Have a nice diurnal anomaly.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Booksjdnicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksDorothy J Heydt
> [...]
| |     `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Bookspete...@gmail.com
| `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Bookspyotr filipivich
|  +* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Bookspete...@gmail.com
|  |`* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksDorothy J Heydt
|  | `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Bookspete...@gmail.com
|  `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksDorothy J Heydt
|   `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksTitus G
|    `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksAndrew Love
|     `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksTitus G
|      `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksPaul S Person
+- Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Booksartyw2@yahoo.com
`* Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksMichael Dworetsky
 +- Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksThomas Koenig
 `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying BooksRobert Woodward

Pages:1234
[tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59982&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59982

From: jdnic...@panix.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
Date: 30 Aug 2021 15:12:45 -0000
 by: jdnic...@panix.com - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:12 UTC

Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qynzLM.17EI@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59992&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59992

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:05:46 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:05 UTC

In article <sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>, <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/

Another candidate might be McGuire and Piper's _Revolt in 2140_,
about which I remember very little, except that Literates (with a
capital L) are a privileged minority and the Illiterates are
interested in wiping them out. And their little books, too.

It was published as an Ace Double, the B side of "Cyril Judd"'s
_Gunner Cade_. It had a cover featuring a menacing a menacing
armed man with an armband? flag? something representing a
crossed-out pen and notepad.

I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<sgj7bv$qf6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59993&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59993

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:17:30 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:17 UTC

On 2021-08-30 9:12 a.m., jdnicoll@panix.com wrote:
> Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
> https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/

I remember there was a short story based on naive extrapolation of the
expansion of library book collections so that they threatened to fill
the world.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<ip4ndhFkh84U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59994&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59994

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 30 Aug 2021 18:47:14 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:47 UTC

In article <qynzLM.17EI@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>, <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>

>Another candidate might be McGuire and Piper's _Revolt in 2140_,
>about which I remember very little, except that Literates (with a
>capital L) are a privileged minority and the Illiterates are
>interested in wiping them out. And their little books, too.
>
>It was published as an Ace Double, the B side of "Cyril Judd"'s
>_Gunner Cade_. It had a cover featuring a menacing a menacing
>armed man with an armband? flag? something representing a
>crossed-out pen and notepad.
>
>I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
>to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
>
>http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205

There was a story I read years ago set in a future where all books,
except those carefully hidden, had been destroyed. After the fall
of the anti-book regime, the surviving books were all massively copied
and venerated.

I completely forget the main plot after that, but there was a funny bit
of business between two characters that went something like this:

I mean, really Bob, I think everyone knows on some level
that _Punish Me With Scorpions_ was not hidden in the
floorboards to preserve its pungent philosophical analysis
of the problem on pain in a universe with a caring God, no
matter what they say in public.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<sgjc46$qec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59995&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59995

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 07:38:44 +1200
 by: Titus G - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:38 UTC

On 31/08/21 3:12 am, jdnicoll@panix.com wrote:
> Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
> https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/

Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<0a24389c-66d2-4add-8f30-b25094862da5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59997&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59997

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:37 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:15:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
> to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
>
> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205

If you click on the thumbnail, you do get a larger version of the cover.

But I can't figure out what that gadget with three buttons under his
chin and apparently attached to his helmet might be.

John Savard

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qyo6Ky.4q1@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59998&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59998

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36 UTC

In article <sgjc46$qec$1@dont-email.me>, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>On 31/08/21 3:12 am, jdnicoll@panix.com wrote:
>> Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>
>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>

>Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
>procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
>eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
>every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.

Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<sgjgtv$m0a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59999&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59999

From: morr...@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:00:47 -0500
 by: Jay E. Morris - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 21:00 UTC

On 8/30/2021 3:37 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:15:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
>> to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
>>
>> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205
>
> If you click on the thumbnail, you do get a larger version of the cover.
>
> But I can't figure out what that gadget with three buttons under his
> chin and apparently attached to his helmet might be.
>
> John Savard

It's the future. We'll all be attached to gadgets. Oh, wait....

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<9ckqiglmi501b3k4tpg9sjdqcqmcq77mqb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60001&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60001

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:05:00 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:05 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:05:46 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>, <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>
>Another candidate might be McGuire and Piper's _Revolt in 2140_,
>about which I remember very little, except that Literates (with a
>capital L) are a privileged minority and the Illiterates are
>interested in wiping them out. And their little books, too.
>
>It was published as an Ace Double, the B side of "Cyril Judd"'s
>_Gunner Cade_. It had a cover featuring a menacing a menacing
>armed man with an armband? flag? something representing a
>crossed-out pen and notepad.
>
>I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
>to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
>
>http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205

It's on his helmet. A gray roundel with a white scroll and
superimposed on the scroll a black pen, then superimposed on all of it
a red check mark or V, or something similar.

He's carrying a pip gun and a piece of pipe and has a round object on
his chest with 3 cables running over his shoulder and three
buttons--there's semicircular area above the buttons that looks like
an image of pick-up sticks.

In any case his facial expression could be greatly improved with a
Louisville Slugger.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<92ea6f60-4997-4f51-8eaf-5bad46568491n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60002&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60002

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: j.halpe...@rogers.com (John Halpenny)
 by: John Halpenny - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:11 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 5:00:51 PM UTC-4, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> On 8/30/2021 3:37 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
> > On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:15:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> >
> >> I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
> >> to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
> >>
> >> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205
> >
> > If you click on the thumbnail, you do get a larger version of the cover.
> >
> > But I can't figure out what that gadget with three buttons under his
> > chin and apparently attached to his helmet might be.

Don't some heavy duty scanners in real life cut off the bindings to speed up the process? Of course, you still have a pile of random pages left over.

John

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<gUcXI.36055$Kv2.27204@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60006&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60006

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:24:12 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:24 UTC

djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>In article <sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>, <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>
>Another candidate might be McGuire and Piper's _Revolt in 2140_,
>about which I remember very little, except that Literates (with a
>capital L) are a privileged minority and the Illiterates are
>interested in wiping them out. And their little books, too.
>
>It was published as an Ace Double, the B side of "Cyril Judd"'s
>_Gunner Cade_. It had a cover featuring a menacing a menacing
>armed man with an armband? flag? something representing a
>crossed-out pen and notepad.

_Gunner Cade_ is labeled 'FIRST-GRADE" by the NYT - are
they referring to the prospective audience, or the quality of the
story?

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qyoB1q.12w8@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60007&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60007

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:13:02 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:13 UTC

In article <0a24389c-66d2-4add-8f30-b25094862da5n@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:15:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
>> to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
>>
>> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205
>
>If you click on the thumbnail, you do get a larger version of the cover.

Ah! Thanks.
A >
>But I can't figure out what that gadget with three buttons under his
>chin and apparently attached to his helmet might be.

Me neither. But the pen and paper on his helmet are crossed by a
sort of chevron. (It was 1952; the slashed circle was I don't
know how far into the future then. Wikipeda gives several
hundred examples, but declines to tell me when it came in.)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<dimqig9av6d78ce7q9r7shigcmu3eg4127@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60008&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60008

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:25:58 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:25 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <sgjc46$qec$1@dont-email.me>, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>On 31/08/21 3:12 am, jdnicoll@panix.com wrote:
>>> Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>>
>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>>

>>Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
>>procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
>>eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
>>every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.
>
>Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?

Probably realistic. A commonplace way to store a book electronically
is to clamp it between a couple of pieces of plywood, saw the spine
off, then run the separated pages through a scanner. Of course the
book isn't good for much after that. I guess it could be rebound but
it wouldn't be a very strong binding.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<tlpqig9t9ceqjl49j7d2vtflcs3sv86cfh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60010&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60010

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:19:09 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 23:19 UTC

djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>In article <sgjc46$qec$1@dont-email.me>, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>On 31/08/21 3:12 am, jdnicoll@panix.com wrote:
>>> Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>>
>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>>
>>Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
>>procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
>>eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
>>every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.
>
>Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?

Because they can, essentially. They're scanning the books, but
the easiest way is by shredding them, photographing all the fragments,
and reassembling the image of the page from those fragments.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<93ed72fa-c373-43ce-aca8-1f13083e7a60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60012&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60012

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:31 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 7:19:15 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
> typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
> >>>
> >>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
> >>
> >>Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
> >>procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
> >>eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
> >>every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.
> >
> >Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?
> Because they can, essentially. They're scanning the books, but
> the easiest way is by shredding them, photographing all the fragments,
> and reassembling the image of the page from those fragments.

I honestly think Vinge spent some time coming up with the scanning
method which would maximally offend book lovers.

The book also contains a faction known as The Librarians Militant, who
aren't happy about this.

Remember when the FBI got wound up over "Radical Miilitant LIbrarians"
protecting readers privacy?

https://www.buttonmuseum.org/buttons/radical-militant-librarian

pt

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qyoGzp.22w0@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60013&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60013

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:21:25 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:21 UTC

In article <gUcXI.36055$Kv2.27204@fx47.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>>In article <sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>, <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>>Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
>>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>>
>>Another candidate might be McGuire and Piper's _Revolt in 2140_,
>>about which I remember very little, except that Literates (with a
>>capital L) are a privileged minority and the Illiterates are
>>interested in wiping them out. And their little books, too.
>>
>>It was published as an Ace Double, the B side of "Cyril Judd"'s
>>_Gunner Cade_. It had a cover featuring a menacing a menacing
>>armed man with an armband? flag? something representing a
>>crossed-out pen and notepad.
>
>_Gunner Cade_ is labeled 'FIRST-GRADE" by the NYT - are
>they referring to the prospective audience, or the quality of the
>story?

The latter, in my opinion.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qyoH26.22y8@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60014&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60014

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:22:54 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:22 UTC

In article <dimqig9av6d78ce7q9r7shigcmu3eg4127@4ax.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>Heydt) wrote:

>>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>>>

>>>Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
>>>procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
>>>eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
>>>every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.
>>
>>Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?
>
>Probably realistic. A commonplace way to store a book electronically
>is to clamp it between a couple of pieces of plywood, saw the spine
>off, then run the separated pages through a scanner. Of course the
>book isn't good for much after that. I guess it could be rebound but
>it wouldn't be a very strong binding.

I have several paperback books that have reached that condition
without having been sliced: just read a lot. They can still be
read, and I still read them.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qyoH40.2303@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60015&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60015

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:24:00 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:24 UTC

In article <tlpqig9t9ceqjl49j7d2vtflcs3sv86cfh@4ax.com>,
pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
>typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>>>>
>>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/
>>>
>>>Although not the main theme, Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" details the
>>>procedures whereby every book in a library is destroyed by an
>>>eviscerating machine which photographs every torn piece and reproduces
>>>every book electronically. So, both preserving and destroying.
>>
>>Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?
>
> Because they can, essentially. They're scanning the books, but
>the easiest way is by shredding them, photographing all the fragments,
>and reassembling the image of the page from those fragments.

Which makes no sense. See above about the practice of removing
the pages from the spine and scanning those.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<qyonAy.xCy@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60021&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60021

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:37:46 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:37 UTC

In article <93ed72fa-c373-43ce-aca8-1f13083e7a60n@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 7:19:15 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
>> typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>> >>>

>>>https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-books/

>> >Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?
>> Because they can, essentially. They're scanning the books, but
>> the easiest way is by shredding them, photographing all the fragments,
>> and reassembling the image of the page from those fragments.
>
>I honestly think Vinge spent some time coming up with the scanning
>method which would maximally offend book lovers.
>
>The book also contains a faction known as The Librarians Militant, who
>aren't happy about this.
>
>Remember when the FBI got wound up over "Radical Miilitant LIbrarians"
>protecting readers privacy?
>
>https://www.buttonmuseum.org/buttons/radical-militant-librarian

Nope, that passed straight over my head without even an audible
whoosh.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<627e624a-f31d-4775-b0c7-1de515cbe9ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60022&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60022

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:33:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:33 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 10:50:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <93ed72fa-c373-43ce...@googlegroups.com>,
> pete...@gmail.com <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 7:19:15 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> >> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
> >> typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:

> >> Because they can, essentially. They're scanning the books, but
> >> the easiest way is by shredding them, photographing all the fragments,
> >> and reassembling the image of the page from those fragments.
> >
> >I honestly think Vinge spent some time coming up with the scanning
> >method which would maximally offend book lovers.
> >
> >The book also contains a faction known as The Librarians Militant, who
> >aren't happy about this.
> >
> >Remember when the FBI got wound up over "Radical Miilitant LIbrarians"
> >protecting readers privacy?
> >
> >https://www.buttonmuseum.org/buttons/radical-militant-librarian
> Nope, that passed straight over my head without even an audible
> whoosh.

More details:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/us/nationalspecial3/at-fbi-frustration-over-limits-on-an-antiterror-law.html

pt

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<robertaw-4729B7.22025030082021@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60023&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60023

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:02:50 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 05:02 UTC

In article <qynzLM.17EI@kithrup.com>,
djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> In article <sgishd$md3$1@panix1.panix.com>, <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> >Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books
> >https://www.tor.com/2021/08/30/five-works-about-preserving-or-destroying-book
> >s/
>
> Another candidate might be McGuire and Piper's _Revolt in 2140_,
> about which I remember very little, except that Literates (with a
> capital L) are a privileged minority and the Illiterates are
> interested in wiping them out. And their little books, too.

I will point out that the story takes place in 2142 (past Presidential
election was in 2140, mid-term election coming up). Also, AFAICT, it was
the only Piper story that wasn't reprinted by Ace in the late 70s and
early 80s.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<sgkgj3$oaf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60025&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60025

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:01:04 +1200
 by: Titus G - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 06:01 UTC

On 31/08/21 12:24 pm, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <tlpqig9t9ceqjl49j7d2vtflcs3sv86cfh@4ax.com>,
> pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:36:34 GMT
>> typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:

>>> Does he give any reason why it's necessary to do it that way?
>>
>> Because they can, essentially. They're scanning the books, but
>> the easiest way is by shredding them, photographing all the fragments,
>> and reassembling the image of the page from those fragments.
>
> Which makes no sense. See above about the practice of removing
> the pages from the spine and scanning those.

The specialised machine turns every book into confetti whilst
photographing in high resolution every scrap from every angle. I recall
that speed was important because of cost and secrecy. The machine
operates in the library travelling down aisles sucking books off shelves
so it is incredibly efficient compared to spine removal and scanning.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<sgki2a$vqm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60027&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60027

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:26:17 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 06:26 UTC

On 2021-08-30 2:37 p.m., Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:15:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> I found a thumbnail of both covers, but I can't expand it enough
>> to see what he's got besides weaponry and a scowl.
>>
>> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?16205
>
> If you click on the thumbnail, you do get a larger version of the cover.
>
> But I can't figure out what that gadget with three buttons under his
> chin and apparently attached to his helmet might be.

What it might be is a radio with the cables running into earphones built
into his helmet.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<b331e5ce-28c7-4bfd-9bd6-4d20ccab82c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60029&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60029

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:59 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 4:25:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Me neither. But the pen and paper on his helmet are crossed by a
> sort of chevron. (It was 1952; the slashed circle was I don't
> know how far into the future then. Wikipeda gives several
> hundred examples, but declines to tell me when it came in.)

As it was originally used for traffic signs in Europe, so that people could
drive from one country to another without being unable to obey the
rules of the road expressed in a foreign language, I suspect that the
slashed circle was _not_ in the future, even in 1952.

John Savard

Re: [tor dot com] Five Works About Preserving or Destroying Books

<164b0282-64a0-4b1e-8045-c4e247c6b895n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60030&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60030

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:03:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:03 UTC

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 3:59:34 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 4:25:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> > Me neither. But the pen and paper on his helmet are crossed by a
> > sort of chevron. (It was 1952; the slashed circle was I don't
> > know how far into the future then. Wikipeda gives several
> > hundred examples, but declines to tell me when it came in.)

> As it was originally used for traffic signs in Europe, so that people could
> drive from one country to another without being unable to obey the
> rules of the road expressed in a foreign language, I suspect that the
> slashed circle was _not_ in the future, even in 1952.

I came across one site which said European road signs were governed
by the Vienna Convention, which dated from 1978. However, that let me find
_this_ Wikipedia article,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Signs_and_Signals

which notes that the 1978 agreement was negotiated in 1968, even if it came
into force ten years later, and it was a successor to previous agreements in
1949 and 1931. I will need to look some more to see if the slashed circle dates
from 1949 or 1931.

John Savard