense to me.

Sorry it took a few days, but here is the detailed Car Play video with narration. In the car, in the garage and out, using Siri/Apple Maps and Google/Google Maps. Siri fails on multiple levels. Car Play will not even run unless Siri is enabled. Why? Google Maps needs 3 tries to find bakerMedia, but otherwise flawless.

It's a lot more detailed and honest video than your attempt by someone with limited experience. Note that the upload finished at about 1720 EDT today 19 May. It takes Google some time to do their processing and make it playable from the cloud. Suggest you wait a few hours before trying access. 1.28 GB 60 FPS 1080p HD.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SDYVyHb79Qf1mk97NDUOxAxbIQ9zmsoS/view?usp=share_link

More links on Siri shortcomings vs. Google:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/04/27/apple-employees-siri-struggles/

https://www.pocket-lint.com/google-assistant-vs-alexa-vs-siri-personal-assistants/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2021/05/31/check-out-how-google-assistant-and-apples-siri-compare/5255035001/

https://www.androidcentral.com/why-google-assistant-and-alexa-have-unbeatable-lead-siri-bixby-and-rest

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-siri-vs-amazon-alexa-vs-google-assistant-tests-reveal-which-is-smartest/

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<u48td6$q9eq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14185&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14185

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 15:32:06 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 19 May 2023 22:32 UTC

On 2023-05-19 14:33, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 6:37:05 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting

Use Siri to ask a question or to do something. Siri: Say something

>>> So, I now understand that you can use Apple Maps (and other
>>> Apple apps) with Siri turned off by using the mic icon in the
>>> search bar. Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.
>> It was utterly obvious, but you're wellcome.
>>>
>>> I have also discovered that you can use Google Maps with voice
>>> search by speaking Hey Siri/Hey Google asking for directions to
>>> an address. That brings up Google maps with spoken directions
>>> with no manual interaction.
>> Sorry, but I would like to see a video of you bringing up Google
>> Maps with "Hey Google" on an iPhone.
>>> That does not work within CarPlay though. Siri says you can't use
>>> Google search while driving. Good to know too.
>>>
>>> So, let me get this all straight before I make any more videos.
>>>
>>> You: " That shows you can use SIRI to control Carplay." Me:
>>> (Please at least spell CarPlay correctly!)
>>>
>>> Me: You claim that I can turn off Siri and still use CarPlay by
>>> opening Apple Maps in CarPlay and typing in a destination?
>> I would expect so, yes. Frankly, I'd expect you could still use
>> voice-to-text, but I don't know precisely how it works because I
>> haven't had a lot of opportunity to play with CarPlay as my BMW
>> doesn't have it.
>>>
>>> You: Post a video with sound showing the 12999 address error
>>> with Siri lookup and you will admit it's really an error?
>> I wrote nothing remotely like that.
>>>
>>> Here is what I plan to do: 1. Use a second phone to record the
>>> video in order to capture sound. 2. Turn off Siri. 3. Use the mic
>>> in the Maps search bar to try and find the 12999 address by
>>> dictation only. 4. Turn Siri back on. 5. Retraining Siri voice
>>> recognition is required, and will be performed. 6. Use Siri to
>>> try and find the 12999 address.
>> How about you do the last part first, Little Shit?
>>
>> How about you simply make a video including your voice saying:
>>
>> "Hey Siri, driving directions to 12999 Pennsylvania Street".
>>
>> ...hmmm?
>
> Well, I have had 4 years of CarPlay experience spread over 3 cars. My
> Honda Insight, the current Accord and the wife's 2015 CRV with a
> retrofit Pioneer entertainment system/wireless CarPlay have taught me
> a lot. At least you were honest about lack of first hand knowledge.

Yes. I am by my nature, very honest.

> Hint, CarPlay has no non-Siri option. As I show in the video below
> CarPlay will not even run unless Siri is active on your controlling
> iPhone. Siri is the only CarPlay voice command.

So that is a CHOICE Apple has made; most likely because they want you to
not interact with a touchscreen unless there is no other way.

> Hello Google verbal
> search is not permitted on the CarPlay platform.

So? How is that relevant?

> FYI you can get to
> Google Maps verbal search with 3 finger touches: Map
> screen/Search/Microphone icon is the touch combination once Google
> Maps is in full screen mode.

Yup. iOS. Map screen, tap text entry box, tap microphone icon in keyboard.

> If not on CarPlay no touching is
> required for Google Maps directions:

Stop mixing these two things up.

> Hey Siri/Hey Google/Go to <say
> destination address> takes you to Google Maps with the route up on
> Google Maps and ready to be started from current location. Why not on
> CarPlay? Apple wants you to use THEIR inferior voice response and
> Maps. If you are already in the Maps app and make a Siri destination
> request why does Siri need "navigate to..."? Makes no sense to me.

Because, you incredible simpleton:

SIRI IS NOT JUST VOICE RECOGNITION.

You can use Siri while you happen to be looking at the Maps app...

....because Siri can do other things!

You're not using Google's equivalent of Siri when you tap the microphone
icon from within Google maps. That is equivalent to tapping the
microphone icon in Apple

> Sorry it took a few days, but here is the detailed Car Play video
> with narration. In the car, in the garage and out, using Siri/Apple
> Maps and Google/Google Maps. Siri fails on multiple levels. Car Play
> will not even run unless Siri is enabled. Why? Google Maps needs 3
> tries to find bakerMedia, but otherwise flawless.
>
> It's a lot more detailed and honest video than your attempt by
> someone with limited experience. Note that the upload finished at
> about 1720 EDT today 19 May. It takes Google some time to do their
> processing and make it playable from the cloud. Suggest you wait a
> few hours before trying access. 1.28 GB 60 FPS 1080p HD.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SDYVyHb79Qf1mk97NDUOxAxbIQ9zmsoS/view?usp=share_link

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<a781693e-40dd-4c22-83fc-10029252c076n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14186&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14186

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 04:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 21 May 2023 11:48 UTC

<u4gqdi$29h09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14187&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14187

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:30:10 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 22 May 2023 22:30 UTC

On 2023-05-21 04:48, Thomas E. wrote:
> [...]
>> but you need to find that under Settings:Accessibility:Siri, not
>> under "Siri & Search" (which is a little dumb).
>>
>> BTW, you can turn on the option to have Siri always show what it
>> has interpreted as what you spoke. When I did that for your "go
>> to/two/too one two nine nine nine pennsylvania street", it shows
>> very quickly what happened.
>>
>> Also, BTW. Siri would happily give you "driving directions to manor
>> care carmel indiana" (replying "Getting driving directions to HCR
>> ManorCare..." And despite all the obscure little clubs Apple Maps
>> didn't have data for, you somehow just overlooked that option,
>> huh?
>>
>> Also, also, BTW, your vaunted Google Maps fails utterly to find
>> YOUR business... ...even if I type it in so there can be no error.
>> "FXXXXXXN LLC"
>>
>> Interesting you were happy to dox me, but didn't want to show that

<u4h7l2$2e99o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14188&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14188

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 19:16:01 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 23 May 2023 02:16 UTC

On 2023-05-21 04:48, Thomas E. wrote:
> [...]
>
> What's the point of wanting "Hey Google" in place of "Hey Siri" on iPhone? It actually works where Siri fails. After all, I can choose my default browser and email. Why not voice commands too? Apple forces you to use Siri, a clearly inferior solution. You just proved it. Thanks very much.
>
> Finally, I only had one bar of cell reception in the garage. Not on the video there were some lookup failures, so I left the garage for better reception.

<8365eb50-20db-4756-8290-4ba2ef3263acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14189&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14189

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 04:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Thu, 25 May 2023 11:53 UTC

<251b71e7-e575-4267-9252-29af57d5e372n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14191&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14191

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 05:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Thu, 25 May 2023 12:15 UTC

<u4pcma$3sgil$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14193&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14193

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 21:31:05 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 26 May 2023 04:31 UTC

On 2023-05-25 04:53, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 6:30:14 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

>> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting

>> Use Siri to ask a question or to do something. Siri: Say something

>> In any event when I try to get that location via Siri on my

>> So, just by retraining "Hey Siri", you should know that Siri does a lot

>>> Alan, Alan, Alan.
>> Little Shit, Little Shit, Little Shit.
>>>
>>> Siri is voice recognition. Any time you say Hey Siri your device
>>> starts listening and Siri turns your voice commands to actions
>>> programmed into the system.
>> No. Siri is a digital assistant that USES voice recognition.
>>
>> If Siri was only voice recognition, it wouldn't do anything with the
>> words you spoke.
>>
>> Your first error was trying to use Siri as if it only did directions, so
>> you thought simply speaking an address
>>>
>>> OK, I just followed your very precise driving directions search
>>> phrase. You are right it does work. BUT if I omit "Carmel Indiana" it
>>> fails. If say "Navigate To" or "Go To" it fails. Thanks, you make my
>>> point. Siri requires a very precise spoken phrase to find this
>>> address.
>> Let's see the video...you lying Little Shit.
>>> Google does not. "Go To" and "Drive To" work just fine for
>>> Google Maps. Google is much better at interpreting context and
>>> performing the requested task.
>> Because Google MAPS has a tighter FOCUS. Google MAPS assumes that
>> anything you SPEAK to when tapping the microphone icon in Google MAPS is
>> in the context of a LOCATION.
>>>
>>> What's the point of wanting "Hey Google" in place of "Hey Siri" on
>>> iPhone? It actually works where Siri fails.
>> You talk about "Hey Google" doing something that "Hey Siri" doesn't (and
>> expose that you don't actually know what it would do, because the
>> activating phrase for Google's voice assistant is "Okay Google"), but no
>> actual example has show you USING "Hey Google".
>>
>> Funny that.
>>> After all, I can choose
>>> my default browser and email. Why not voice commands too? Apple
>>> forces you to use Siri, a clearly inferior solution. You just proved
>>> it. Thanks very much.
>> You just proved you're a lying Little Shit.
>>
>> Again.
>>>
>>> Finally, I only had one bar of cell reception in the garage. Not on
>>> the video there were some lookup failures, so I left the garage for
>>> better reception.
>> Ah, so your video was edited.
>>
>> Got it.
>
> No, the video was not edited. When I started the video session I saw the issue, then started over.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<u4pcsq$3sgil$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14194&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14194

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 21:34:34 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 26 May 2023 04:34 UTC

On 2023-05-25 05:15, Thomas E. wrote:
> [...]
>> Ah, so your video was edited.
>>
>> Got it.
>
> You lie again when you said:
>
> "You talk about "Hey Google" doing something that "Hey Siri" doesn't
> (and expose that you don't actually know what it would do, because
> the activating phrase for Google's voice assistant is "Okay Google"),
> but no actual example has show you USING "Hey Google"."
>
> We have 7 Google Assistant speaker devices in our home. How many do
> you have?
>
> "OK Google" "Hi Google" and "Hey Google" all activate a device with
> Google Assistant voice response.
>
> The default is "Hey Google":
> https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/9249169?hl=en
>
> You don't have CarPlay in your car and you don't have much experience
> with Google Assistant. You lie when you imply to know these
> technologies based on extensive personal use.

<c953c919-e09a-4f51-bc3c-ff12e8a64304n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14195&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14195

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 06:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sat, 27 May 2023 13:56 UTC

On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 2:23:43 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> ...and Siri isn't simply using voice recognition:
>

> 'With Maps open in CarPlay, do one of the following:
>
> Select a place you saved as a favorite. (See Save favorite places in
> Maps on iPhone.)
>
> Select Destinations, then select a recent destination or scroll to
> select a destination you saved in a collection. (See Organize places in
> My Guides in Maps on iPhone.)
>
> Select Search, then select the Microphone button to speak a search
> phrase, or select the Keyboard button to use the onscreen keyboard (if
> available). You can also select a destination from a category of nearby
> services, such as Parking or Restaurants.'
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph215b053f6/ios>
>
> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting "Search"
> using Siri.

When you press the mic button Siri pops up.

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...

<a8728e85-c1bf-4c85-b8dd-30dccd61865an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14197&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14197

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 08:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sat, 27 May 2023 15:14 UTC

<u4thsc$gdt4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14200&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14200

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 11:24:11 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 27 May 2023 18:24 UTC

On 2023-05-27 06:56, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 2:23:43 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
>> ...and Siri isn't simply using voice recognition:
>>

>> 'With Maps open in CarPlay, do one of the following:
>>
>> Select a place you saved as a favorite. (See Save favorite places in
>> Maps on iPhone.)
>>
>> Select Destinations, then select a recent destination or scroll to
>> select a destination you saved in a collection. (See Organize places in
>> My Guides in Maps on iPhone.)
>>
>> Select Search, then select the Microphone button to speak a search
>> phrase, or select the Keyboard button to use the onscreen keyboard (if
>> available). You can also select a destination from a category of nearby
>> services, such as Parking or Restaurants.'
>>
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph215b053f6/ios>
>>
>> Notice they never once call speaking an address after selecting "Search"
>> using Siri.
>
> When you press the mic button Siri pops up.

Voice RECOGNITION pops up.

When you press the button microphone button IN MAPS IN CARPLAY...

....you can only give it ADDRESSES...

....because MAPS can't launch other apps.

....or tell you the weather...

....or dial a phone number.

SIRI can do all those things.

Re: Carplay isn't Siri...