Don't you feel more like you do now than you did when you came in?

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Google ending support for Usenet

SubjectAuthor
* Google ending support for UsenetGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
|+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetGeneral-Zod
||`- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
|`- Re: Google ending support for UsenetGeneral-Zod
+- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
+- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetW.Dockery

Pages:1234
Google ending support for Usenet

<434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244458&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244458

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:04:58 +0000
Subject: Google ending support for Usenet
From: George J...@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: George J. Dance - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:04 UTC

The big news today on the Google version of aapc is this announcement at the top of the front page:
"Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."

That's the story. But what does it mean? (A rhetorical question; Google explains what it means; see below.)

That's important to be clear on, since Team Monkey's news channel, NGBS, has already begun spreading their usual misinformation. NastyGoon, aapc's Jeopardy scholar, has been posting the Jeopardy Lie that it just means there will be "No "Eternal September" or "NovaBBS" postings after 2-15-24?" - and perhaps no hogwasher(?) either, since they gleefully addd that "David Dalton may also be SOL." Their cub reporter the Asstroll has explained that in a story of his own, based on nothing but assumption:

"I would assume that posts posted to the Google version of the "Usenet" group, through it's web interface or via GMail to the Google group wouldn't be considered Usenet posts. It looks like Google is taking it's version of Usenet groups (with prior Usenet postings) and making it general Internet, not Usenet accessible."

The only pushback so far has been from the man NastyGoon was trolling, Dr. Dalton, who explained the change this way:

"Nancy, it means that you and other google groups users will
have to switch to a newsreader accessing a newsserver
on or before February 15. (Posting and subscribing via
google groups will be disallowed.)"

Dr. Dalton is right. Google will continue to maintain its usenet archive (something they committed to doing when they bought it from Deja News last century), but will no longer update them, or allow posting to them from Google. (This is explained in full in the archive below.) Contrary to the NGBS stories,
Eternal September and NovaBBS posters will be able to continue to post to aapc (though their posts will not show up on Google), but Google Gropers will no.

|So what can Team Monkey, with their dreams of turning aapc into the new "Algonqin Club", do? For now, they could open a new Google Group, and even name it "alt.arts.poetry.comments Official Group" (just as they've done on facebook). Or (as their Asstroll has been urging) they can do the same thing on reddit. But neither of those will be aapc. aapc, like Usenet, will continue though in a radically different form.

Google Groups ending support for Usenet
If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon.

What’s changing?
Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP servers.

This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups, including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

What do I need to do?
If you don’t actively engage with Usenet content, you don’t need to do anything. Current Usenet users will need to do two things before February 22, 2024 if they want to continue engaging with Usenet content:

Find a new Usenet client. Several free and paid alternatives are available, both web-based and application-based. To find a client, do a web search for "how do I find a usenet text client"
Find a new public Usenet server. The new client you choose will likely have a default server or a set of curated options for you. If not, to find a server, do a web search for "public NNTP servers."
Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<b9468d46-f773-4c37-82b2-ce7f5dbbc896n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244466&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244466

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:09:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Google ending support for Usenet
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:09 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 11:05:17 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:

> [...]
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

Yes, for me, it basically means Nova BBS will be the top spot for Usenet posting and reading:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

And so it goes.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<63bf724f-ecb9-429f-9537-04a6c7fa2c23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244473&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244473

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:45:14 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:45 UTC

> [...]
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

NancyGene and Ash don't seem to understand what is going to happen.

Reading comprehension problems, apparently.

Usenet isn't dying, just no longer on Google Groups.

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

HTH and HAND.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<8ec06613-0d65-4683-871a-8856fc497500n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244523&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244523

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 04:22 UTC

Long article with many thoughts on the decline of Google Groups:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35070618

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<525708eba318971bf167b8c6271633db@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244528&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244528

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:25:28 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:25 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]
>> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>>
>> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
>> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo

> Yes, for me, it basically means Nova BBS will be the top spot for Usenet posting and reading:

Yes, Nova Express BBS is quite a good site

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

That is all.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<728925dd3c3be9ba9fb2528c32bbf961@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244531&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244531

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:23:55 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:23 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> The big news today on the Google version of aapc is this announcement at the top of the front page:
> "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."

> That's the story. But what does it mean? (A rhetorical question; Google explains what it means; see below.)

> That's important to be clear on, since Team Monkey's news channel, NGBS, has already begun spreading their usual misinformation. NastyGoon, aapc's Jeopardy scholar, has been posting the Jeopardy Lie that it just means there will be "No "Eternal September" or "NovaBBS" postings after 2-15-24?" - and perhaps no hogwasher(?) either, since they gleefully addd that "David Dalton may also be SOL." Their cub reporter the Asstroll has explained that in a story of his own, based on nothing but assumption:

> "I would assume that posts posted to the Google version of the "Usenet" group, through it's web interface or via GMail to the Google group wouldn't be considered Usenet posts. It looks like Google is taking it's version of Usenet groups (with prior Usenet postings) and making it general Internet, not Usenet accessible."

> The only pushback so far has been from the man NastyGoon was trolling, Dr. Dalton, who explained the change this way:

> "Nancy, it means that you and other google groups users will
> have to switch to a newsreader accessing a newsserver
> on or before February 15. (Posting and subscribing via
> google groups will be disallowed.)"

> Dr. Dalton is right. Google will continue to maintain its usenet archive (something they committed to doing when they bought it from Deja News last century), but will no longer update them, or allow posting to them from Google. (This is explained in full in the archive below.) Contrary to the NGBS stories,
> Eternal September and NovaBBS posters will be able to continue to post to aapc (though their posts will not show up on Google), but Google Gropers will not.

That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is over to Nova BBS:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

> |So what can Team Monkey, with their dreams of turning aapc into the new "Algonqin Club", do? For now, they could open a new Google Group, and even name it "alt.arts.poetry.comments Official Group" (just as they've done on facebook). Or (as their Asstroll has been urging) they can do the same thing on reddit. But neither of those will be aapc. aapc, like Usenet, will continue though in a radically different form.

> Google Groups ending support for Usenet
> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon.

> What’s changing?
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP servers.

> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups, including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

> What do I need to do?
> If you don’t actively engage with Usenet content, you don’t need to do anything. Current Usenet users will need to do two things before February 22, 2024 if they want to continue engaging with Usenet content:

> Find a new Usenet client. Several free and paid alternatives are available, both web-based and application-based. To find a client, do a web search for "how do I find a usenet text client"
> Find a new public Usenet server. The new client you choose will likely have a default server or a set of curated options for you. If not, to find a server, do a web search for "public NNTP servers."
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ulkq3b$7514$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244540&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244540

From: g.mor...@hog.com (Gregory Morrow)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:25:47 -0500
 by: Gregory Morrow - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:25 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:
> That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can
> tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is
> over to Nova BBS:
>
> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thre.arts.poetry.comments

How can we get rid of that sewer next?

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<16872cda23efbb5fa2ab75803e888f0f@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244543&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244543

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:35:40 +0000
From: General-...@news.novabbs.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:35 UTC

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can
>> tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is
>> over to Nova BBS:
>>
>> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thre.arts.poetry.comments
>>

> How can we get rid of that sewer next?

That's probably your upper lip you smell, bigot troll...

"Tear in your eye."

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<93b5248c88f5da71e26decd3648e6a60@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244552&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244552

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:00:53 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:00 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> [...]

> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

This thread sets the record...

Well put G.D.

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ku6hkdFl18aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244554&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244554

From: pjr...@example.invalid (Peter J Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:03:09 +0000
 by: Peter J Ross - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:03 UTC

On 15/12/2023 16:04, George J. Dance wrote:
> The big news today on the Google version of aapc is this announcement at
> the top of the front page: "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups
> will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will
> be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.
> Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it
> is done today."

<whinesnip>

Woo hoo!

Woo hoo!!

Woo fucking hoo, with well-polished brass knobs on!!!

Unlike all you pathetic subhuman plagiarists, paedophiles, stalkers,
bums, drug-addicts and drunkards, who depend on the Internet for
everything, I received the wonderful news by telephone yesterday, and
today I'm here to celebrate.

Woo hoo!

Woo hoo!!

Woo fucking hoo, and this is almost as good news as the death of a Dunce
or a Dreckster!!!

(Note: In case anybody's reading this who isn't a moron, I apologise for
using Thunderbird for this post, and perhaps a few more posts. I'll be
setting up slrn and vim as soon as I can, but I'm quite elderly
nowadays, so it may take me a day or three.)

--
PJR :-)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<3f138cbb-b98e-407b-8183-4a1f652060e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244555&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244555

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:07:00 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:07 UTC

On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 4:03:12 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:
> On 15/12/2023 16:04, George J. Dance wrote:
>
> > The big news today on the Google version of aapc is this announcement at
> > the top of the front page: "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups
> > will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will
> > be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.
> > Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it
> > is done today."
> <whinesnip>
>
> Woo hoo!
>
> Woo hoo!!
>
> Woo fucking hoo, with well-polished brass knobs on!!!
>
> Unlike all you pathetic subhuman plagiarists, paedophiles, stalkers,
> bums, drug-addicts and drunkards, who depend on the Internet for
> everything, I received the wonderful news by telephone yesterday, and
> today I'm here to celebrate.
>
> Woo hoo!
>
> Woo hoo!!
>
> Woo fucking hoo, and this is almost as good news as the death of a Dunce
> or a Dreckster!!!
>

> (Note: In case anybody's reading this who isn't a moron, I apologise for
> using Thunderbird for this post, and perhaps a few more posts. I'll be
> setting up slrn and vim as soon as I can, but I'm quite elderly
> nowadays, so it may take me a day or three.)
>
> --
> PJR :-)

Wow, Peter J. Ross lives!

🙂

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ku6icgFl18aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244556&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244556

From: pjr...@example.invalid (Peter J Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:16:00 +0000
 by: Peter J Ross - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:16 UTC

[AHM added]

On 16/12/2023 18:25, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> W.Dockery wrote:
>> That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can
>> tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is
>> over to Nova BBS:
>>
>> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thre.arts.poetry.comments
>>

> How can we get rid of that sewer next?

I've already port-scanned it.

I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you understand.

It's a nice site, isn't it?

It would be a shame if something happened to it.

--
PJR :-)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<7c61a7ea-2fcf-47e5-8b79-90c1bf9df114n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244557&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244557

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:20:49 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:20 UTC

On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 4:16:04 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:
> [AHM added]
> On 16/12/2023 18:25, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > W.Dockery wrote:
> >> That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can
> >> tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is
> >> over to Nova BBS:
> >>
> >> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thre.arts.poetry.comments
> >>

> > How can we get rid of that sewer next?
> I've already port-scanned it.
>
> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you understand.
>
> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>
> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>
> --
> PJR :-)

Yes, Retro Guy might need to ban you.

🙂

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ku6iveFl18aU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244558&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244558

From: pjr...@example.invalid (Peter J Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:26:06 +0000
 by: Peter J Ross - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:26 UTC

On 16/12/2023 21:07, Will Dockery wrote:

> Wow, Peter J. Ross lives!

Does he? If so, why is he the only inhabitant of this planet whom you
haven't invited to post drivel in AAPC?

--
PJR :-)

Accept no dotty substitutes.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ku6jd3Fl18aU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244559&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244559

From: pjr...@example.invalid (Peter J Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious,alt.usenet.kooks
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:33:23 +0000
 by: Peter J Ross - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:33 UTC

[AHM restored. Hello, empty AHM! AUK added. Hello, empty AUK!]

On 16/12/2023 21:20, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 4:16:04 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:
>> [AHM added]

>>> How can we get rid of that sewer next?
>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>
>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you understand.
>>
>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>
>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>
> Yes, Retro Guy might need to ban you.

I live in perpetual dread of that happening.

Meanwhile, clueless newbie, when are you going to learn that it's
acceptable to remove a newsgroup from the list of crossposted newsgroups
only if you notify the removal in the body of your post?

--
PJR :-)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<MPG.3fe7e6fbb2bab9c89898d5@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244561&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244561

From: pissc...@qmail.net (%)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:56:04 -0500
 by: % - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:56 UTC

In article <ku6icgFl18aU2@mid.individual.net>, pjr@example.invalid says...

> [AHM added]
>
> On 16/12/2023 18:25, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > W.Dockery wrote:
> >> That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can
> >> tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is
> >> over to Nova BBS:
> >>
> >> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thre.arts.poetry.comments
> >>

> > How can we get rid of that sewer next?
>
> I've already port-scanned it.
>
> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you understand.
>
> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>
> It would be a shame if something happened to it.

lol

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<caf23a4fcff8734e9e363c99b1140e3a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244569&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244569

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 22:52:43 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 22:52 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 4:03:12 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:
>> On 15/12/2023 16:04, George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> > The big news today on the Google version of aapc is this announcement at
>> > the top of the front page: "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups
>> > will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will
>> > be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.
>> > Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it
>> > is done today."
>> <whinesnip>
>>
>> Woo hoo!
>>
>> Woo hoo!!
>>
>> Woo fucking hoo, with well-polished brass knobs on!!!
>>
>> Unlike all you pathetic subhuman plagiarists, paedophiles, stalkers,
>> bums, drug-addicts and drunkards, who depend on the Internet for
>> everything, I received the wonderful news by telephone yesterday, and
>> today I'm here to celebrate.
>>
>> Woo hoo!
>>
>> Woo hoo!!
>>
>> Woo fucking hoo, and this is almost as good news as the death of a Dunce
>> or a Dreckster!!!
>>

>> (Note: In case anybody's reading this who isn't a moron, I apologise for
>> using Thunderbird for this post, and perhaps a few more posts. I'll be
>> setting up slrn and vim as soon as I can, but I'm quite elderly
>> nowadays, so it may take me a day or three.)
>>
>> --
>> PJR :-)

> Wow, Peter J. Ross lives!

> 🙂

Yo

So glad to see Peter is apparently doing well...!

That is all.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ulld3r$896n$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244579&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244579

From: leg...@astroconsulting.com (Edmond Wollmann)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 23:50:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edmond Wollmann - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 23:50 UTC

On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some

> [AHM added]
>
> On 16/12/2023 18:25, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> W.Dockery wrote:
>>> That's exactly what the announcement says, meaning, as far as I can
>>> tell, the easiest move from the Google Groups version of a.a.p.c. is
>>> over to Nova BBS:
>>>
>>> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thre.arts.poetry.comments
>>>

>> How can we get rid of that sewer next?
>
> I've already port-scanned it.
>
> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
> understand.
>
> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>
> It would be a shame if something happened to it.

Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<035f9fc3b354e97bf371d863d0b4f837@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244581&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244581

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:32:51 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:32 UTC

Edmond Wollmann wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some

>> [AHM added]

>>> How can we get rid of that sewer next?
>>
>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>
>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
>> understand.
>>
>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>
>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.

> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.

Don't ruin PJR's fantasy.

🙂

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<slrnunsja1.12ia.pjr@nntp.pjross.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244586&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244586

From: pjr...@example.invalid (Peter J Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious
Date: 17 Dec 2023 01:22:09 GMT
 by: Peter J Ross - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 01:22 UTC

On 2023-12-16, Edmond Wollmann <legal@astroconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some
>
>> [AHM added]

>>> How can we get rid of that sewer next?
>>
>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>
>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
>> understand.
>>
>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>
>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>
> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.

Not that you, socky, would be capable of doing anything to, er, doing
anything to, er, doing, er ...

Is there anything you're capable of doing, socky? I need to imagine
something that you're capable of doing in order to complete my reply.

--
PJR :-)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<slrnunsjak.12ia.pjr@nntp.pjross.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244587&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244587

From: pjr...@example.invalid (Peter J Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious
Date: 17 Dec 2023 01:22:28 GMT

On 2023-12-16, Edmond Wollmann <legal@astroconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some
>
>> [AHM added]

>>> How can we get rid of that sewer next?
>>
>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>
>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
>> understand.
>>
>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>
>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>
> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.

--
PJR :-)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<6d97ee19c960ceeec02fce89b7cc2e1c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244595&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244595

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 01:51:48 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 01:51 UTC

Peter J Ross wrote:

> On 2023-12-16, Edmond Wollmann <legal@astroconsulting.com> wrote:
>> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some
>>
>>> [AHM added]

>>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
>>> understand.
>>>
>>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>>
>>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>>
>> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.

> Not that you, socky, would be capable of doing anything to, er, doing
> anything to, er, doing, er ...

> Is there anything you're capable of doing, socky? I need to imagine
> something that you're capable of doing in order to complete my reply.

Yo

Peter, you seem to be losing your edge...

What a boring comeback..!

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<0bf7a9db7d44c25098a12fccfaf42590@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244607&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244607

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:09:10 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:09 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Peter J Ross wrote:

>> On 2023-12-16, Edmond Wollmann <legal@astroconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some

>>> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.

>> Not that you, socky, would be capable of doing anything to, er, doing
>> anything to, er, doing, er ...

>> Is there anything you're capable of doing, socky? I need to imagine
>> something that you're capable of doing in order to complete my reply.

> Yo

> Peter, you seem to be losing your edge...

> What a boring comeback..!

Go easy on him, PJR is obviously a little bit feeble minded these days.

HTH and HAND.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ullr07$8s5c$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244612&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244612

From: leg...@astroconsulting.com (Edmond Wollmann)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:47:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edmond Wollmann - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

On 16 Dec 2023, W.Dockery @news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery) posted some

> Edmond Wollmann wrote:
>
>> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some
>
>>> [AHM added]

>>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
>>> understand.
>>>
>>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>>
>>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>
>> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.
>
> Don't ruin PJR's fantasy.

Wait until he finds the puppy in his stocking. I scraped it up after a
car ran over it.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ullr0c$8s5c$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244613&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244613

From: leg...@astroconsulting.com (Edmond Wollmann)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.hackers.malicious
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:47:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edmond Wollmann - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid>, the farting moocher and tepid
faux-man who likes ravenous in and out jobs with echidnas, and whose
partner is a woman-of-Babylon with a commodious juice box, wrote in
<slrnunsja1.12ia.pjr@nntp.pjross.me>:

> On 2023-12-16, Edmond Wollmann <legal@astroconsulting.com> wrote:
>> On 16 Dec 2023, Peter J Ross <pjr@example.invalid> posted some
>>
>>> [AHM added]

>>> I've already port-scanned it.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in the welfare of the site in a friendly way, you
>>> understand.
>>>
>>> It's a nice site, isn't it?
>>>
>>> It would be a shame if something happened to it.
>>
>> Not that you'd be capable of doing anything to influence it.
>
> Not that

Yes that.

Be more respectful to your betters or you'll find faggots in your wheel
chair spokes.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Google ending support for Usenet