All constants are variables.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

SubjectAuthor
* Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmicky
+* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCMajorLanGod
|+* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmicky
||`* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCHerbert Kleebauer
|| `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCRudolph Rhein
||  `- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCHerbert Kleebauer
|`- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCFromTheRafters
+* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCPaul
|`- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmicky
+* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCAndy Burns
|`- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmicky
+* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCJim Dell
|`- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmicky
+- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmilsabords
+* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCVanguardLH
> [...]
||    `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCBrian Gregory
||     +- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCVanguardLH
||     `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCThe Real Bev
||      `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCFrank Slootweg
||       `- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCThe Real Bev
|`* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCJ.B. Wood
| `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCVanguardLH
|  `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCJ.B. Wood
|   `* Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCVanguardLH
|    `- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCJ.B. Wood
`- Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PCmicky

Pages:1234
Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm5hlh$pqc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35424&group=comp.mobile.android#35424

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:05:50 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 18:05 UTC

VanguardLH used his or her keyboard to write :

> Those that have or consider cloud storage are NOT interested in toting
> around a hard drive (HDD or SSD).

While you can tote around your 10TB USB drive, usually it stays at home.

> They want their files available
> anywhere, even on someone else's computer that is locked down to kill
> all the USB ports making that portable drive useless, but they still let
> you use a web browser.

How often do you really need a file when you're "anywhere" (not home)?
And what kind of files are they?
Why not just put just /those/ files onto the portable computer or phone?

As I said, few people tote the USB drive so the web browser is heavier. :)

> There's no abusing or destroying USB port with a cloud drive. Users are
> often rough on port hardware, sometimes so much so that they come here
> asking for help on how to replace a USB port. You can use a
> sledgehammer on your computer, but that won't affect your cloud files.

Hardware is a minor issue although the cloud (usually) never crashes (but
it has many other issues so you have to balance them against that aspect).

> Also, the cloud storage services do backups versus users that rarely
> schedule them to run at periodic intervals nor save a backup before
> committing a major change. Even if they add the 2 TB external USB
> drive, they're likely using it as primary storage, not to schedule
> backups to save the image files on that 2 TB drive. You can restore
> OneDrive to a prior time state.

Cloud is definitely more reliable.
But can you tell me WHY they make it so easy to use the cloud for free?

> So, you'll probably want to use that 2 TB external USB drive to store
> your own backups rather than rely on reverting to prior file versions in
> Google Drive. If so, schedule periodic backup jobs. Don't rely on you
> remembering to do the backups, because you won't do them often enough.
> OneDrive has better recovery methods, but I'd still keep local backups.

Agree that few people remember to do backups religiously which is where the
automated cloud backup excels in practice against the manual home backup.

But why do they offer you all that cloud storage for free?
And why do they make it so easy to put all your data onto their servers?

> There are folks that are leery or paranoid about storing their files in
> the cloud despite the vast majority of their files having nothing
> sensitive within them.

I'm sure law enforcement, when a serious enough crime has been suspected,
will find items of use in that data, down to meta data & time stamps.

Probably some of the most sensitive data, of course, are medical records,
financial transactions, photographic records, call logs, contacts, etc.

The problem is that a person who easily glides into the comfort zone of
cloud storage isn't likely a person to be sensitive about that stuff.

That's fine until someone nefarious gets a hold of their data trove.

> So, just don't store those highly sensitive
> files anywhere the client-side cloud client will synchronize some
> folders.

I don't think the person who is easily induced to use cloud storage has the
sensitivity that you might have toward NOT storing sensitive data there.

Seems like two different personalities to me because not storing data on
cloud servers is just as easy as storing the data on the cloud servers.

> Or, geez, encrypt your files before putting them in a folder
> the cloud client syncs to your online account.

Again, encryption works (as far as anyone who knows will say about it), but
the person who uses cloud storage isn't likely the same person who
understands encryption tools.

Cloud storage is like a fishing net that catches all the slower fish.

> Folks that do encrypt
> forget there is an unencrypted copy still on their computer in
> unallocated file space, and don't bother to wipe free space after
> encryption, so they are locally vulnerable after encryption.

Not if you use proper encryption methods. There are concerns about opened
files and containers which can be minimized by automatic time-based
closing, and there's the issue of cached passwords for convenience, which
can then be automatically wiped on exit but all that is in the settings.

> Encryption
> creates a new file, but I've not seen encryptors that wipe the file
> space occupied by the original file (even if they have an option to
> delete the original) nor their buffer space.

I just realized you might be unaware of encrypted container files.

Try not to think of encryption so much as the earlier PGP method but more
as a later Truecrypt method, where your data file is only one file always.

> And, for Pete sake, use a
> strong password when encrypting, and NEVER rely on your account login
> credentials to protect your files from hackers. For the rest of users,
> their files have nothing highly sensitive. You don't need to protect
> your Mother's Day happy message from potential hackers, and if the
> hackers got into your account then they have ALL your contacts, not just
> mom's e-mail address.

Most of us do not follow the rules of a strong password changed frequently,
with a different strong password on every account and on every encrypted
file container but some people do. I don't. I get lazy like many others do.

Everything is based on what you perceive as your threat, although it's
likely whatever you think the threat is, it's probably worse because you
don't know what you don't know.

There's a rule in war that says don't defend against what you think the
enemy will do (because that won't work if he does something else instead).

What you defend against is what the enemy can do.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm5i52$11tk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35425&group=comp.mobile.android#35425

From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 18:13:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: grinch - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 18:13 UTC

On 29/11/2022 2:14, The Real Bev wrote:

> Considering minimizing even small expenditures is how people manage to
> retire early.

Some people gloat that they spend money while others are happy to save it.

I think people who gloat are trying to justify their illogical actions by
_deprecating_ your logical actions of not wasting your money on garbage.

This AJL character calls you "cheap" for not wasting your money like he
does, and that's fine that he thinks that way - but it's false logic.

You're just smart.

Instead of this AJL character gloating that he wastes money on unnecessary
subscriptions, why doesn't he, instead, explain what he gets for his
subscriptions you don't get for free simply by virtue of smart decisions?

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<1gek7xegrbypu$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35427&group=comp.mobile.android#35427

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:55:19 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 18:55 UTC

FromTheRafters <erratic@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> But can you tell me WHY they make it so easy to use the cloud for
> free?

It's a lure, like those days the grocery stores have samples. 5GB or
15GB seems bigs to you, but to those that rely on it heavily that quota
soon becomes too small, so they buy more.

> Probably some of the most sensitive data, of course, are medical
> records, financial transactions, photographic records, call logs,
> contacts, etc.

Encrypt them. Don't rely on login credentials to protect your online
data, especially if you're lazy by reusing the same login at every site
where you have an account. Any files with sensitive data gets encrypted
locally, so it's encrypted online, and while online a hacker has to get
past my unique login credentials for the site, and then crack the
encryption on the sensitive files.

Just because it's the cloud doesn't make your data less secure to the
gov't. If they get a court order, they can walk into your home to
confiscate your computer. The same for a burglar that eyes your laptop
or netbook. Or thieves at the airport or cafe waiting your moment of
inattention. Microsoft came out with Bitlocker (which was years after
similar solutions existed for whole-partition encryption, like
TrueCrypt) to help corporations protect company data on portable
computers doled out to their employees. How many folks encrypt their
local files containing sensitive data?

> Not if you use proper encryption methods. There are concerns about
> opened files and containers which can be minimized by automatic
> time-based closing, and there's the issue of cached passwords for
> convenience, which can then be automatically wiped on exit but all
> that is in the settings.

Please identify an encryption tool that automatically wipes the memory
blocks it used while processing file, and also wipes the sectors on the
drive for both the working copy or buffer and also the sectors that were
previously occupied by the original file. Hell, most encryption tools
never delete the original file. When done, you have the original and
encrypted versions of the file. Then it's up to you to delete and wipe.

> I just realized you might be unaware of encrypted container files.

I use Truecrypt which can create encrypted containers that you mount as
a drive, or can encrypt an entire partition similar to how Bitlocker
works. I've also used encryption tools that just work on individual
files, and those use to encrypt files stored within compressed archive
files (Zips w/password) beyond the original Zip encryption which is
vulnerable.

Are you aware that when you move a file into a Truecrypt container after
it has been mounted as a drive, that you still have sectors on the prior
volume for the contents of the original file? A move is a copy and
delete. And even you know deleting a file doesn't make it forever
irrevocably inaccessible. Truecrypt had an article on content
vulnerability due to remnant sectors and memory blocks, but I can't find
it right now. Truecrypt containers behave just like other volumes after
mounted. When you move a file from volume to volume, the original still
exists on the prior volume. Removing file system references does not
wipe the sectors. Those get overwritten whenever they need to get
reused. A move operation that incorporated a copy operation, delete
operation, sector wipe operation, and memory block wipe would take a lot
longer to move a file.

> Everything is based on what you perceive as your threat, although it's
> likely whatever you think the threat is, it's probably worse because you
> don't know what you don't know.

Security is nice, but not when it becomes overly inconvenient. You can
up security so high as to make your computer unusable to you, or access
to your files a severe pain. You need to be comfortable with the level
of security you employ, or you won't use it.

I've read replies from users that say they couldn't give a gnat's fart
about whether or not their computers get infected, or how their
computers can be used as bots in attacks elsewhere. They don't care
about anyone but themself. When their computer gets unusable, they
format and install a fresh copy of the OS to start over. Damn everyone
else.

> There's a rule in war that says don't defend against what you think the
> enemy will do (because that won't work if he does something else instead).

And yet strategy is part of every war campaign. Plan, and change.

> What you defend against is what the enemy can do.

Assuming you know that. And one you know what they can do, you still
need to plan on what they might do. Being completely reactive means you
are likely to lose the battle. You need to be proactive, too.

For many years, our QA department was reactive. Dev would finish a
major release, and dump it on us whereupon we had to scurry about trying
to figure out what changed, learn new technologies, and try to catch up.
Later we became proactive by working with Dev on incremental changes,
more granular communication, and working with the programmers to know
the product before it got dumped on us. Knowing what they might do
would, in no way, prepare us for what they did.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<1lm2z3mniwpzh.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35429&group=comp.mobile.android#35429

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:39:19 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 19:39 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> On 29/11/2022 14:49, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 23:08:00 -0800, The Real Bev
>> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have six gmail accounts.
>>
>> Just curious--why? What do you see as the advantage of having more
>> than one?
>
> Yes. I'm wondering that.
>
> I'm seriously considering using one Gmail account to deal with all three
> of my email addresses.

You might segment e-mail accounts like you create folders in your
computer: to organize content by usage, type, or whatever sorting
criteria you choose. For example, you could have one e-mail for
personal use (family, friends), another for work-related messages
between coworkers versus another for work-related messages from
outsiders (like you're in Sales), another for a group of programmers you
work with outside of work to develop software you sell, another for
messages related to Craiglist where you sell/buy stuff, and so on. Or
you could use one e-mail account, and use rules to organize the
differing content into folders. You could, for example, add an
Untrusted subfolder under your Inbox, and use a rule to moves any
message not from a contact into the Untrusted subfolder. You could have
a Work subfolder into which all e-mails from coworkers get moved. Maybe
you're into couponing, so you subscribe to coupons, but you don't want
those senders abusing your true or personal e-mail address, so you give
them an alias or disposable account. Or you maintain secondary accounts
that used with unknown and untrusted senders that you might have to kill
those accounts if and when they start spamming you, and wait a year to
let them have your real e-mail address while watching if they abused
your secondary one.

I have multiple accounts where each is used for a different purpose, but
not where it becomes difficult to manage them all. I also employ an
aliasing e-mail service to protect my true e-mail address. Not a
forwarding service since replies will originate from your true e-mail
address, and can divulge it in a reply. Replies go back through an
aliasing service, so headers make it look like the reply originated from
there, and they even scan the body looking for your true e-mail address
to replace with the aliased e-mail address, like in signatures. For
every unknown or untrusted sender, I can dole out a different alias to
each. I even do that when opening new accounts for some known but
yet-to-be-trusted senders, like a hardware store, grocery store,
pharmacy, etc. Trust is earned, not given immediately and
unconditionally. Since each sender is give a unique alias, if it ever
gets abused then I know exactly who abused it. I can kill an alias when
it get abused with no effect on my true e-mail account, because the
aliased e-mails get redirected to my true e-mail address.

Some folks use rules and folder for message organization. I do that,
too. Some folks use aliasing as frontend protection of their true
e-mail address. Some folks use alternate or disposable e-mail accounts
for similar reasons. Depends on how you want to organize your messages,
and how you want to protect your accounts.

Why do some users prefer to have multiple drives on their computer
rather than one huge drive? Sometimes its to recoup old hardware in a
new build, but could also be for someone that wants to organize
different types of data onto different volumes. Hell, you can have
multiple partitions on the same drive to give you multiple volumes. Why
do we use folders and subfolders to store our data? Organization.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tr2xxzvdhuk9$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35430&group=comp.mobile.android#35430

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:03:59 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:03 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> On 29/11/2022 07:08, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I have six gmail accounts.  When I log in to an account with a tablet
>> that google hasn't seen for a while I get a number of security alerts in
>> various accounts.  Fortunately I don't have to actually DO anything.
>>
>> I have photos going up to <date> in one account and <date+n> in another.
>>  2.5GB in one (I haven't deleted the takeouts, plus there's a video
>> that I share with a lot of people) and 853 MB in another.
>>
>> Apparently they don't care.
>
> So a basically a tiny amount.
>
> I have nearly 80GB of backups in my one Google account and pay for 100GB.

$2/month is pretty cheap. However, if I could find a /good/
consolidation service that's free, I'd combine multiple free Google
Drive accounts. Without a consolidator, yeah, I'd probably pay if I
needed, in a single account, more than 15 GB quota of a free account.
If and when I need more than 15 GB in a single account, I'll probably
first look at consolidation. If too cumbersome then look at upping the
storage quota for an account.

With consolidation (like what you get using a local e-mail client across
multiple accounts), I'd go free. Without consolidation, I could pay for
more storage, or organize the data across multiple free accounts (I'd
probably name the accounts to hint what type of data was stored there).

Since I have to be at a computer to be using any cloud storage, and
albeit a tiny nuisance, I can tote a 1 TB USB flash drive, too, as yet
another choice (aka Sneakernet). There have been times when cloud
storage was unusable, inaccessible, or unreachable. There have been
failures with flash drives.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<efqcohdakdltj43apuncal972675n3868q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35431&group=comp.mobile.android#35431

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:25:09 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:25 UTC

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 13:39:19 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 29/11/2022 14:49, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Just curious--why? What do you see as the advantage of having more
>>> than one?
>>
>> Yes. I'm wondering that.
>>
>> I'm seriously considering using one Gmail account to deal with all three
>> of my email addresses.
>
>You might segment e-mail accounts like you create folders in your
>computer: to organize content by usage, type, or whatever sorting
>criteria you choose. For example, you could have one e-mail for
>personal use (family, friends), another for work-related messages
>between coworkers versus another for work-related messages from
>outsiders (like you're in Sales), another for a group of programmers you
>work with outside of work to develop software you sell, another for
>messages related to Craiglist where you sell/buy stuff, and so on. Or
>you could use one e-mail account, and use rules to organize the
>differing content into folders.

Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<2mztm7qxip7n.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35432&group=comp.mobile.android#35432

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:45:58 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:45 UTC

"J.B. Wood" <arl_123234@hotmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Besides the USB dev mode method mentioned by others,
>
> I don't see any mention of putting the Android phone into USB developers
> mode, and even so it would need a specific special option, wouldn't it?
>
> What developers mode option would we set?

Do an online search on "<brand> <model> developer mode usb debug", where
<brand> and <model> are for your particular smartphone. You first have
to enable Developer Mode, and then under that new menu option find the
USB Debugging option to enable it. Until you enable Developer Mode, you
won't have that menu under which to find its options.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm5rfr$1hpk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35433&group=comp.mobile.android#35433

From: RudolphR...@nospam.net (Rudolph Rhein)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:53:27 +0200
 by: Rudolph Rhein - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:53 UTC

Herbert Kleebauer <klee@unibwm.de> wrote:

> First of all, I think it is no good idea, to just show all pictures
> taken with the phone (there maybe are sequences of very similar pictures).
> So the first step would be to choose a subset of the pictures which
> will be presented. The next step ist to do some image processing:
> cropping, hue correction and resizing to a typical screen resolution
> (maybe 1920x1080). There is really no need to transfer 20 MPixel
> pictures if the monitor can only display 2 MPixel. And last but
> not least, put a greater amount of pictures into a single container:
> it is easier to transfer a single pdf file than 200 jpgs and nearly
> every computer can display pdf files (also in full screen mode).

Based on the OP's stated objective, I'm assuming he doesn't want to
"doctor" the Android DCIM directory. He just wants to slide show it.

While there are many solutions, what I think most people would do is use
Irfanview to slideshow the photos directly off the Android sd card (either
internal or external, while it's still in the phone itself of course).

The Irfanview File,Slideshow menu "should" do that for him but it doesn't
"see" the Android files which are on the other end of the USB connection.

Yet Irfanview can see the JPG image files when you doubleclick on them
(which opens automatically in Irfanview by default on my system).

To test that, I plugged my phone into the desktop & opened one of the image
files inside the DCIM Camera folder it wouldn't spacebar to the next image.

It kept saying the end of the folder was reached.
That was with this Irfanview 4.59 (64-bit, Windows 10) option set
Options,Properties/Settings,Browsing/Editing to any of these
"If the end/begin of the folder is reached (during browsing)
Show Browse dialog
Loop current folder
Do nothing (stop)

Oddly, very oddly in fact, as I was testing, at some point the weirdest
thing happened which you can test for yourself, which was one or two or
three of the recent Irfanview images did show up when I hit the spacebar.

I was careful to have only one instance of Irfanview at all times.
These seem to be "cached" somehow internal to Irfanview.

But what didn't happen was what the OP seems to want.

If there's a REASON for Irfanview not browsing an Android folder of images,
it would be useful to know why Irfanview treats each image as its own end
of folder.

Otherwise the OP has to attach the Android file system in a way that a
program like Irfanview can see it as an attached Windows file system.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm5rtf$2b8md$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35434&group=comp.mobile.android#35434

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:00:25 -0700
 by: AJL - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:00 UTC

On 11/29/2022 1:25 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

> as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail account
> with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.

I keep 3 accounts. Me, the wife, and a fake name which I use to sign
anonymously into stuff that demands it. And I'll bet you can guess what
the initials are...

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm5sgn$111$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35435&group=comp.mobile.android#35435

From: RudolphR...@nospam.net (Rudolph Rhein)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 23:11:00 +0200
References: <adh5oh15mq9re51o64ae79m3ln8fu68g9e@4ax.com> <11dfgodclxmzn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm0ovs$1ot45$1@dont-email.me> <1s3fd7tcadn2a$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm1g9c$1tnuj$1@dont-email.me> <wkoko02zhuw3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm4b4h$27lju$1@dont-email.me> <tt6cohpcf7qeid8ro12go5d5o2f2bls38p@4ax.com> <jumrqbFrfhiU2@mid.individual.net> <1lm2z3mniwpzh.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <efqcohdakdltj43apuncal972675n3868q@4ax.com>
 by: Rudolph Rhein - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:11 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
> account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.

Why do some people have more than one vehicle?
Why do some people have more than one pet?
Why do some people have more than one computer.

Hell, I know some people who have more than one driveway.
There are good reasons for wanting more even if you don't know them.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm5tb2$cdd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35436&group=comp.mobile.android#35436

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 16:25:03 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:25 UTC

On 11/29/2022 10:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

> "J.B. Wood" <arl_123234@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Besides the USB dev mode method mentioned by others,
>>
>> I don't see any mention of putting the Android phone into USB developers
>> mode, and even so it would need a specific special option, wouldn't it?
>>
>> What developers mode option would we set?
>
> Do an online search on "<brand> <model> developer mode usb debug", where
> <brand> and <model> are for your particular smartphone. You first have
> to enable Developer Mode, and then under that new menu option find the
> USB Debugging option to enable it. Until you enable Developer Mode, you
> won't have that menu under which to find its options.

I'm well acquainted with Developer mode as it's the first thing I do with a
new phone which is to set the USB Debugging option on (for adb debugging).
Settings,About phone,Software information,Build number(x7)

I can't tell you how many people who did not do that start wailing on the
Internet once they can't get the screen to respond to their hand taps.

I'm only asking you, once you turn on "USB dev mode", what specific setting
you were referring to only because you said "USB dev mode" was another
option "mentioned by others."

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread when I looked.

If you don't know, then we can forget it since I don't think there is an
option there related to the original request although there are options
there for adb over wifi which will be applicable in some solutions such as
Wireless debugging = on/off
But that's not applicable to a USB connection.

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<3b6oflw0toab.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35438&group=comp.mobile.android#35438

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 16:07:29 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:07 UTC

"J.B. Wood" <arl_123234@hotmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> I don't see any mention of putting the Android phone into USB developers
>>> mode, and even so it would need a specific special option, wouldn't it?
>>>
>>> What developers mode option would we set?
>>
>> Do an online search on "<brand> <model> developer mode usb debug",
>> where <brand> and <model> are for your particular smartphone. You
>> first have to enable Developer Mode, and then under that new menu
>> option find the USB Debugging option to enable it. Until you enable
>> Developer Mode, you won't have that menu under which to find its
>> options.
>
> I'm well acquainted with Developer mode as it's the first thing I do
> with a new phone which is to set the USB Debugging option on (for adb
> debugging). Settings,About phone,Software information,Build
> number(x7)

Ah, so you were acting dumb to provoke.

The nav path you gave works on your phone (which is where you tap 7
times to enable the Developer Mode menu, so that nav path is incorrect
for getting at the options under Developer Mode).

Do you guarantee the same nav path (to enable Developer Mode, and close
to where to find its enable menu) works on the OP's unidentified phone?
It won't work on my LG V20 phone. To enable Dev Mode, I go to Settings
-> General -> About phone, and tap 7 times on the Software info entry.
That enables Dev Mode which is under Settings -> General -> Developer
options. My nav paths differ from yours, and perhaps for the OP, too.
With branding customizations of the Android OS, you cannot guarantee
your nav path matches someone else's unless you can verify you're both
using the same smartphones.

The OP didn't identify his, so you don't know what you do is what the OP
should do. That's why I said to look online for instructions for *his*
phone. Neither did you identify your phone, so my nav path could be
(and is) different from yours.

> I'm only asking you, once you turn on "USB dev mode", what specific
> setting you were referring to only because you said "USB dev mode"
> was another option "mentioned by others."

Stated in my second sentence you quoted which contained:

"and then under that new menu option find the USB Debugging option to
enable it."

Because of branding customization, I cannot guarantee the naming of the
option will be exactly the same as mine. You say yours is "adb
debugging". Mine is called "USB debugging". Again why I described the
Dev Mode menu and the USB debug option rather then cite verbatim the nav
paths and menu names for each.

If you can magically divine the OP's brand and model of his smartphone,
give him the *exact* navigation paths for *his* phone on how to enable
Developer Mode and afterwhich how to reach the USB Debugging options for
however they are named on *his* phone.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm611p$1ss1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35439&group=comp.mobile.android#35439

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 17:28:22 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:28 UTC

On 11/29/2022 5:07 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

> Ah, so you were acting dumb to provoke.

Wow. You jump to mean spirited conclusions.
Must I remind you it's YOU who mentioned it.
I just didn't know of any USB Debugging options that could do what you
mentioned. So I asked you which one.

For that, you call me "acting dumb to provoke?"

>> I'm only asking you, once you turn on "USB dev mode", what specific
>> setting you were referring to only because you said "USB dev mode"
>> was another option "mentioned by others."
>
> Stated in my second sentence you quoted which contained:
>
> "and then under that new menu option find the USB Debugging option to
> enable it."

Bbbbuttt what does that do in terms of what the original poster needs?
There are over a hundred different switches in the "USB Debugging" menu.

Since you did not name the specific switch out of those hundred, I can only
assume you meant that the DEFAULT switches will do what the OP asks for.

Bbbbbuuuuuut what is that?
What does enabling USB Debugging do for the OP's cause?

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm629m$2bll3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35441&group=comp.mobile.android#35441

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:49:24 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:49 UTC

On 11/29/22 8:52 AM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 29/11/2022 07:08, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I have six gmail accounts.  When I log in to an account with a tablet
>> that google hasn't seen for a while I get a number of security alerts in
>> various accounts.  Fortunately I don't have to actually DO anything.
>>
>> I have photos going up to <date> in one account and <date+n> in another.
>>  2.5GB in one (I haven't deleted the takeouts, plus there's a video
>> that I share with a lot of people) and 853 MB in another.
>>
>> Apparently they don't care.
>
> So a basically a tiny amount.
>
> I have nearly 80GB of backups in my one Google account and pay for 100GB.

My working partition is ~500GB. This includes EVERYTHING. I
periodically copy the whole thing to one of four partitions on a BIG
internal HD (rotating) as well as writing to one of 2 small 1TB USB
drives every once in a while. If the house catches fire I can easily
grab the USB drives and run, although I'd rather be able to take the
desktop machine. OTOH, we've lived here for 56 years in comparative
safety...

--
Cheers, Bev
Always carry a length of fiber-optic cable in your pocket. Should

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm62ll$2bmep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35442&group=comp.mobile.android#35442

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:55:47 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 22:55 UTC

On 11/29/22 6:49 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 23:08:00 -0800, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have six gmail accounts.
>

> Just curious--why? What do you see as the advantage of having more
> than one?

One is for real personal stuff and stuff involving money. Another (this
one) is for public stuff, ads, subscriptions, etc. One belonged to my
mom. Another was specific to a phone I threw away several years ago.
The other two are more or less throwaway addresses that I might actually
want to use every once in a while.

When something is free, self-discipline is a waste of effort :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm64h5$12eu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35443&group=comp.mobile.android#35443

From: kle...@unibwm.de (Herbert Kleebauer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 00:27:32 +0100
 by: Herbert Kleebauer - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 23:27 UTC

On 29.11.2022 21:53, Rudolph Rhein wrote:

> Based on the OP's stated objective, I'm assuming he doesn't want to
> "doctor" the Android DCIM directory. He just wants to slide show it.

But if you want, that the audience likes to watch the picture show
instead of being forced to watch it, you should invest some time
to prepare the pictures.

> While there are many solutions, what I think most people would do is use
> Irfanview to slideshow the photos directly off the Android sd card (either
> internal or external, while it's still in the phone itself of course).

Why "of course"? In order to display the pictures on the PC, they have
to be transferred from the phone to the PC. So, why not transfer all
pictures before you start Irfanview? It's the same amount of data which
has to be transferred and you can much faster browse the pictures
in Irfanview if they are already stored locally.

If Windows Explorer is configured to display thumbnails instead of
the name list, Windows already has transferred all pictures (at
least, if there are no thumbnails stored within the jpegs) in a
local cache. So copying all pictures to a local disc doesn't
generate any additional data transfer.

But instead of transferring hundreds of 20-50 MPixel pictures,
I still prefer to transfer a single pdf (or multi jpeg) file
with pictures resized to a typical screen resolution.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm848c.8us.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35454&group=comp.mobile.android#35454

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: 30 Nov 2022 16:35:18 GMT
References: <adh5oh15mq9re51o64ae79m3ln8fu68g9e@4ax.com> <11dfgodclxmzn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm0ovs$1ot45$1@dont-email.me> <1s3fd7tcadn2a$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm1g9c$1tnuj$1@dont-email.me> <wkoko02zhuw3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm4b4h$27lju$1@dont-email.me> <tt6cohpcf7qeid8ro12go5d5o2f2bls38p@4ax.com> <jumrqbFrfhiU2@mid.individual.net> <1lm2z3mniwpzh.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <efqcohdakdltj43apuncal972675n3868q@4ax.com>
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 16:35 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
[...]

> Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
> account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.

As others have mentioned, many people use different e-mail addresses
(not neccessarily muliple e-mail accounts), for different purposes.

Like for example Bev, I use my most 'personal'/'private'/<whatever>
e-mail address for the important stuff. I don't want to give this e-mail
address to just anyone/anything, so that's why I have the others.

I use another for most not-so-important commercial transactions,
newsletters, services, etc., etc..

And a third for any not-so-important, non-commercial stuff, mostly
Internet/web/Usenet related stuff.

Then there are quite a few other (very) low-usage ones. One from my
ISP (my main MSP (MailSP) is not my ISP) and about five of previous MSPs
(As you often don't know who/what has your old e-mail address(es), it's
(IMO) better just to keep/poll those, instead of risking to lose the odd but
important e-mail sent to this/these address(es). Some of my e-mail
addresses are in printed (print-only) publications, a tad hard to update
those. :-)).

As I use a Global Inbox, this multitude of e-mail addresses causes no
extra work/effort at all. *If* i need to know which is which, I can just
look at the Account name in the message list or the To:/Cc: on the
message itself.

And, as you say, *if* I want "to organize the differing content into
folders", I can easily do so with Message Filters.

N.B. In the above I've used some Thunderbird terminology, because
that's what I currently use, but the principles appply to most if not
all e-mail clients, as I have used these for some 15 years before using
Thunderbird.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm84qn.8us.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35455&group=comp.mobile.android#35455

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: 30 Nov 2022 16:45:19 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 16:45 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/22 8:52 AM, Brian Gregory wrote:
[...]
> > I have nearly 80GB of backups in my one Google account and pay for 100GB.
>
> My working partition is ~500GB. This includes EVERYTHING. I
> periodically copy the whole thing to one of four partitions on a BIG
> internal HD (rotating) as well as writing to one of 2 small 1TB USB
> drives every once in a while. If the house catches fire I can easily
> grab the USB drives and run, although I'd rather be able to take the
> desktop machine. OTOH, we've lived here for 56 years in comparative
> safety...

I do more or less the same, but I keep incremental backup of the most
important stuff in the cloud (Google Drive, currently 9GB) and not only
rotate the (*external*) HDDs, but also rotate them between on-site and
off-site (off-site is currently in another town).

So that doesn't only protect against "If the house catches fire" (are
you planning to be home when your house catches fire? :-)), but also
against theft and most other disasters.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm847j$2f9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35460&group=comp.mobile.android#35460

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:34:55 +0000
References: <adh5oh15mq9re51o64ae79m3ln8fu68g9e@4ax.com> <11dfgodclxmzn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm0ovs$1ot45$1@dont-email.me> <1s3fd7tcadn2a$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm1g9c$1tnuj$1@dont-email.me> <wkoko02zhuw3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm4b4h$27lju$1@dont-email.me> <tt6cohpcf7qeid8ro12go5d5o2f2bls38p@4ax.com> <jumrqbFrfhiU2@mid.individual.net> <1lm2z3mniwpzh.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <efqcohdakdltj43apuncal972675n3868q@4ax.com> <tm848c.8us.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:34 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
>> account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
>> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.
>
> As others have mentioned, many people use different e-mail addresses
> (not neccessarily muliple e-mail accounts), for different purposes.
>
> Like for example Bev, I use my most 'personal'/'private'/<whatever>
> e-mail address for the important stuff. I don't want to give this e-mail
> address to just anyone/anything, so that's why I have the others.

I know it might sound surprising, but I have so many email addresses that
even I don't know all of them (I lost track long ago of the older ones).

Now I keep them in a keepass cross platform database, so the last fifty or
so I probably can dig up by the domain alone, but, as you can see with all
things Ken Blake - his approach is different than that of Frank & TRBev.

The point is this email address stuff is wholly subject to whim.
a. Some can't handle the complexity
b. Others use the complexity to advantage

I know people with more than one driveway (they have a garage door on
entrance and exit) where someone like Ken Blake (like nospam) would wonder
why anyone could possibly want to do something he doesn't want to do.

The problem here isn't that people are different but that some people
are not capable of _understanding_ that people are different.

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<juq0jmFc8o4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35463&group=comp.mobile.android#35463

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 21:34:46 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 21:34 UTC

On 29/11/2022 21:11, Rudolph Rhein wrote:
> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
>> account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
>> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.
>
> Why do some people have more than one vehicle?
> Why do some people have more than one pet?
> Why do some people have more than one computer.
>
> Hell, I know some people who have more than one driveway.
> There are good reasons for wanting more even if you don't know them.

To make it harder work when searching for things?

Or perhaps you hate your work so much that nothing work related could
ever be of interest to you in your personal life?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<5sb1ykv2fuy8$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35465&group=comp.mobile.android#35465

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 18:22:20 -0600
References: <adh5oh15mq9re51o64ae79m3ln8fu68g9e@4ax.com> <11dfgodclxmzn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm0ovs$1ot45$1@dont-email.me> <1s3fd7tcadn2a$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm1g9c$1tnuj$1@dont-email.me> <wkoko02zhuw3$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <tm4b4h$27lju$1@dont-email.me> <tt6cohpcf7qeid8ro12go5d5o2f2bls38p@4ax.com> <jumrqbFrfhiU2@mid.individual.net> <1lm2z3mniwpzh.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <efqcohdakdltj43apuncal972675n3868q@4ax.com> <tm5sgn$111$1@gioia.aioe.org> <juq0jmFc8o4U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 00:22 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> Rudolph Rhein wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
>>> account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
>>> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.
>>
>> There are good reasons for wanting more even if you don't know them.
>
> To make it harder work when searching for things?

An local e-mail client, as the consolidator, makes it easy to search
across multiple e-mail accounts. You're using Thunderbird. Doesn't
that you search across multiple accounts?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1109580

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm8uv1$2kmn9$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35466&group=comp.mobile.android#35466

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:10:57 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 01:10 UTC

On 2022-11-30 16:22, VanguardLH wrote:
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Rudolph Rhein wrote:

>>> There are good reasons for wanting more even if you don't know them.
>>
>> To make it harder work when searching for things?
>
> An local e-mail client, as the consolidator, makes it easy to search
> across multiple e-mail accounts. You're using Thunderbird. Doesn't
> that you search across multiple accounts?
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1109580

macOS Mail certainly makes that easy...

<https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mail/mlhlp1003/mac>

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm8vk4$2kopb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35467&group=comp.mobile.android#35467

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:22:10 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 01:22 UTC

On 11/30/22 8:45 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/29/22 8:52 AM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> [...]
>> > I have nearly 80GB of backups in my one Google account and pay for 100GB.
>>
>> My working partition is ~500GB. This includes EVERYTHING. I
>> periodically copy the whole thing to one of four partitions on a BIG
>> internal HD (rotating) as well as writing to one of 2 small 1TB USB
>> drives every once in a while. If the house catches fire I can easily
>> grab the USB drives and run, although I'd rather be able to take the
>> desktop machine. OTOH, we've lived here for 56 years in comparative
>> safety...
>
> I do more or less the same, but I keep incremental backup of the most
> important stuff in the cloud (Google Drive, currently 9GB) and not only
> rotate the (*external*) HDDs, but also rotate them between on-site and
> off-site (off-site is currently in another town).
>
> So that doesn't only protect against "If the house catches fire" (are
> you planning to be home when your house catches fire? :-)), but also
> against theft and most other disasters.

One of us is home pretty much all of the time. If a thief broke in he'd
probably think "Oh crap, somebody has already hit this place..." Most
of what we have is old and bought used.

Long ago, just before electronic 4-bangers came in, hubby took a used
Marchant calculator (the one with the anti-jam lever) to work. A few
weeks later a thief broke in and stole all the typewriters and the
Marchant. Insurance company paid off and we bought a $100 4-banger
(with EIGHT nixie tubes for a display) at The Akron. We liked to
imagine the hapless thief trying to trade the Marchant for drugs...

A few years later businesses were giving away business-card-size
solar-powered 4-bangers as promotional gimmicks.

--
Cheers, Bev
Organized people will never know the sheer joyous ecstasy of finding

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tm8vvn$2kp7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35468&group=comp.mobile.android#35468

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:28:20 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 01:28 UTC

On 11/30/22 9:34 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Yes, as far as I'm concerned, for most people, using one e-mail
>>> account with rules to organize the differing content into folders is
>>> preferable to having multiple accounts. That's what I do.
>>
>> As others have mentioned, many people use different e-mail addresses
>> (not neccessarily muliple e-mail accounts), for different purposes.
>>
>> Like for example Bev, I use my most 'personal'/'private'/<whatever>
>> e-mail address for the important stuff. I don't want to give this e-mail
>> address to just anyone/anything, so that's why I have the others.
>
> I know it might sound surprising, but I have so many email addresses that
> even I don't know all of them (I lost track long ago of the older ones).

That's why we have Thunderbird -- it does all that for us and never
complains. It's been reliable ever since it was Netscape .9, so I
figure it will probably be good through my lifetime, which is good enough.

> Now I keep them in a keepass cross platform database, so the last fifty or
> so I probably can dig up by the domain alone, but, as you can see with all
> things Ken Blake - his approach is different than that of Frank & TRBev.

I don't trust someone else to handle passwords/phrases/magic spells. I
like nice clear TEXT. What if they die or go out of business?

> The point is this email address stuff is wholly subject to whim.
> a. Some can't handle the complexity
> b. Others use the complexity to advantage
>
> I know people with more than one driveway (they have a garage door on
> entrance and exit) where someone like Ken Blake (like nospam) would wonder
> why anyone could possibly want to do something he doesn't want to do.
>
> The problem here isn't that people are different but that some people
> are not capable of _understanding_ that people are different.

Fortunately we're not required to communicate with those people :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
Organized people will never know the sheer joyous ecstasy of finding
something that was believed to have been irretrievably lost.
-- D. Stern

Re: Is there some clever way to display Androd Garlery on a PC

<tmaleb$2r50u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35473&group=comp.mobile.android#35473

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 08:40:43 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 16:40 UTC

On 11/30/22 5:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 11/30/22 9:34 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> As others have mentioned, many people use different e-mail addresses
>>> (not neccessarily muliple e-mail accounts), for different purposes.
>>>
>>> Like for example Bev, I use my most 'personal'/'private'/<whatever>
>>> e-mail address for the important stuff. I don't want to give this e-mail
>>> address to just anyone/anything, so that's why I have the others.
>>
>> I know it might sound surprising, but I have so many email addresses that
>> even I don't know all of them (I lost track long ago of the older ones).
>
> That's why we have Thunderbird -- it does all that for us and never
> complains. It's been reliable ever since it was Netscape .9, so I
> figure it will probably be good through my lifetime, which is good enough.
>
>> Now I keep them in a keepass cross platform database, so the last fifty or
>> so I probably can dig up by the domain alone, but, as you can see with all
>> things Ken Blake - his approach is different than that of Frank & TRBev.
>
> I don't trust someone else to handle passwords/phrases/magic spells. I
> like nice clear TEXT. What if they die or go out of business?
>
>> The point is this email address stuff is wholly subject to whim.
>> a. Some can't handle the complexity
>> b. Others use the complexity to advantage
>>
>> I know people with more than one driveway (they have a garage door on
>> entrance and exit) where someone like Ken Blake (like nospam) would wonder
>> why anyone could possibly want to do something he doesn't want to do.
>>
>> The problem here isn't that people are different but that some people
>> are not capable of _understanding_ that people are different.
>
> Fortunately we're not required to communicate with those people :-)

Addendum: I just realized this was the Android group. It may be noted
that Blue Mail allows a 'consolidated' inbox that includes all the
accounts you've given it.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.