tech / sci.electronics.design / Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

SubjectAuthor
* Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemicFred Bloggs
+- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thea a
+* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theDon Y
> [...]
+* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thebitrex
|+- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemilegg
|`* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemiJohn Larkin
| +* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theLasse Langwadt Christensen
| |`- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemiJohn Larkin
| `* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thebitrex
|  `- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemiJohn Larkin
`* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theFlyguy
 +- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thecorvid
 `- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theFlyguy

Pages:123
Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<93d7f0e1-cd61-4edd-82df-aca18d9d0013n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107291&group=sci.electronics.design#107291

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 14:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:24 UTC

:
Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and evidence of a link between political party affiliation and vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22% of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.
:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w30512

National Bureau of Economic Research
Conducting and disseminating nonpartisan economic research

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<9579a13a-ff17-40a2-a577-bbfbb7faddafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107293&group=sci.electronics.design#107293

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 14:44:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:44 UTC

#fake

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thifva$2p3he$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107294&group=sci.electronics.design#107294

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:35:04 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 23:35 UTC

On 10/4/2022 2:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> :
> Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that

This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
health care, etc.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<c84%K.100977$ocy7.52667@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107295&group=sci.electronics.design#107295

COVID-19 Pandemic
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 20:23:36 -0400
 by: bitrex - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 00:23 UTC

On 10/4/2022 5:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> :
> Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and evidence of a link between political party affiliation and vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22% of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.
> :
>
> https://www.nber.org/papers/w30512
>
> National Bureau of Economic Research
> Conducting and disseminating nonpartisan economic research
For a time in the 80s it was Republican policy that "so long as we have
more & bigger bombs than the Russians we'll be OK" and people are still
here on the Usenet, so it was clearly an optimal strategy.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<daede1b7-299a-4c12-adff-472599ed1dc2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107296&group=sci.electronics.design#107296

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 01:17 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 4:35:14 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 2:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > :
> > Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that
> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
> health care, etc.

Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thim58$2piur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107297&group=sci.electronics.design#107297

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:20:37 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 01:20 UTC

On 10/4/2022 6:17 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 4:35:14 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
>> On 10/4/2022 2:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>> : Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for
>>> COVID-19, amid evidence that
>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates.
>> I.e., one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence,
>> proactive health care, etc.
>
> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally
> poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.

Can you backup any of those three claims?

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<c8b60c66-1f93-4ca4-819b-e4a39b9523d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107298&group=sci.electronics.design#107298

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 01:23 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 6:20:47 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 6:17 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> >> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates.
> >> I.e., one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence,
> >> proactive health care, etc.
> >
> > Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally
> > poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
> Can you backup any of those three claims?

No, neither can they backup political affiliation data, within 5% sampling error.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<045%K.233474$51Rb.17128@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107299&group=sci.electronics.design#107299

COVID-19 Pandemic
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:27:24 -0400
 by: bitrex - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 01:27 UTC

On 10/4/2022 9:17 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 4:35:14 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
>> On 10/4/2022 2:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>> :
>>> Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that
>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
>> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
>> health care, etc.
>
> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.

????

In the US rich people have access to the best health care, and can
afford the healthiest food.

You can buy a two liter of pop at Wal-Mart for 98 cents, but a liter of
carrot juice will run you $9 at Whole Foods.

<https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/>

They don't call it "Whole Paycheck" for nothing

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<0db5ada7-fbfc-43ab-82cb-abdc85adb476n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107300&group=sci.electronics.design#107300

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:34:49 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 01:34 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 6:27:32 PM UTC-7, bitrex wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 9:17 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> >> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
> >> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
> >> health care, etc.
> >
> > Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
> ????
>
> In the US rich people have access to the best health care, and can
> afford the healthiest food.
>
> You can buy a two liter of pop at Wal-Mart for 98 cents, but a liter of
> carrot juice will run you $9 at Whole Foods.
>
> <https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/>
>
> They don't call it "Whole Paycheck" for nothing

Money can't buy health all the time. If you want to be healthy, just eat carrots for 79 cents a pound. Just as healthy as carrot juice, if not better.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<3aqpjh10b1rf5fl05p0o4j9v66v3qhqev7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107303&group=sci.electronics.design#107303

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 19:19:00 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:19 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
<edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 4:35:14 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
>> On 10/4/2022 2:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> > :
>> > Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that
>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
>> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
>> health care, etc.
>
>Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.

Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
vaccinated.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<396%K.515821$6Il8.431783@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107305&group=sci.electronics.design#107305

COVID-19 Pandemic
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:41:03 -0400
 by: bitrex - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:41 UTC

On 10/4/2022 10:19 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
> <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
>>> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
>>> health care, etc.
>>
>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>
> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> vaccinated.

"Hey, tell me if this rag smells like chloroform! unless of course
you're a WUSS"

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thiqvd$2sqjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107306&group=sci.electronics.design#107306

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 19:42:51 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:42 UTC

On 10/4/2022 6:23 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 6:20:47 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
>>>
>>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally
>>> poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>> Can you backup any of those three claims?
>
> No, neither can they backup political affiliation data, within 5% sampling error.

What was YOUR sampling methodology? And, YOUR sampling error?

Making silly claims without even a hint as to where the "data"
comes from is just plain silly.

I tend to know more "sick" republicans but I don't attribute
that to their wealth, attitudes towards vaccination, etc.

Rather, it's because more of them are circling-the-drain
at "end of life" than the (younger, healthier) liberals
that I know.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<23a3ddc6-21cb-4522-bc35-ec20d4878a4an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107307&group=sci.electronics.design#107307

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 19:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:49 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:43:00 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 6:23 PM, Ed Lee wrote:

> >> Can you backup any of those three claims?
> >
> > No, neither can they backup political affiliation data, within 5% sampling error.
> What was YOUR sampling methodology? And, YOUR sampling error?
>
> Making silly claims without even a hint as to where the "data"
> comes from is just plain silly.
>
> I tend to know more "sick" republicans but I don't attribute
> that to their wealth, attitudes towards vaccination, etc.
>
> Rather, it's because more of them are circling-the-drain
> at "end of life" than the (younger, healthier) liberals
> that I know.

So, higher death rate for R than D is totally meaningless, just because there are more older R and they watch more TV.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<Pi6%K.234006$elEa.28352@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107308&group=sci.electronics.design#107308

COVID-19 Pandemic
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:51:27 -0400
 by: bitrex - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 02:51 UTC

On 10/4/2022 10:31 PM, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 1:19:07 PM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
>> <edward....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>>
>> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get vaccinated.
>
> This is saying that conservatives are more stupid than liberals (at least about vaccination). John Larkin is ignorant, so he doesn't get frightened as often as he should. He sees it as a virtue, which misses the distinction between being brave and being foolhardy.

Conservatives are scared of nothing, well except for scary transsexuals
lurking in every women's restroom that is.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<760qjh19tjr78a50k89hddmbajbrekkl0v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107309&group=sci.electronics.design#107309

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 20:58:32 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 03:58 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:41:03 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 10/4/2022 10:19 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
>> <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>>
>> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
>> vaccinated.
>>

>"Hey, tell me if this rag smells like chloroform! unless of course
>you're a WUSS"

Snark is easier than sense.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thivhl$2t7ba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107310&group=sci.electronics.design#107310

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:00:50 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 04:00 UTC

On 10/4/2022 7:49 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:43:00 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:

>>> No, neither can they backup political affiliation data, within 5%
>>> sampling error.
>> What was YOUR sampling methodology? And, YOUR sampling error?
>>
>> Making silly claims without even a hint as to where the "data" comes from
>> is just plain silly.
>>
>> I tend to know more "sick" republicans but I don't attribute that to their
>> wealth, attitudes towards vaccination, etc.
>>
>> Rather, it's because more of them are circling-the-drain at "end of life"
>> than the (younger, healthier) liberals that I know.
>
> So, higher death rate for R than D is totally meaningless, just because
> there are more older R and they watch more TV.

Again, how do you know that?

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<3b1b0ee3-0457-4d3e-a7d0-58f383a06a54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107311&group=sci.electronics.design#107311

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 04:08 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 9:01:01 PM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 7:49 PM, Ed Lee wrote:

> >> What was YOUR sampling methodology? And, YOUR sampling error?
> >>
> >> Making silly claims without even a hint as to where the "data" comes from
> >> is just plain silly.
> >>
> >> I tend to know more "sick" republicans but I don't attribute that to their
> >> wealth, attitudes towards vaccination, etc.
> >>
> >> Rather, it's because more of them are circling-the-drain at "end of life"
> >> than the (younger, healthier) liberals that I know.
> >
> > So, higher death rate for R than D is totally meaningless, just because
> > there are more older R and they watch more TV.
> Again, how do you know that?

Older people have poorer health, watch more TV, die more from Covid-19, and just happen to be more likely Republicans.

By the same token, watching TV can cause more deaths from Covid-19.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thj2c3$1sla$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107312&group=sci.electronics.design#107312

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 21:49:06 -0700
 by: corvid - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 04:49 UTC

On 10/4/22 19:19, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
> <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination
>>> rates. I.e., one could probably find a similar correlation
>>> between intelligence, proactive health care, etc.
>>
>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are
>> generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>
> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> vaccinated.

Earlier studies found the opposite.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201104/conservatives-big-fear-brain-study-finds

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201612/fear-and-anxiety-drive-conservatives-political-attitudes

Now, it's looking more complicated.

https://www.livescience.com/conservatives-not-more-fearful-than-liberals.html

https://www.psypost.org/2020/03/new-study-suggests-conservatives-are-no-more-fearful-or-threat-sensitive-than-liberals-56305

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thjegr$9th$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107320&group=sci.electronics.design#107320

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 09:16:26 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 08:16 UTC

On 05/10/2022 02:20, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 6:17 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
>>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates.
>>> I.e., one could probably find a similar correlation between
>>> intelligence,
>>> proactive health care, etc.
>>
>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer.  And rich people are generally
>> poor in health.  Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>
> Can you backup any of those three claims?

That is the exact opposite of what happened in the UK.
The rich here are generally healthier, fitter and better fed. I doubt if
it is any different in the USA except that morbid obesity and diabetes
is a lot more frequent than it is anywhere in Europe.

The poor already had health conditions due to excessive junk food
consumption and smoking. Obesity, hypertension and diabetes being far
too common - and all are co-morbidities for Covid.

Covid was able to exploit that and the fact they were living hand to
mouth and the self isolation payments were inadequate to live on.
(even the US ones were more generous)

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/jan/health-gap-between-rich-and-poor-has-widened

The Covid pandemic was predominantly a killer of the poor in the UK
since they had little choice but to go out and work sometimes even when
they knew they had Covid. It spread like wildfire in the poorest areas.
In deprived areas you were 2-3x more likely to die of Covid see Fig 2
direct effects on health comparing top 5% vs bottom 5% for outcomes.

https://www.health.org.uk/publications/long-reads/the-continuing-impact-of-covid-19-on-health-and-inequalities

It didn't help that the conspiracy theories about Bill Gates and 5G also
took root amongst the uneducated so vaccine uptake was also lower there.

The middle classes by comparison could largely work from home and took
every opportunity to get vaccinated as often as possible.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thjg16$vm2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107321&group=sci.electronics.design#107321

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 09:42:14 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 08:42 UTC

On 05/10/2022 02:34, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 6:27:32 PM UTC-7, bitrex wrote:
>>>
>>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>> ????
>>
>> In the US rich people have access to the best health care, and can
>> afford the healthiest food.
>>
>> You can buy a two liter of pop at Wal-Mart for 98 cents, but a liter of
>> carrot juice will run you $9 at Whole Foods.
>>
>> <https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/>
>>
>> They don't call it "Whole Paycheck" for nothing

It is the effect of high fat, high sugar, high salt junk food on the
poor that makes them much more likely to be obese and have diabetes.

> Money can't buy health all the time. If you want to be healthy, just eat carrots for 79 cents a pound. Just as healthy as carrot juice, if not better.

Although that is true. It is not the whole story. Humans are omnivores
we need to eat some of lots of different things to remain healthy.

I knew someone at university who was incredibly wealthy but was almost
permanently sick with something. He was just genetically very unlucky.

Carrots in excess is not a great choice as a health food - it will kill
you if taken to extremes as one UK health food nutter found out the hard
way. To my knowledge it is the only example of vitamin A poisoning
causes by eating carrots. Eating polar bear liver will do it too.

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/02/17/archives/carrotjuice-addiction-cited-in-britons-death.html

Although other variants of the killer carrot meme are available:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10428201/Man-killed-avalanche-CARROTS-Spain.html

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<15150222-2fdf-4a42-b338-f52af64d42cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107324&group=sci.electronics.design#107324

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 05:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:23 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 10:19:07 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
> <edward....@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
> >> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
> >> health care, etc.
> >
> >Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> vaccinated.

Are they less likely to look both ways before they cross the street in traffic?

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thjton$12ml$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107325&group=sci.electronics.design#107325

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 13:36:37 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:36 UTC

On 05/10/2022 03:19, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
> <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
>>> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
>>> health care, etc.
>>
>> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
>
> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> vaccinated.

Also more likely to ignore social distancing rules or wear masks and so
spread the contagion faster and more efficiently between them.

Conservatives are more likely to believe conspiracy theories and be
paranoid about Bill Gates chipping them and set fire to 5G masts too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<83fd565e-f4d1-4efe-9de3-fbfa2d98ba6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107326&group=sci.electronics.design#107326

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 05:39:02 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:39 UTC

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 4:16:35 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 05/10/2022 02:20, Don Y wrote:
> >>
> >> Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally
> >> poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
> >
> > Can you backup any of those three claims?
> That is the exact opposite of what happened in the UK.
> The rich here are generally healthier, fitter and better fed. I doubt if
> it is any different in the USA except that morbid obesity and diabetes
> is a lot more frequent than it is anywhere in Europe.
>
> The poor already had health conditions due to excessive junk food
> consumption and smoking. Obesity, hypertension and diabetes being far
> too common - and all are co-morbidities for Covid.
>
> Covid was able to exploit that and the fact they were living hand to
> mouth and the self isolation payments were inadequate to live on.
> (even the US ones were more generous)
>
> https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/jan/health-gap-between-rich-and-poor-has-widened
>
> The Covid pandemic was predominantly a killer of the poor in the UK
> since they had little choice but to go out and work sometimes even when
> they knew they had Covid. It spread like wildfire in the poorest areas.
> In deprived areas you were 2-3x more likely to die of Covid see Fig 2
> direct effects on health comparing top 5% vs bottom 5% for outcomes.

Those are mindless statistics that ignore a lot of the essential cause for their demise. Poorer people are less educated and less intelligent and don't pay attention to things like health, nutrition, and taking reasonable precautions to avoid infection.
But doing the simple poor/ not poor comparison plays into the fiction that no one is responsible for themselves and everything bad that happens to them is a victimization.

> https://www.health.org.uk/publications/long-reads/the-continuing-impact-of-covid-19-on-health-and-inequalities
>
> It didn't help that the conspiracy theories about Bill Gates and 5G also
> took root amongst the uneducated so vaccine uptake was also lower there.
>
> The middle classes by comparison could largely work from home and took
> every opportunity to get vaccinated as often as possible.

The middle classes were responsible for the development, testing, and distribution of the vaccines more so than the lower classes and upper obviously. So it's not like they're just a bunch of privileged do-nothings. It also points up the importance of the middle class in actually bearing the brunt of the burden to get anything done.

> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<1218b230-28d0-4e1b-8514-947ae6c28eb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107327&group=sci.electronics.design#107327

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 05:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:55 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:35:14 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 2:24 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > :
> > Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that
> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
> health care, etc.

Of course it is. That's why they established a baseline of the pre-vaccine excess death rates to compare with post vaccine rates. And it's not that the disparity in the rates grew because the Republican people had an accelerated rate, it grew because the Democrats had a decelerated rate.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<91041bee-e1e0-4d30-88bc-f61fed05d61en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107328&group=sci.electronics.design#107328

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 06:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 13:09 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 9:27:32 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 9:17 PM, Ed Lee wrote:
> >> This is likely purely a consequence of differences in vaccination rates. I.e.,
> >> one could probably find a similar correlation between intelligence, proactive
> >> health care, etc.
> >
> > Or perhaps because Republicans are richer. And rich people are generally poor in health. Or they are watching more TV, etc.
> ????
>
> In the US rich people have access to the best health care, and can
> afford the healthiest food.
>
> You can buy a two liter of pop at Wal-Mart for 98 cents, but a liter of
> carrot juice will run you $9 at Whole Foods.
>
> <https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/>
>
> They don't call it "Whole Paycheck" for nothing

Let your prejudices make you totally irrational much?

Michelle Obama fixed the Walmart healthy food offering enormously...she had a huge and very beneficial impact.
You can buy about a liter and a half V8 carrot juice at Walmart for $3.50, and it's EBT eligible.
https://www.walmart.com/search?q=carrot+juice
Just watch you don't look at a listing from one of their "marketplace" sellers, most of whom are #$%^&*()_ thieves, parasitic riffraff who should be boiled in oil.
EBT eligible Pepsi is $2.28 for a 2-liter.
You won't find Whole Foods listing EBT eligibility much, but that's their problem.