rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes.announce / Re: i have a feature request for rslight

SubjectAuthor
* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|`* Re: rslight-0.6.5dAnonUser
| `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|  `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|   `- Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+- this is your favorite guineapig againAnonymous
+- of, the threads are intact nowAnonymous
+* i have a feature request for rslightAnonymous
|`- Re: i have a feature request for rslightRetro Guy
+* i was too optimisticAnonymous
|`- Re: i was too optimisticRetro Guy
+* also missing indecesAnonymous
|`- Re: also missing indecesRetro Guy
+- status report :-)Anonymous
+- several newsserversAnonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Re: Noneanonymous
+* still problemsAnonymous
|`* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| `* Re: still problemsanonymous
|  `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|   `* Re: still problemsanon
|    +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|    `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|     `- Re: still problemsanonymous
+- message can be accessed nowAnonymous
+- i don't get itAnonymous
+- still not working, reallyAnonymous
+* charset in subjectsAnonymous
|`- Re: charset in subjectsRetro Guy
+- this was vichanAnonymous
+* first sync after changeAnonymous
|`* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
| `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|  `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|   `- Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
+- deleted the spool filesAnonymous
+* that fixed social as wellAnonymous
|`- Re: that fixed social as wellRetro Guy
+- Re: rslight-0.6.5danon
+* the new function works at leastAnonymous
|`* Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
| `* Re: the new function works at leastanon
|  `- Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
+- so far so goodAnonymous
+* but the message is thereAnonymous
|`- Re: but the message is thereRetro Guy
+* okAnonymous
|`* Re: okRetro Guy
| `* Re: okRetro Guy
|  `* Re: okRetro Guy
|   `* Re: okRetro Guy
|    `* Re: okRetro Guy
|     `* Re: okRetro Guy
|      `* Re: okRetro Guy
|       `* Re: okRetro Guy
|        `- Re: okRetro Guy
+* watermarksAnonymous
|`- Re: watermarksRetro Guy
+* the new spoolnews.phpAnonymous
|`- Re: the new spoolnews.phpRetro Guy
+- seems to be workingAnonymous
+* now can you explain why the bugsAnonymous
|`- Re: now can you explain why the bugsRetro Guy
`- this fixed quite a lotAnonymous

Subject: also missing indeces
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 23:02 UTC
for the groups programming and social. both display "latest messages", so the titles, but the actual messages cannot be accessed.
guess i should just empty the spool and retransmit everything at this point ?
interestingly, the overboard breaks exactly when it comes to the messages present before i zeroed all the watermarks. i guess something is not aligned here between rslight and the news server.

Subject: Re: also missing indeces
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 23:24 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

for the groups programming and social. both display "latest messages", so the titles, but the actual messages cannot be accessed. guess i should just empty the spool and retransmit everything at this point ?
interestingly, the overboard breaks exactly when it comes to the messages present before i zeroed all the watermarks. i guess something is not aligned here between rslight and the news server.

That's what I would do. I'd stop cron.php first, make sure spoolnews.php isn't running (has finished running), then delete the entire spool, then reenable cron.

I'll address your other posts later. I have to go to work and manage a bunch of people that outrank me in the company, which makes it a bit difficult to get them to do things properly. I promise to not fire any of them, though it's tempting :)

I'll bbl.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: i have a feature request for rslight
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 08:36 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

could you make an option to update from several different news servers ? it would be nice to check and connect to several sources in order to make the whole network more stable and fault tolerant.

I've been considering that. Now that I check for existing articles in a way that uses very little bandwidth (starting 0.6.5d), it shouldn't be a waste of resources.

I could rotate through upstream servers, or check them all each time. Also, need to consider posting (sending articles upstream), which server? I'll have to find a good balanced way to do that.

I still have more tweaks and bug fixes to work on, but this will be one of my future mods.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: i was too optimistic
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 08:49 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

the overboard has some problem, it runs partly and fails with a 500 to the client.
where does rslight log such things ?

The overboard does not log right now. I'll be adding more logging to things in future releases. Right now, it's just some of the stuff in /etc/rslight/scripts that logs. Logs are kept in /var/spool/rslight/log

I'm sure the problem is it is hanging on one messages. Since there is no footer, the script is never completing so it times out. I suspect than an incomplete messasge may not end in a dot(.) if never fully transferred and the script is stuck in a loop. I plan to improve overboard.php to not let this happen in the next release, and I've not actually seen it happen on any of my sites, I just suspect that may be it as I think the code would choke on such a message.

Let's see what completely rebuilding the spool does.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: status report :-)
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 12:26 UTC
the overboard starts working first, than the board indeces (or maybe in parallel). the main index remains empty yet.

Subject: several newsservers
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 12:30 UTC
I could rotate through upstream servers, or check them all each time. Also, need to consider posting (sending articles upstream), which server? I'll have to find a good balanced way to do that.

either you do random order (i would find that nicest), or you might define a fixed one as well.
for posting you could do one main server (as a default), and the others as fallbacks.
i am good at planning other peoples time, huh ? :-)

Subject: None
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 12:13 UTC
let's see what happens. before i did, i checked the files under "/log/" and discovered that there seems to be a size limit on the messages (1 000 000 bytes :-).
Where can I change that ?

Subject: still problems
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:42 UTC
main index is working now, but programming and social are still out of it.
also a problem to access some other messages (like http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=104&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#104 ).

Subject: Re: None
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:36 UTC
and done, all seems to be back to normal, and overboard is working.
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Subject: message can be accessed now
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 14:37 UTC
and some old messages begin to show up in programming, i get a lot of these:

==> ./log/nntp.log <==
socket_read() failed: reason: Connection reset by peer
socket_read() failed: reason: Connection reset by peer