"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything." -- A. L.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Google ending support for Usenet

SubjectAuthor
* Google ending support for UsenetGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
|+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetGeneral-Zod
||`- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
|`- Re: Google ending support for UsenetGeneral-Zod
+- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
+- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetW.Dockery

Pages:1234
Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<XnsB0E7AC0185C34PantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245225&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245225

From: cuj...@petitmorte.net (Cujo DeSockpuppet)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: Google ending support for Usenet
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 21:54:32 -0000 (UTC)
References: <434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com> <f9b0803d425f4ec0bc60732a324abb54@news.novabbs.com> <2add45a5-51a9-456b-a1b3-3f3e5da112f3n@googlegroups.com> <slrnuoepnn.40d.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <2fda01f793fdedcab76c95acc58bbb4f@news.novabbs.com> <slrnuomls0.2uq.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <XnsB0E6BE879EA1PantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170> <9fe1ca10-66b5-4f86-a99b-130e5147c308n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Cujo DeSockpuppet - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 21:54 UTC

Family Guy <madeforzyngagames@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Tuesday, December 26, 2023 at 6:43:49 PM UTC-5, Cujo DeSockpuppet
> wrote:
>> Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> wrote in

>> > Even Ed Wollmann has sold more copies of his books than you.
>> Not fair, Ed used to call stores as someone else and ask them to
>> order the book. I believe he also had Marsha Kalfsbeek and a few
>> other F'losers like Little Brucie Kettler doing the same thing.
>
> That's a very bullshit move.
> How would he sell them, anyway?
> Have his cronies go in and buy it for him?

It happened a little before I started laughing at Edmo but I think the
idea was to boost "sales" and get some exposure at book stores. You know
we are dealing with a world class kook, right?

They would end up getting remaindered anyway. When I looked a few years
after the book came out the San Diego public libraries had something
like 15 copies. I couldn't get past the first few pages. It's that bad.

At one point he bullied the Amazon reviews pages into only keeping the 5
star reviews, many of them were Edmo's sockpuppets.
https://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Astrological-Guide-Self-Empowerment-ebo
ok/product-reviews/B077CB19BM/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewe
rType=all_reviews

At one point I gave an over the top 5 star review that lasted for months
until someone told him it was actually a bad review.

>> All Will had were a few imbecilic henchmorons and a daughter who was
>> forced to work at a bait store in Shitkicker, Alabama. As Dunce had
>> something to do with it, you can't count out the Canuckistan market.
>> I'll bet they sold one or two in the remainder queues.

Here you go:

"Edmo had every rewiew critical of his book on Amazon censored. It's
full of plagiarism, delusions and outright stupidity with tons of
ridiculous phrases and blatant grammatical errors. Here's a repost of
the ones that used to be on www.fatbrain.com before they figured out he
wasn't worth the disk space to host any ads for that piece of crap.

************************

submitted this review on 8/13/00
Skill Level: All Levels, Rating:
Mr Wollmann has published a book that can only be called the greatest
waste of trees in the modern world.
His book is filled with gross errors, misrepresentation and lies. Mr
Wollmann has attempted to blend several new age concepts with the
ancient art of astrology and failed utterly and completely. He also
needs to hire a 1st class proof reader to correct the many spelling and
grammar errors. One person I shared my copy of the book found 12 errors
on the back cover alone. She had to resist using her red pencil, stating
her 7th grade english students had greater writing ability than Wollmann
has.

submitted this review on 8/12/00Skill Level: All Levels, Rating:
A literary "plan 9 from outer space".
Destined to become a cult classic as "the worst book ever written", this
so-called book makes other self-published rants by insane people look
good by comparison. Here is why:

1). Kooky beliefs: There seems to be nothing Mr. Wollman does NOT
believe in. Except for astrology he also believes in ancient astronauts,
the Rosewell UFO crash, reincarnation, pyramidology, JFK assassination
conspiracies, men in black, the "philadelphia experiment", Altantis, and
more. He keeps using one fringe idea to support another : Rosewell
"proves" astrology is accuate, reincarnated spirits provide "eyewitness
testimony" that Atlantis was real, etc. (Reminds one of the old joke of
"proving" your stray dog is worth $10,000 because you gave two $5000-
dollar alley cats for it.)

2). Kooky mistakes: Mr. Wollman's grasp of *actual* facts, on the other
hand, is very flimsy. He makes elementary factual mistakes in virtually
EVERY PAGE of his book. A *very* partial list of what Mr. Wollman thinks
is true: Orion is a star; tau ceti is in taurus; the Pyramids of Gaza
are tetrahedron-shaped; the star Altair supports life; DNA looks "just
like a galaxy", go figure. Needless to say, Mr. Wollman believes he
knows more science that "all of you spinics [a Wollman-word meaning
"critic" and "spin-artist" combined."]

3). Kooky language: Mr. Wollman's book is the only one I know of which
has spelling and grammar mistakes on the BACK COVER BLURB, which gives
one an idea of how "carefully edited" this book is. As for style, Mr.
Wollman sounds like an informercial: Always obsfucate with meaningless
"big words". Why say "explains" when you can say "provides a
psychological understanding"? Why say "this book has an index" when you
can say it "contains a complete delineation guide in self-empowerment
terms"? It is virtually impossible to read one paragraph in Wollman's
book without either falling asleep of bursting out laughing.
Incidentally, Mr. Wollman is PROUD of the fact that his writings are
unreadable: he proudly proclaimed that he "got phone calls from many
readers who read my book and were baffled." Take THAT, #@#$!! critics!

4). Kooky indexes: This book has *13* indexes - one at the end of each
chapter, and a re-printing of all of them, one after another, as the
"index" at the end of the book. These indexes are the most hilarious bit
of kookery I have ever seen. They are only *approximately* in
alphabetical order (entries such as "the square" are listed in the index
under 't' for 'the' - reminds me of the Gary Larson cartoon book index
where all the cartoons were listed under 't' as "the one about the...").
They lack entries for most of the terms that are mentioned in the
chapter they supposedly "index", but include entries for words like
"the", "a", "3" and so on. (My favorite is the index for ch. 2, which
has the helpful entry "index" - which refers you to itself!) When you
actually *find* a term in this chenobyl of an "index", it *almost always
refers you to the wrong page*. See how long it takes you to find the
word "asteroid" in the text using the "helpful" page numbers given in
the index for Ch. 2, for example. Have a drink; it's going to take a
while...

5). Kooky criticisms: When Mr. Wollman was criticized about his
"book" on the internet, he became very agressive. He complained to
people's ISPs for "abusing" him (the ISP's put him in their killfiles
and laughed at him, despite his claims of "killing hundreds of accounts"
and "reporting [x] to the FBI.") He threatened to sue people for
"libeling" him and causing him "financial damage" (apprently Mr. Wollman
thinks that any negative criticism is "libel." Of course, he never sued
or will sue anyone.) He complained to amazon.com for allowing people to
post "fake" (=critical) reviews of his book. Whatever you do... if you
call Wollmann about his book, you better praise it, or he will get wewy,
wewy angwy with you.

6). Damnation by fake praise: to outdo this
"damage" the "spinics" (=critics) caused his book, (which had
nevertheless soared to the 480,000+ place on amazon.com's best-seller
list) Mr. Wollman flooded the internet book stores with made-up
"five-star" reviews of his book. Their style immediately shows that the
"amazed" reader is no other than Mr. Wollmann, but it is interesting to
look at the kind of praise he gave himself. For example, on amazon.com a
"reader" claimed Wollman's book is "better than the bible and mein
kampf" (sic!). Another "reader" claimed this book "makes losers into
winners", since he "gave Mr. Wollman's book to my little-league
ice-hockey team to read" and they improved their record. Yet another
"reader" claims that "if he only had Mr. Wollman's book 20 years ago"
the cold war would have been won long before it actually was (maybe, but
who would have won?) It all sounds SO reasonable; what's not to believe?

In conclusion, it all depends. As a "straight" book, it is a total and
umitigated failure. As a unintentional "joke" book... it is hilarious. I
actually made a few new friends reading Mr. Wollman's book in
Barnes&Noble once - I was laughing so hard people had to ask me what on
earth I was reading. Soon quite a few of the people in the store were
trying to top each other in finding the funniest overblown nonesense
they could in the book...

submitted this review on 8/11/00Skill Level: All Levels, Rating:
Gibberish, total meaningless prattle. A real waste of one tree, because
I cannot imagine too many people getting duped into buying this lousy
book unless it's for the unintentional "laugh factor". The so-called
author should give his head a shake. Then bury it, along with this awful
book.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<d0e5c393-a579-417f-9ae2-42f77ecdcdb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245228&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245228

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:35:12 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:35 UTC

<XnsB0E7BED41604FPantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245229&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245229

From: cuj...@petitmorte.net (Cujo DeSockpuppet)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:45:33 -0000 (UTC)
References: <434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com> <f9b0803d425f4ec0bc60732a324abb54@news.novabbs.com> <2add45a5-51a9-456b-a1b3-3f3e5da112f3n@googlegroups.com> <slrnuoepnn.40d.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <2fda01f793fdedcab76c95acc58bbb4f@news.novabbs.com> <slrnuomls0.2uq.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <XnsB0E6BE879EA1PantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170> <9fe1ca10-66b5-4f86-a99b-130e5147c308n@googlegroups.com> <XnsB0E7AC0185C34PantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170> <d0e5c393-a579-417f-9ae2-42f77ecdcdb3n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Cujo DeSockpuppet - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:45 UTC

Michael Pendragon <michaelmaleficapendragon@gmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
>> This is a Kook book masquerading as serious science. Ed Wollmann
>> attempts to persuade the reader they can create their own reality,
>> that
>
>> their beliefs shape it. This is not science; this is escapism. It is
>> likely the author can't handle the truth of his own reality and wants
>
>> push his incoherent fantasy beliefs onto others. In searching for
>> Edmond
>
>> Wollmann on the Internet and seeing what others have written about
>> him,
>
>> I may be right. I won't even get started about the LONG, RAMBLING,
>> INFINITE text the author sacrifices way too many hundreds of pages
>> on. Wollmann has a gift for saying the least with the most. This is a
>> Kook book; don't read.
>>
>> *******************
>>
>> PS: If you are going to buy this POS, buy it used. Don't give that

I'm just pointing there may be worse things than Dreckweasel.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<b614aa21465d08f7714a8860e77ca42c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245230&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245230

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:59:54 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com> <f9b0803d425f4ec0bc60732a324abb54@news.novabbs.com> <2add45a5-51a9-456b-a1b3-3f3e5da112f3n@googlegroups.com> <slrnuoepnn.40d.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <2fda01f793fdedcab76c95acc58bbb4f@news.novabbs.com> <slrnuomls0.2uq.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <XnsB0E6BE879EA1PantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170> <9fe1ca10-66b5-4f86-a99b-130e5147c308n@googlegroups.com> <XnsB0E7AC0185C34PantyheadPoorHouse@135.181.20.170> <d0e5c393-a579-417f-9ae2-42f77ecdcdb3n@googlegroups.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:59 UTC

Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> wrote in news:slrnuomls...@nntp.pjross.me:

Selected Poems 197-2019:

https://www.amazon.com/Selected-Poems-1976-2019-Will-Dockery/dp/0994860013

His books were probably published years before mine, also.

But I've seen o evidence either way.

<ae9804225ccc9a218f79d3647291c5c0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245314&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245314

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:40:05 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:40 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> [...]

> Eternal September and NovaBBS posters will be able to continue to post to aapc (though their posts will not show up on Google), but Google Gropers will no.

> |So what can Team Monkey, with their dreams of turning aapc into the new "Algonqin Club", do? For now, they could open a new Google Group, and even name it "alt.arts.poetry.comments Official Group" (just as they've done on facebook). Or (as their Asstroll has been urging) they can do the same thing on reddit. But neither of those will be aapc. aapc, like Usenet, will continue though in a radically different form.

> Google Groups ending support for Usenet
> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon.

> What’s changing?
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP servers.

> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups, including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

> What do I need to do?
> If you don’t actively engage with Usenet content, you don’t need to do anything. Current Usenet users will need to do two things before February 22, 2024 if they want to continue engaging with Usenet content:

> Find a new Usenet client. Several free and paid alternatives are available, both web-based and application-based. To find a client, do a web search for "how do I find a usenet text client"
> Find a new public Usenet server. The new client you choose will likely have a default server or a set of curated options for you. If not, to find a server, do a web search for "public NNTP servers."
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

With new Usenet venues becoming available as well, the end of Google Groups isn't as final as it may seem.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<f6d7f571-0f76-4ed5-88ff-4c2ed3325635n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245386&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245386

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 00:22:17 -0800 (PST)
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:22 UTC

On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 9:40:41 AM UTC-5, W.Dockery wrote:
> [...]
> > Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data.. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> > Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> > Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
>
> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo
> With new Usenet venues becoming available as well, the end of Google Groups isn't as final as it may seem.

You didn't listen the first time did you? Was it what you like to call "gibberish" to you and you couldn't understand it?
Google Groups are not ending-- my Google Group will keep going on while Google Group's AAPC and RAP will stop and it has nothing to do with new Usenet venues...

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<dd20196681315915ade200e613bb213a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245389&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245389

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:42:21 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:42 UTC

Ash Wurthing wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> > Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
>> > Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
>>
>> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo
>> With new Usenet venues becoming available as well, the end of Google Groups isn't as final as it may seem.

> You didn't listen the first time did you? Was it what you like to call "gibberish" to you and you couldn't understand it?
> Google Groups are not ending-- my Google Group will keep going on while Google Group's AAPC and RAP will stop and it has nothing to do with new Usenet venues...

No, a.a.p.c. and r.a.p. will not stop, but we might not be seeing YOU posting here after the February cut off, Ash, if you decide to stop posting at that time.

"Good riddance," as PJR wrote.

😃

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<4c2e2ecc60dfca51db2d805e8378ed88@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245392&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245392

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:51:37 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:51 UTC

Ash Wurthing wrote:

> On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
>
>> "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
>>
>> As posted at the top of Google Groups. David Dalton may also be SOL.

> Hello Rachel,
> I would assume that posts posted to the Google version of the "Usenet" group, through it's web interface or via GMail to the Google group wouldn't be considered Usenet posts. It looks like Google is taking it's version of Usenet groups (with prior Usenet postings) and making it general Internet, not Usenet accessible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now you're obviously the confused one, Ash.

^^^^^^^

Since you brought confusion up.

HTH and HAND.

And as George J. Dance set the record straight:

> [...]

> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

And so it goes.

😃

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<597c4d25-9d92-4d51-9688-bedf9bcc7d55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245401&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245401

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 02:09:35 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 10:09 UTC

Ash Wurthing wrote:

>> On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
>>
>>> "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
>>>
>>> As posted at the top of Google Groups. David Dalton may also be SOL.

>> Hello Rachel,
>> I would assume that posts posted to the Google version of the "Usenet" group, through it's web interface or via GMail to the Google group wouldn't be considered Usenet posts. It looks like Google is taking it's version of Usenet groups (with prior Usenet postings) and making it general Internet, not Usenet accessible.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Now you're obviously the confused one, Ash.

> ^^^^^^^

> Since you brought confusion up.

> HTH and HAND.

<...>

So two weeks ago you were confused, until George Dance and David Dalton corrected you and set the record straight.

"We know."

😃

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<c16845f0-0674-43c9-8c18-b52d61674d11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245424&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245424

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 10:54:24 -0800 (PST)
From: madeforz...@yahoo.com (Family Guy)
 by: Family Guy - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:54 UTC

> [...]
> > Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data.. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> > Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> > Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
>
> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo
> With new Usenet venues becoming available as well, the end of Google Groups isn't as final as it may seem.

Um, Mr. Moron?
People will be posting - or will at least try to post, i don't know how your spamfest narcissism trolling will go - from another location.
Google Groups will still have "ended."
I think the four brain cells that survived your drug and alcoholism are confused again. Or maybe you're just really, really stupid.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<474f838991d942b602e6ee1ae269d9fc@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245476&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245476

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 16:26:34 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 16:26 UTC

Family Guy wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> > Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
>> > Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
>>
>> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo
>> With new Usenet venues becoming available as well, the end of Google Groups isn't as final as it may seem.

> People will be posting - or will at least try to post

Probably, yes.

> Google Groups will still have "ended."

It seems so, yes.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<8788ccb6-c0d0-4715-91ef-8008bd9adde6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245491&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245491

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:06:05 -0800 (PST)
From: madeforz...@yahoo.com (Family Guy)
 by: Family Guy - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:06 UTC

On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 11:30:13 AM UTC-5, W.Dockery wrote:
> Family Guy wrote:

> >> With new Usenet venues becoming available as well, the end of Google Groups isn't as final as it may seem.
>

> > People will be posting - or will at least try to post
> Probably, yes.

What are you and your little buddies going to do, Donkey?

> > Google Groups will still have "ended."
> It seems so, yes.

But that's not what you said above, jackass.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<fcf12805fc21398d308a73a294d0ef3b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245498&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245498

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 21:06:48 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 21:06 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> [...]

> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

Again, well put.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<8c8d9656-cff4-4e11-b0d9-d6f94049b92dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245504&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245504

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 15:12:11 -0800 (PST)
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 23:12 UTC

On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 2:06:07 PM UTC-5, Family Guy wrote:
> On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 11:30:13 AM UTC-5, W.Dockery wrote:
> > Family Guy wrote:

> > > People will be posting - or will at least try to post
> > Probably, yes.
> What are you and your little buddies going to do, Donkey?
> > > Google Groups will still have "ended."
> > It seems so, yes.
> But that's not what you said above, jackass.

OI! You're killin' me!! You get LO7 OF TEH YEAR'S END!!!

Sorry that your award is late-- that damned "made up" disability, you know-- can't prove to Google that I'm human >.<

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ff838de80ba69843e137b4dd87176860@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=245513&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#245513

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:11:50 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:11 UTC

Family Guy wrote:

> On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 11:30:13 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> Family Guy wrote:

>> > People will be posting - or will at least try to post
>> Probably, yes.

> What are you and your little buddies going to do, Donkey?

>> > Google Groups will still have "ended."
>> It seems so, yes.

> But that's not what you said above, jackass.

Since I'm not even using Google Groups now, again, it hardly matters.

HTH and HAND.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<64d178dd-cdcb-4e64-97ed-f68af4fafe6cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246004&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246004

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:12:04 -0800 (PST)
From: holumbu...@gmail.com (Jordy C)
 by: Jordy C - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:12 UTC

On Monday, December 25, 2023 at 12:54:43 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
> W-Dockery wrote:

> >> says the pissbum that lives under a tarp
> >
> > Zod is an outdoorsman, which is beyond the scope and abilities of a pansy like you.
> >
> he's a destitute pissbum, just like you are, shitstain

OMG that is just mean. You should just shut up.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<17ab30cb8e3fd3d4$4840$2880686$e6ddec62@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246008&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246008

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com> <728925dd3c3be9ba9fb2528c32bbf961@news.novabbs.com> <ulkq3b$7514$2@paganini.bofh.team> <16872cda23efbb5fa2ab75803e888f0f@news.novabbs.com> <17a40a169267ef42$123783$2010109$e0ddea62@news.thecubenet.com> <4b7ddd1e-81e9-4b93-814e-fce4a0925a42n@googlegroups.com> <17a424ac3b5f9ead$18947$846638$6cdd666a@news.thecubenet.com> <64d178dd-cdcb-4e64-97ed-f68af4fafe6cn@googlegroups.com>
From: prec...@yahoo.net (%)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:55:34 -0500
 by: % - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:55 UTC

Jordy C wrote:
> On Monday, December 25, 2023 at 12:54:43 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
>> W-Dockery wrote:

>>> Zod is an outdoorsman, which is beyond the scope and abilities of a pansy like you.
>>>
>> he's a destitute pissbum, just like you are, shitstain
>
> OMG that is just mean. You should just shut up.

make me shut up, pissbum

google will be making *you* stfu real soon

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<983af9fd-8e45-4a29-a54c-aab8bdac224cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246009&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246009

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:59:27 -0800 (PST)
From: jdchase...@gmail.com (Jordy C)
 by: Jordy C - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:59 UTC

On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-5, % wrote:
> Jordy C wrote:

> >> he's a destitute pissbum, just like you are, shitstain
> >
> > OMG that is just mean. You should just shut up.
> >
> make me shut up, pissbum
>
> google will be making *you* stfu real soon

That. Wasn’t me who wrote that, it was the fake “Jordy”…

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<5744f2f8361b92a9be7d2bc78bac9647@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246011&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246011

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:34:38 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com> <728925dd3c3be9ba9fb2528c32bbf961@news.novabbs.com> <ulkq3b$7514$2@paganini.bofh.team> <16872cda23efbb5fa2ab75803e888f0f@news.novabbs.com> <17a40a169267ef42$123783$2010109$e0ddea62@news.thecubenet.com> <4b7ddd1e-81e9-4b93-814e-fce4a0925a42n@googlegroups.com> <17a424ac3b5f9ead$18947$846638$6cdd666a@news.thecubenet.com> <64d178dd-cdcb-4e64-97ed-f68af4fafe6cn@googlegroups.com> <17ab30cb8e3fd3d4$4840$2880686$e6ddec62@news.thecubenet.com> <983af9fd-8e45-4a29-a54c-aab8bdac224cn@googlegroups.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:34 UTC

Jordy C wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-5, % wrote:
>> Jordy C wrote:

>> > OMG that is just mean. You should just shut up.
>> >
>> make me shut up, pissbum
>>
>> google will be making *you* stfu real soon

> That. Wasn’t me who wrote that, it was the fake “Jordy”…

Well, one thing that's hanging on are the impostor trolls.

And so it goes.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<14d3ec48-8093-4130-9d51-39cacb1b47c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246263&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246263

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:30:06 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:30 UTC

George J. wrote:

> [...]
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

Again THX for setting the record straight again GD...!

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<fe697091-987e-4469-be9d-bfa434fb1287n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246670&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246670

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:13:59 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:13 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 11:05:17 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:

> [...]
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

A seven day extension, like Zod days, it does make me wonder what may change before then.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<911dd9fc-0ea5-4c2e-81d8-eb4d264228c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246685&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246685

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:22:26 -0800 (PST)
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:22 UTC

On Wednesday, January 24, 2024 at 3:30:08 PM UTC-5, Faraway Star wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> > Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo
> Again THX for setting the record straight again GD...!

"Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly..."

Lo7

"because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums."

LOLin' -- won't be seeing you there!

"Is the Usenet Still Alive?" thread
7 months ago
Surprised to see alt.arts.poetry.comments on this list. Yes it remains active, but the regular posters there[1] are for the most part the remnants who triggered the Great Poet Flight to various online (moderated) forum venues 20 years ago.

Some of those troll fights were fun. Some even involved poetry.
~~ rikroots
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36158777

heh, heh, I aim to please...

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<07a8cf2a24c80cfc037e6bf0bae6cc4d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246686&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246686

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:26:01 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:26 UTC

Ash Wurthing wrote:

> [...]
>> > Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data.. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>> >
>> > Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
>> > Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary

> "Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly..."

> Lo7

> "because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums."

That's great news, Ash.

:)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<48bfba28e1c8c718445e3011185be8e4@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246693&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246693

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:23:25 +0000
From: George J...@www.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: George J. Dance - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:23 UTC

Ash Wurthing wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo
>> Again THX for setting the record straight again GD...!

> "Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly..."

> Lo7

> "because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums."

> LOLin' -- won't be seeing you there!

> "Is the Usenet Still Alive?" thread
> 7 months ago
> Surprised to see alt.arts.poetry.comments on this list. Yes it remains active, but the regular posters there[1] are for the most part the remnants who triggered the Great Poet Flight to various online (moderated) forum venues 20 years ago.

> Some of those troll fights were fun. Some even involved poetry.

After 6 years trying to take over aapc, Team Monkey appears to have decided that the grapes are too sour.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<fb0fa738-497e-46ec-b57c-aa102141f78an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246703&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246703

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:51:03 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:51 UTC

On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 11:25:11 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> Ash Wurthing wrote:

> >> Again THX for setting the record straight again GD...!
>
> > "Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly..."
>
> > Lo7
>
> > "because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums."
>
> > LOLin' -- won't be seeing you there!
>
> > "Is the Usenet Still Alive?" thread
> > 7 months ago
> > Surprised to see alt.arts.poetry.comments on this list. Yes it remains active, but the regular posters there[1] are for the most part the remnants who triggered the Great Poet Flight to various online (moderated) forum venues 20 years ago.
>
> > Some of those troll fights were fun. Some even involved poetry.
> > ~~ rikroots
> > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36158777
>
> > heh, heh, I aim to please...
> After 6 years trying to take over aapc, Team Monkey appears to have decided that the grapes are too sour.

Yep, and good Lord, peace at last... ha ha.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Google ending support for Usenet