Subject: Re: udforum quick hacks thread
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 21:56 UTC
From: Anonymous <poster@anon.com>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 14:56:18 -0700
Interesting. Symlinks for files, or directories? rslight has symlinked files without trouble, but haven't done so with directories.

Wasn't sure that it would work, but lighttpd makes no trouble :-) . I will still change back to nginx soon, i think. The migration of the webroot solved almost all 503 errors, but it still happens from time to time. i think nginx is a little better in performance.

 # rm -rf /your/forum/dir_backup
 # rm -rf /your/data/dir_backup
Always scary :)

Oh yes. Many hours spent ....nuff said

def3 really looks good. As you know, some of the css of rslight is copying some of the colour scheme of def3 because I like it.

yeah, it is just a very nice color scheme (which I have not done, as you know. Probs go to the locals css genius, wonder if he's still around, btw).

On another ff note, I mentioned a while back the size of my ff database and how large it was. I was surprised then when I deleted ff from that server, the freed disk space was double the database size. The database was around 12G and once ff was completely >deleted, it freed 24G of space. Not sure why that is as I really doubt it duplicates the entire database.

Thats funny. Would be really interesting to learn why this was the case. My sql files take some 1,9 GB for the whole ff install, but then I don't store the messages in the db, but as plain files.

The rslight database for the same groups as ff had is currently 4.3G

ff is a ressource hog for sure. if def3 wasn't the most used of my three nodes (by far), i would have dumped ff by now. but the users (read: lurkers) seem to like it better than bbs or vichan. or maybe the other addresses are just not as well known as def3.

PS: just as I wanted to post this on def3: guess what: 503 again, lol. ok, nginx it is.

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:40 UTC
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:40:41 +0000
Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. Symlinks for files, or directories? rslight has symlinked files without trouble, but haven't done so with directories.

Wasn't sure that it would work, but lighttpd makes no trouble :-) . I will still change back to nginx soon, i think. The migration of the webroot solved almost all 503 errors, but it still happens from time to time. i think nginx is a little better in performance.

A while back I think I posted a few settings for nginx that deals with this issue. Seems nginx gives php a very short time to respond, and sends a 503 if php doesn't finish in time. I'm guessing lighttpd may have similar settings, but I don't know for sure.

ff is a ressource hog for sure. if def3 wasn't the most used of my three nodes (by far), i would have dumped ff by now. but the users (read: lurkers) seem to like it better than bbs or vichan. or maybe the other addresses are just not as well known as def3.

That was my thinking also before dropping ff in clearnet. Many (most?) users find it familiar, similar to other forum software, and they understand it quickly.

rslight.i2p