We're only in it for the volume. -- Black Sabbath

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Google ending support for Usenet

SubjectAuthor
* Google ending support for UsenetGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
|+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetGeneral-Zod
||`- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
|`- Re: Google ending support for UsenetGeneral-Zod
+- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
+- Re: Google ending support for UsenetWill Dockery
+* Re: Google ending support for UsenetW.Dockery

Pages:1234
Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<bbd2bdfaac5b37c8e385459e1be6f45a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246728&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246728

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:31:27 +0000
Subject: Re: Google ending support for Usenet
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:31 UTC

Amazing, but possibly true.

:)

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<4b21df15-f184-4b6d-b31b-ea8cbef07d84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247155&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247155

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:21:59 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:21 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 11:05:17 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:

> [...]
> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>
> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

Yo

Yo keep the record straight.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<06ef8a44f774ec3adfbde5cdd72bf99e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247356&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247356

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:15:04 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:15 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> [...]
>> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.
>>
>> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
>> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

JLA Forums is looking like another good replacement for Google Groups, for posting to the poetry group:

http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=655

And so it goes.

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<5b0c37c6c7769b4279ff422044d5f8df@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247361&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247361

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:08:49 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:08 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]

>>> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
>>> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/LMHjnnjcgjo

>> Yo

>> Yo keep the record straight.

> JLA Forums is looking like another good replacement for Google Groups, for posting to the poetry group:

And... Don't forget the great Nova BBS Express
..

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

Enjoy...!

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<ca9c59a3850be9bd9dbc755cd26dc481@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247463&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247463

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:53:41 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <434bb6c94139a6312b81fcd919dc0d02@news.novabbs.com> <f9b0803d425f4ec0bc60732a324abb54@news.novabbs.com> <2add45a5-51a9-456b-a1b3-3f3e5da112f3n@googlegroups.com> <slrnuoepnn.40d.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <b55b0be3-6140-4e18-893c-5a6ead3b09cfn@googlegroups.com> <8bf8453679cbabe2ad25b94b805c6294@news.novabbs.com> <slrnuommp8.2uq.pjr@nntp.pjross.me> <62e666b8-fff5-4ecc-a5f9-4fb57b981232n@googlegroups.com>
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:53 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 26, 2023 at 6:00:59 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:

>> > Whatever happened, it sure didn't seem to last long.
>> You used to whine endlesslessly about being excluded from it.

> Why do you lie so much, PJR?

> As far as I remember, I never even mentioned it.

> IOW: Post proof or shut the fuck up.

> 😃

>> As far as I can remember after an interval of something like twenty
>> years, my users (who amounted to about ten or a dozen at most) agreed
>> with me that we'd all enjoyed the experience but it wasn't worth
>> continuing with it.
>>
>> RetroGuy's posts in his internal forums suggest that he's beginning to
>> get bored, just as I did. And where will you run to then, Dreckwit?
>>
>> --
>> PJR :-)

Good evening

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<293d8499-cca0-49ad-acbb-178508c3cfecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247499&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247499

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:42:51 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:42 UTC

On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 4:03:12 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:
> On 15/12/2023 16:04, George J. Dance wrote:
> > The big news today on the Google version of aapc is this announcement at
> > the top of the front page: "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups
> > will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will
> > be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.
> > Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it
> > is done today."
> <whinesnip>
>
> Woo hoo!
>
> Woo hoo!!
>
> Woo fucking hoo, with well-polished brass knobs on!!!
>
> Unlike all you pathetic subhuman plagiarists, paedophiles, stalkers,
> bums, drug-addicts and drunkards, who depend on the Internet for
> everything, I received the wonderful news by telephone yesterday, and
> today I'm here to celebrate.
>
> Woo hoo!
>
> Woo hoo!!
>
> Woo fucking hoo, and this is almost as good news as the death of a Dunce
> or a Dreckster!!!
>

> (Note: In case anybody's reading this who isn't a moron, I apologise for
> using Thunderbird for this post, and perhaps a few more posts. I'll be
> setting up slrn and vim as soon as I can, but I'm quite elderly
> nowadays, so it may take me a day or three.)
>
> --
> PJR :-)

And here we are on the final day....!

Re: Google ending support for Usenet

<e697c5124d488bf433eaec6494ee5a98@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248028&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248028

From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:05:16 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:05 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> [...]

> Because Usenet is a distributed system, you do not need to migrate data. All of the Usenet content you can access today on Google Groups should already be synced to the new server you choose. After you select a new client and server, you can reselect the groups you’re interested in.

> Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?
> Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

And almost all of the scum bag trolls are gone.