The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is that surrounds universes.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: copper crisis?

SubjectAuthor
* copper crisis?jlarkin
+* Re: copper crisis?bitrex
|+* Re: copper crisis?Jasen Betts
||`- Re: copper crisis?amdx
|+* Re: copper crisis?Ricky
||`- Re: copper crisis?bitrex
|`- Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
+* Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|`* Re: copper crisis?John Larkin
| `* Re: copper crisis?bitrex
|  `- Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
+* Re: copper crisis?John Robertson
|+* Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
||+* Re: copper crisis?Ralph Mowery
|||`* Re: copper crisis?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
||| `* Re: copper crisis?Martin Brown
|||  `* Re: copper crisis?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|||   `* Re: copper crisis?Martin Brown
|||    +- Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|||    `* Re: copper crisis?none
|||     `* Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|||      `* Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
|||       +* Re: copper crisis?amdx
|||       |`- Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
|||       +* Re: copper crisis?Gerhard Hoffmann
|||       |`- Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|||       `- Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
||+- Re: copper crisis?John Robertson
||`* Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|| `* Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
||  `- Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|`* Re: copper crisis?John S
| `* Re: copper crisis?rbowman
|  `- Re: copper crisis?Les Cargill
+* Re: copper crisis?whit3rd
|+* Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
||`- Re: copper crisis?bitrex
|+* Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
||+* Re: copper crisis?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|||`- Re: copper crisis?boB
||+* Re: copper crisis?whit3rd
|||`- Re: copper crisis?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
||`- Re: copper crisis?Cydrome Leader
|`* Re: copper crisis?Jan Panteltje
| +* Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
| |+- Re: copper crisis?Graham Holloway
| |+- Re: copper crisis?ke...@kjwdesigns.com
| |`* Re: copper crisis?Jan Panteltje
| | `* Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
| |  +* Re: copper crisis?Lasse Langwadt Christensen
| |  |`- Re: copper crisis?John Larkin
| |  `* Re: copper crisis?Jan Panteltje
| |   `- Re: copper crisis?John Larkin
| `* Re: copper crisis?Joe Gwinn
|  `* Re: copper crisis?John Walliker
|   +- Re: copper crisis?Phil Hobbs
|   `- Re: copper crisis?boB
+- Re: copper crisis?Carl
+* Re: copper crisis?upsidedown
|+- Re: copper crisis?jlarkin
|`- Re: copper crisis?a a
+- Re: copper crisis?Jan Panteltje
+- Re: copper crisis?Cydrome Leader
`- Re: copper crisis?amal banerjee

Pages:123
Re: copper crisis?

<tb4oni$9hl$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101712&group=sci.electronics.design#101712

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: copper crisis?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 23:01:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 23:01 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 11:49:11 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, July 15, 2022 at 8:09:57 AM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>> https://gizmodo.com/a-copper-shortage-is-likely-coming-for-the-energy-trans-1849178385
>>>
>>> Motor and transformer design are pretty advanced. I wonder if they
>>> could be made with more electronics and less copper somehow.
>>> Electrostatic motors miss by an enormous factor.
>>
>>If you only consider big-scale projects, superconducting motors and
>>generators are small, with low copper content, and kilohertz transformers are likewise
>>compact and need less wire volume. Copper's ductility, however,
>>and wire-drawing technology, are always going to be engineering assets.
>>
>>"Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid, copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade..."
>
> These are cool:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/08w3pg72wml0eac/PL300.jpg?raw=1
>
> Kapton pcb windings. Good for 300 watts, more with some air.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed8o1h3v8gptvul/SER2918.jpg?raw=1
>
> How can they wind that inductor?

You can edgewind copper strip. Copper is one of the best examples of malleable that there is.

Re: copper crisis?

<tb5lb6$74n$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101735&group=sci.electronics.design#101735

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 08:09:26 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 07:09 UTC

On 18/07/2022 17:32, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> mandag den 18. juli 2022 kl. 18.11.19 UTC+2 skrev Martin Brown:

>>> and convinced people that "used" diamonds are not good enough,
>>> you have to get a new one
>> They are running scared of the synthetic diamond producers now:
>>

> and tried their best to convinced everyone that the synthetic diamond
> isn't quite as good as the real thing (I guess not enough blood on them)
>
> And that manufacturers of synthetic diamonds should lasermark them
> so you can tell it is synthetic

I reckon you could tell them apart by mass spectrometry or
radioactivity. True old diamonds will be severely C14 depleted.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: copper crisis?

<3ee0a1e4-73e4-065a-5b9f-893041428e50@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101740&group=sci.electronics.design#101740

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 07:19:12 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:19 UTC

Martin Brown wrote:
> On 18/07/2022 17:32, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
>> mandag den 18. juli 2022 kl. 18.11.19 UTC+2 skrev Martin Brown:

>>> They are running scared of the synthetic diamond producers now:
>>>

>> and tried their best to convinced everyone that the synthetic diamond
>> isn't quite as good as the real thing (I guess not enough blood on them)
>>
>> And that manufacturers of synthetic diamonds should lasermark them
>> so you can tell it is synthetic
>
> I reckon you could tell them apart by mass spectrometry or
> radioactivity. True old diamonds will be severely C14 depleted.

Nah, you just make the new ones out of coal. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: copper crisis?

<tbd0mk$2qo4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101986&group=sci.electronics.design#101986

From: lcargi...@gmail.com (Les Cargill)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 21:06:11 -0500
 by: Les Cargill - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 02:06 UTC

rbowman wrote:
> On 07/18/2022 09:58 AM, John S wrote:

>>> Time to invest in copper mines I guess...and humans will simply have
>>> to adapt.
>>>
>>> Or some genius will notice something we've been overlooking.
>>>
>>> Or at some point it will become cost effective to mine the asteroids.
>>>
>>> Like we've been doing since our distant ancestors left the trees!
>>>
>>> John :-#)#
>>
>> We've been mining the asteroids? When? Which one?
>
> https://www.cnet.com/pictures/swords-from-the-stars-weapons-forged-from-meteoric-iron/6/
>

> Sort of...

Ah, the Terry Pratchett sword. Great story.

--
Les Cargill

Re: copper crisis?

<nnd$5756d4de$2ebea761@9e79e3c7da45d4d7>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102286&group=sci.electronics.design#102286

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: alb...@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:59:41 +0200
 by: none - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:59 UTC

In article <tb5lb6$74n$2@gioia.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>On 18/07/2022 17:32, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
>> mandag den 18. juli 2022 kl. 18.11.19 UTC+2 skrev Martin Brown:

>>> They are running scared of the synthetic diamond producers now:
>>>

>> and tried their best to convinced everyone that the synthetic diamond
>> isn't quite as good as the real thing (I guess not enough blood on them)
>>
>> And that manufacturers of synthetic diamonds should lasermark them
>> so you can tell it is synthetic
>
>I reckon you could tell them apart by mass spectrometry or
>radioactivity. True old diamonds will be severely C14 depleted.

The artificially created diamonds are actually better.
The propaganda to use "real" diamonds faces a loosing battle.

--
"in our communism country Viet Nam, people are forced to be
alive and in the western country like US, people are free to

Re: copper crisis?

<0c9c1017-0555-977e-db8a-5514b6a37472@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102289&group=sci.electronics.design#102289

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:46:09 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:46 UTC

albert wrote:
> In article <tb5lb6$74n$2@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> and tried their best to convinced everyone that the synthetic diamond
>>> isn't quite as good as the real thing (I guess not enough blood on them)
>>>
>>> And that manufacturers of synthetic diamonds should lasermark them
>>> so you can tell it is synthetic
>>
>> I reckon you could tell them apart by mass spectrometry or
>> radioactivity. True old diamonds will be severely C14 depleted.
>
> The artificially created diamonds are actually better.
> The propaganda to use "real" diamonds faces a loosing battle.

I remember when De Beers et al. were pushing "expert suggestions" that
the right price for an engagement ring was _four_month's_pay_.

Hint: the right sort of girl to marry is the sort who'd be charmed by
the idea, and then give you a dope slap for making her start out married
life in a financial hole that large.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: copper crisis?

<3t7tdh9snc2cg1i45p1d9ibfhgaaiijbjl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102295&group=sci.electronics.design#102295

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:52:34 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:52 UTC

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:46:09 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>albert wrote:
>> In article <tb5lb6$74n$2@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I reckon you could tell them apart by mass spectrometry or
>>> radioactivity. True old diamonds will be severely C14 depleted.
>>
>> The artificially created diamonds are actually better.
>> The propaganda to use "real" diamonds faces a loosing battle.
>
>I remember when De Beers et al. were pushing "expert suggestions" that
>the right price for an engagement ring was _four_month's_pay_.
>
>Hint: the right sort of girl to marry is the sort who'd be charmed by
>the idea, and then give you a dope slap for making her start out married
>life in a financial hole that large.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

A wedding could cost 10 months pay. Ours cost $20, and another $25 for
the wedding feast afterwards.

Re: copper crisis?

<tbm8kt$195da$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102296&group=sci.electronics.design#102296

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:17:00 -0500
 by: amdx - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:17 UTC

On 7/25/2022 8:52 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:46:09 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> albert wrote:

>>> The artificially created diamonds are actually better.
>>> The propaganda to use "real" diamonds faces a loosing battle.
>> I remember when De Beers et al. were pushing "expert suggestions" that
>> the right price for an engagement ring was _four_month's_pay_.
>>
>> Hint: the right sort of girl to marry is the sort who'd be charmed by
>> the idea, and then give you a dope slap for making her start out married
>> life in a financial hole that large.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
> A wedding could cost 10 months pay. Ours cost $20, and another $25 for
> the wedding feast afterwards.

 I told my daughter early on when she decides to get married, to just
elope and I'd give her $20k for the down payment on a house.
She married a guy in the military, they bought a house with a zero down
mortgage. I funded both of their Roths, then he found a girlfriend
she divorced him and he will retire with my funds, but he's probably
stupid enough to spend it. She's married again, they paid for a
very nice wedding on the beach in front of a place they rented that
sleeps 37 people and every one stayed a day or two, best party I have
every been to.
 She has now graduated as a dentist, this how I like to think about.
> https://tinyurl.com/3zcbntax    :-)
                      Mikek

Re: copper crisis?

<1t9tdh1tkb63hdio7botiqscm284h8d8o4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102298&group=sci.electronics.design#102298

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:32:55 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:32 UTC

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:17:00 -0500, amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote:

>On 7/25/2022 8:52 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:46:09 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> I remember when De Beers et al. were pushing "expert suggestions" that
>>> the right price for an engagement ring was _four_month's_pay_.
>>>
>>> Hint: the right sort of girl to marry is the sort who'd be charmed by
>>> the idea, and then give you a dope slap for making her start out married
>>> life in a financial hole that large.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>> A wedding could cost 10 months pay. Ours cost $20, and another $25 for
>> the wedding feast afterwards.

It was sweet. A really nice lady in a black robe married us in the
beautiful rotunda of SF City Hall. That was the $20. Stars Cafe was
the feast.

>  I told my daughter early on when she decides to get married, to just
>elope and I'd give her $20k for the down payment on a house.
>She married a guy in the military, they bought a house with a zero down
>mortgage. I funded both of their Roths, then he found a girlfriend
>she divorced him and he will retire with my funds, but he's probably
>stupid enough to spend it. She's married again, they paid for a
>very nice wedding on the beach in front of a place they rented that
>sleeps 37 people and every one stayed a day or two, best party I have
>every been to.
>  She has now graduated as a dentist, this how I like to think about.
>> https://tinyurl.com/3zcbntax    :-)
>                       Mikek

(401 on that link.)

I paid for two daughters' pretty-big weddings, one in Austin and one
on a golf course near Lake Tahoe. The bride and groom came down the
isle in a golf cart and almost wiped out a couple of bridesmaids.
Austin, I mostly remember the mosquitoes.

So far, neither looks to need another guy.

Girls are cute but expensive.

Re: copper crisis?

<tbmcfi$noj0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102301&group=sci.electronics.design#102301

From: dk4...@arcor.de (Gerhard Hoffmann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:22:26 +0200
 by: Gerhard Hoffmann - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:22 UTC

Am 25.07.22 um 15:52 schrieb jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:46:09 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> albert wrote:

>>> The artificially created diamonds are actually better.
>>> The propaganda to use "real" diamonds faces a loosing battle.
>>
>> I remember when De Beers et al. were pushing "expert suggestions" that
>> the right price for an engagement ring was _four_month's_pay_.
>>
>> Hint: the right sort of girl to marry is the sort who'd be charmed by
>> the idea, and then give you a dope slap for making her start out married
>> life in a financial hole that large.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> A wedding could cost 10 months pay. Ours cost $20, and another $25 for
> the wedding feast afterwards.

My brother's divorce did cost in a similar range. Both he and
she were fully qualified lawyers, albeit working in completely
different fields. First, they moved the material stuff to a
different treaty, zeroing the financial value of the case. Then
my brother represented both himself and and his ex as a lawyer.
Net result was just the writing cost of the court.

Such a thing takes some discipline.

Gerhard

Re: copper crisis?

<e07db08c-f37a-890c-3c0b-274b83217e59@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102303&group=sci.electronics.design#102303

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:28:32 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:28 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:46:09 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> albert wrote:

>>> The artificially created diamonds are actually better.
>>> The propaganda to use "real" diamonds faces a loosing battle.
>>
>> I remember when De Beers et al. were pushing "expert suggestions" that
>> the right price for an engagement ring was _four_month's_pay_.
>>
>> Hint: the right sort of girl to marry is the sort who'd be charmed by
>> the idea, and then give you a dope slap for making her start out married
>> life in a financial hole that large.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> A wedding could cost 10 months pay. Ours cost $20, and another $25 for
> the wedding feast afterwards.

Ours was fairly cheap too--$750 for the hall (Cecil Green Park at UBC),
$500 for the band, $150 for the officiant, and all catered by relatives.

Best wedding I was ever at, just about 39 years ago. According to Isaac
Asimov, he used to introduce people to "Janet, my first wife." (Neither
married more than once.)

She always responded, "Oh, Isaac."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: copper crisis?

<tbmd17$obq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102304&group=sci.electronics.design#102304

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:31:50 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:31 UTC

So does staying married.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: copper crisis?

<393a5c4b-e005-436b-b0da-a57494d9545dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102339&group=sci.electronics.design#102339

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 04:41:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakup...@gmail.com (amal banerjee)
 by: amal banerjee - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:41 UTC

On Friday, July 15, 2022 at 8:39:57 PM UTC+5:30, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> https://gizmodo.com/a-copper-shortage-is-likely-coming-for-the-energy-trans-1849178385
>
> Motor and transformer design are pretty advanced. I wonder if they
> could be made with more electronics and less copper somehow.
> Electrostatic motors miss by an enormous factor.
>
> As Africa and Asia advance and electrify, copper might be a limiting
> resource. Solar and wind power need a lot of copper for power
> gathering too. The numbers there could be interesting, lots of long
> runs at relatively low voltage and power, used at low duty cycle.
Maybe we the solid state guys should start looking ar graphene. Already
light weight but extremely strong sports equipment are being made with
this material. The base material for gtaphene is abundant(compared to
copper) and processing it much simpler.

Re: copper crisis?

<tbot0b$20pc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102353&group=sci.electronics.design#102353

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 09:16:41 -0500
 by: amdx - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:16 UTC

On 7/15/2022 9:34 PM, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 12:00:57 PM UTC+10, Jasen Betts wrote:

>>> It's unfortunate that adding copper to aluminum (most abundant metal) or
>>> aluminum to copper basically makes either one way worse than if you'd
>>> left it pure.
>>>
>>> Like you'd think by adding say 10% aluminum to copper you'd get a wire
>>> that was some small percentage less conductive than copper but still
>>> retained most of copper's other nice properties, but IIRC it basically
>>> ruins it and above some pretty low percentage aluminum you can't pull a
>>> copper/aluminum alloy into a wire, anyway.
>> So don't mix, CCA works quite well for many tasks.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper-clad_aluminium_wire
>
> Room-temperature super-conductors have got to be the long term solution, but nobody has yet set up a long-distance power cable with even a high-temperature super-conductor.
>
> The initial hype about fullerene nanotubes hasn't lead to any commercial products yet. Maybe it will eventually.
>
> John Larkin will ignore it as marketing hype right up to the point where he can buy reels of the stuff from DigiKey.

Just as a point of interest, in Panama City Fl. we have a port. There
are many semi trucks coming out of the port with 5 stacks of copper plates
evenly dispersed on the trailer. They are 12" to 18" tall.