tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

SubjectAuthor
* Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemicFred Bloggs
+- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thea a
+* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theDon Y
> [...]
+* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thebitrex
|+- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemilegg
|`* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemiJohn Larkin
| +* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theLasse Langwadt Christensen
| |`- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemiJohn Larkin
| `* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thebitrex
|  `- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 PandemiJohn Larkin
`* Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theFlyguy
 +- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During thecorvid
 `- Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During theFlyguy

Pages:123
Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<i5bujh1jknj66s4niod5f02m1l90setd8i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107426&group=sci.electronics.design#107426

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 12:32:06 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:32 UTC

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:54:33 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>onsdag den 5. oktober 2022 kl. 20.40.18 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

>> excess
>> >death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.

>> >For a time in the 80s it was Republican policy that "so long as we have
>> >more & bigger bombs than the Russians we'll be OK" and people are still
>> >here on the Usenet, so it was clearly an optimal strategy.
>> At the end of WWII, the US proposed a world with no nukes, and Free
>> Skies flyover of the USA and USSR. The russkies refused both.
>
>Eisenhowers "Open skies"? that was just a way to make the USSR look like they were bad guys stopping arms control

But they were and they did.

They are still outliers to modern civilization. Their per capita GDP
is 3rd world. Russia should be another prosperous peaceful happy
european country, but they won't have it.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thoth0$lku$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107453&group=sci.electronics.design#107453

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 11:03:10 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:03 UTC

On 06/10/2022 15:55, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 09:26:48 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 06/10/2022 03:19, John Larkin wrote:

>>> Or it extends the duration of the local epidemic, with side effects.
>>> Or likely does nothing.
>>
>> Ultra-orthodox Jewish community in London took that approach and culled
>> many of their elders as a direct result. They refused vaccines and had
>> community antibody levels at 70% when the rest of the UK was at 7%.
>
> Vaccines are not the same as masks.

They refused masks and refused to take *any* sensible precautions too.
Several big wedding parties were prosecuted at the time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<32494994-e58c-43f6-bc76-344a76cbd666n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107568&group=sci.electronics.design#107568

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 19:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (Flyguy)
 by: Flyguy - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 02:56 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 2:24:08 PM UTC-7, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> :
> Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and evidence of a link between political party affiliation and vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22% of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.
> :
>
> https://www.nber.org/papers/w30512
>
> National Bureau of Economic Research
> Conducting and disseminating nonpartisan economic research

Hardly surprising. Democrat leaning states are poorer and are unable to travel, whereas Republican leaning states are much better off and can afford to travel. But travel comes with risks during a pandemic. The poster child for this is senile pervert Lyin' Biden who ran a presidential campaign from his BASEMENT! Now, he spends most of his time in Delaware out of sight.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<thtgoo$1ob4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107575&group=sci.electronics.design#107575

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:56:08 -0700
 by: corvid - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 03:56 UTC

On 10/8/22 19:56, Flyguy wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 2:24:08 PM UTC-7, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> : Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for
>> COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had
>> higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and
>> evidence of a link between political party affiliation and
>> vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level
>> dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during
>> the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in
>> Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate
>> substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans
>> when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the
>> difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely
>> available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for
>> Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the
>> excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death
>> rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22%
>> of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat
>> excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between
>> Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low
>> vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became
>> widely available. :
>>
>> https://www.nber.org/papers/w30512
>>
>> National Bureau of Economic Research Conducting and disseminating
>> nonpartisan economic research
>
> Hardly surprising. Democrat leaning states are poorer and are unable
> to travel, whereas Republican leaning states are much better off and
> can afford to travel.

These maps seem to show that blue states are better off.

https://www.gkgigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Blue-States-And-Red-States-1392x783.png

https://www.chamberofcommerce.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/634851_How-rich-is-each-state__012820.png

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<a44a2aef-77d3-4fcb-8986-4815fa81bb72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107594&group=sci.electronics.design#107594

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:51 UTC

On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 10:05:21 PM UTC-4, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 12:43:29 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > In fact they are well known medical epidemniologists. Their political opinions are incidental, though if you do get immersed in those kinds of statistics right-wing political opinions do start looking remarkably stupid.
> >
> > Tiny Tim was well-known too. I would be more apt to consider his opinion on the subject first.
> Granting the inanity if of lot of what you post, I'd believe that. It is a confession from you that you aren't to be taken seriously.
> > > Their right wing critics did try to find technical objections. The Wikipedia piece includes one revealing sentence
> > >
> > > " Saunders' statistical analysis was also assessed by Hugh Noble, who published an article explaining statistical inference in "The Spirit Level" and assessing the critique offered by Peter Saunders. Noble concluded that the critical analysis of The Spirit Level offered by Peter Saunders 'cannot be taken seriously because it contains so many serious technical flaws'."
> >
> > Uh-huh- and the useless academic dullards conveniently ignore the fact that these nation paradigms of egalitarian socialism are heavily reliant on and enabled by technologies developed in the very "unequal" societies they criticize so much.
> I worked at EMI Central Research in the UK not long after they had developed the brain scanner, while they were putting together the first body scanner, and later got to ask the team working on the Magnetic Resonance scanner why they weren't using a super-conducting magnet. They did have a convincing (if wrong) answer.

Australia gave up trying to build their own nuclear subs. But what do you expect from a country that elects an MP so dumb *she* thought nuclear subs could stay submerged no longer than 20 minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/20/australia-almost-no-chance-to-buy-any-submarine-from-current-us-building-program-experts-say

> American exceptionalists don't seem to be aware that this sort of work went on outside the US.
>
> Peter Robert Saunders, Professor Emeritus of Sociology at Sussex University was a British academic dullard who didn't like "The Spirit Level". The were others, some based in the US. Christopher Snowdon was an independent researcher and adjunct scholar at the Democracy Institute in Washington DC, set up by the tobacco industry as a "merchant of doubt", who came across as another such dullard with an obvious right-wing agenda and nothing useful to say.
> > > The right wing doesn't like the book. James Arthur has made this clear here in the past, but the objections were at the Gnatguy level.
> Fred Bloggs does seem to be conforming with teadition.

I'll take a look at it when it shows in a free giveaway bin someplace looking to save money on refuse disposal.

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<4394429d-3d4a-4d49-9651-ab664b8dd1a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107603&group=sci.electronics.design#107603

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:52 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> vaccinated.

Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling. It doesn't need to make sense.
Getting vaccinated prevents serious disease, the Trump-camp just
thinks they have to disrespect the practice.

Political conservatism isn't the same as a cult of personality.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<0076kht422lvkb9vrbkps4uo4g2d4vsd76@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107604&group=sci.electronics.design#107604

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 12:15:29 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:15 UTC

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>
>> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
>> vaccinated.
>
>Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling.

No, it's the opposite. Risk evaluation. Guts.

I only got vaccinated because Certain Parties made a reservation at my
favorite Italian restaurant when a vac card was mandatory. Dirty
trick.

>It doesn't need to make sense.
>Getting vaccinated prevents serious disease, the Trump-camp just
>thinks they have to disrespect the practice.
>
>Political conservatism isn't the same as a cult of personality.

Really? The New York Times sure disagrees. They couldn't print a
blueberry muffin recipe without trashing Trump and insulting the dumb
deplorable half of the US population. Ship them all our illegals.

You, of course, are being illogical and tribal, as usual.

Where do you live?

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<XnsAF2BA65738CB9idtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107610&group=sci.electronics.design#107610

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett VE3BTI)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:21:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett VE3BTI - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:21 UTC

whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>
>> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
>> vaccinated.
>
> Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling. It doesn't need to make
> sense. Getting vaccinated prevents serious disease, the Trump-camp just
> thinks they have to disrespect the practice.
>
> Political conservatism isn't the same as a cult of personality.

I'm Canadian, so I don't know the difference between conservatives and
liberals. But this might help your discussion:

Quote:

Covid deaths are unevenly distributed among Republicans and Democrats.

Average excess death rates in Florida and Ohio were 76% higher among
Republicans than Democrats between March 2020 and December 2021, according
to a working paper released last month by the National Bureau of Economic
Research. Excess deaths refers to deaths above what would be anticipated
based on historical trends.

A study in June published in Health Affairs similarly found that counties
with a Republican majority had a greater share of Covid deaths through
October 2021, relative to majority-Democratic counties.

But experts are still puzzling over why these differences exist. Are lower
vaccination rates among Republicans responsible? Or did mask use and social
distancing guidelines prevent more deaths in counties run by Democrats?

The Yale researchers behind the new working paper say vaccine hesitancy
among Republicans may be the biggest culprit.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-death-rates-higher-
republicans-democrats-why-rcna50883

--
MRM

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<c6fce6d6-487f-45db-b978-876340e62c2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107618&group=sci.electronics.design#107618

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:00:22 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:00 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 12:15:41 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> >
> >> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> >> vaccinated.
> >
> >Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling.
> No, it's the opposite. Risk evaluation. Guts.

And complete lack of civic duty to keep the public health
a priority, as well as contempt for real medical authoritative
advice. There's nothing conservative in snubbing a vaccine.

> You, of course, are being illogical and tribal, as usual.
>
> Where do you live?

I'll not be accepting logical advice from Larkin. I live on planet Earth,
the one with the pandemic. Don't you?

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<h757kht6944pinahtru5vdbfp2sgl8foj0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107621&group=sci.electronics.design#107621

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 20:44:25 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:44 UTC

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:00:22 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 12:15:41 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling.
>> No, it's the opposite. Risk evaluation. Guts.
>
>And complete lack of civic duty to keep the public health
>a priority, as well as contempt for real medical authoritative
>advice. There's nothing conservative in snubbing a vaccine.
>
>> You, of course, are being illogical and tribal, as usual.
>>
>> Where do you live?
>
>I'll not be accepting logical advice from Larkin. I live on planet Earth,
>the one with the pandemic. Don't you?

You're just afraid to say.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<d2195adf-1fa4-494e-9905-f7f5f503606dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107696&group=sci.electronics.design#107696

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:12:59 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (Flyguy)
 by: Flyguy - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:12 UTC

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 8:48:08 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 1:56:22 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 2:24:08 PM UTC-7, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > > :
> > > Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and evidence of a link between political party affiliation and vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22% of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.
> > > :
> > >
> > > https://www.nber.org/papers/w30512
> > >
> > > National Bureau of Economic Research
> > > Conducting and disseminating nonpartisan economic research.
> >
> > Hardly surprising. Democrat leaning states are poorer and are unable to travel, whereas Republican leaning states are much better off and can afford to travel.
> False.

Provide citations, i.e. proof.

> https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/2018/10/21/midterms-poorest-states-have-republican-legislatures/1694273002/
>
> You have to be poor and stupid to vote Republican - on a population basis.. Some rich people do vote Republican - even though it's stupid and likely to make them poorer in the long term - but there aren't all that many of them in the USA

Provide citations, i.e. proof.

> > But travel comes with risks during a pandemic. The poster child for this is Joe Biden who ran a presidential campaign from his BASEMENT!
>
> As opposed to Donald Trump who bussed in supporters for miles to huge rallies where they infected one another with Covid-19 with enormous success. It didn't kill off enough of his supporters to lose him the election - the US has only lost 1,087,873 dead of Covid-19, and Trump lost by more than that.

As opposed to senile pervert Lyin' Biden who rarely left his basement.

> > Now, he spends most of his time in Delaware out of sight.
> And out of range of Gnatguy's concealed carry weapon. Gnatguy has to rely on lies and abuse.

No, just out of sight and out of touch with journalists.

> --
> Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<039ac8de-6dcc-41ad-8613-5bfd69d44d07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107697&group=sci.electronics.design#107697

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:16:01 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (Flyguy)
 by: Flyguy - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:16 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 1:21:14 PM UTC-7, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
> whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> >
> >> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
> >> vaccinated.
> >
> > Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling. It doesn't need to make
> > sense. Getting vaccinated prevents serious disease, the Trump-camp just
> > thinks they have to disrespect the practice.
> >
> > Political conservatism isn't the same as a cult of personality.
> I'm Canadian, so I don't know the difference between conservatives and
> liberals. But this might help your discussion:
>
> Quote:
>
> Covid deaths are unevenly distributed among Republicans and Democrats.
>
> Average excess death rates in Florida and Ohio were 76% higher among
> Republicans than Democrats between March 2020 and December 2021, according
> to a working paper released last month by the National Bureau of Economic
> Research. Excess deaths refers to deaths above what would be anticipated
> based on historical trends.

You failed to provide a citation.

> A study in June published in Health Affairs similarly found that counties
> with a Republican majority had a greater share of Covid deaths through
> October 2021, relative to majority-Democratic counties.

You failed to provide a citation.

> But experts are still puzzling over why these differences exist. Are lower
> vaccination rates among Republicans responsible? Or did mask use and social
> distancing guidelines prevent more deaths in counties run by Democrats?

What experts? Cite, please.

> The Yale researchers behind the new working paper say vaccine hesitancy
> among Republicans may be the biggest culprit.

Which researchers? Cite, please.

> https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-death-rates-higher-
> republicans-democrats-why-rcna50883
>

> --
> MRM

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<5df23f5e-2271-4ff8-98f3-65af98cac6a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107698&group=sci.electronics.design#107698

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:17:31 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19 Pandemic
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (Flyguy)
 by: Flyguy - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:17 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 7:58:40 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 6:15:41 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > >Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling.
> >
> > No, it's the opposite. Risk evaluation. Guts.
> John Larkin discounts the risk poses by progressive anthropogneic global warming. His skills in risk evaulatuion aren't impressive.
> Using your guts when you should be using your brains isn't either.
> > I only got vaccinated because Certain Parties made a reservation at my
> > favorite Italian restaurant when a vac card was mandatory. Dirty
> > trick.
> She probably wanted to keep you around for longer. One has to wonder why.
> > >It doesn't need to make sense. Getting vaccinated prevents serious disease, the Trump-camp just thinks they have to disrespect the practice.
> > >
> > >Political conservatism isn't the same as a cult of personality.
> >
> > Really? The New York Times sure disagrees. They couldn't print a
> > blueberry muffin recipe without trashing Trump and insulting the dumb
> > deplorable half of the US population. Ship them all our illegals.
> John Larkin expects every post responding to him to flatter him. If it doesn't, he feels insulted.
> I presume he feels that the New York Times doesn't flatter Trump as fulsomnely as John Larkin feels that Trump ought to be flattered.
> > You, of course, are being illogical and tribal, as usual.
> John Larkin is illogical and tribal as a matter of routine and imagines that everybody else has the same problem.
>
> > Where do you live?
>
> Why should this matter?
>
> --
> Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

Typical ad hominem reply by the Bozo.

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<ti3n7u$1s99$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107718&group=sci.electronics.design#107718

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:23:26 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:23 UTC

On 09/10/2022 21:21, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
> whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>>
>>> Conservatives are less afraid than liberals. So less likely to get
>>> vaccinated.
>>
>> Oh, I get it now; this is virtue signalling. It doesn't need to make
>> sense. Getting vaccinated prevents serious disease, the Trump-camp just
>> thinks they have to disrespect the practice.
>>
>> Political conservatism isn't the same as a cult of personality.
>
> I'm Canadian, so I don't know the difference between conservatives and
> liberals. But this might help your discussion:
>
> Quote:
>
> Covid deaths are unevenly distributed among Republicans and Democrats.
>
> Average excess death rates in Florida and Ohio were 76% higher among
> Republicans than Democrats between March 2020 and December 2021, according
> to a working paper released last month by the National Bureau of Economic
> Research. Excess deaths refers to deaths above what would be anticipated
> based on historical trends.
>
> A study in June published in Health Affairs similarly found that counties
> with a Republican majority had a greater share of Covid deaths through
> October 2021, relative to majority-Democratic counties.
>
> But experts are still puzzling over why these differences exist. Are lower
> vaccination rates among Republicans responsible? Or did mask use and social
> distancing guidelines prevent more deaths in counties run by Democrats?
>
> The Yale researchers behind the new working paper say vaccine hesitancy
> among Republicans may be the biggest culprit.
>
> https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-death-rates-higher-
> republicans-democrats-why-rcna50883

The vaccine effectively gives an order of magnitude improvement in your
survival prospects if you catch Covid and for the earlier variants in
circulation back then a factor 3-20x protection from catching it.

Age and morbidity matched cohorts from Red and Blue states and Red and
Blue individuals is needed to disentangle which is cause and effect.
Republicans seem to be a lot more reckless about their health.

If anything the surprise is why more Republicans didn't end up dead
through their ignorant anti-science rhetoric and fear of vaccines.

In the UK deprivation is the main cofactor for where the Covid
infections really hit the hardest. Overcrowded living conditions and
poor diet amplifying the harm that it could do.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic

<ti3ndu$1umf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107719&group=sci.electronics.design#107719

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
COVID-19 Pandemic
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:26:38 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:26 UTC

On 11/10/2022 05:16, Flyguy wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 1:21:14 PM UTC-7, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:

>> The Yale researchers behind the new working paper say vaccine hesitancy
>> among Republicans may be the biggest culprit.
>
> Which researchers? Cite, please.

You are obviously far too thick to use Google.

Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

https://news.yale.edu/2020/10/27/politics-affect-public-buy-covid-19-vaccine-study-shows

--
Regards,
Martin Brown