Fats Loves Madelyn.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: New computer

SubjectAuthor
* New computerYosemite Sam
+* Re: New computerComputer Nerd Kev
|`- Re: New computerYosemite Sam
+- Re: New computerYosemite Sam
+* Re: New computerPetzl
|+* Re: New computerRod Speed
||+* Re: New computerkeithr0
|||+* Re: New computerRod Speed
|||+- Re: New computerYosemite Sam
|||`- Re: New computerPetzl
||`* Re: New computerPetzl
|| +* Re: New computerYosemite Sam
|| |`- Re: New computerPetzl
|| `* Re: New computerRod Speed
||  `* Re: New computerPetzl
||   `- Re: New computerRod Speed
|`* Re: New computerYosemite Sam
| `* Re: New computerPetzl
|  `* Re: New computerYosemite Sam
|   `* Re: New computerPetzl
|    `* Re: New computerYosemite Sam
|     `- Re: New computerPetzl
+* Re: New computerRod Speed
|`- Re: New computerYosemite Sam
+- Re: New computerEmily Tibbet
`- Why not buy one with a bit of historykeithr0

Pages:123
Re: New computer

<p4l45ht2ves7tl5roafjmug8c4uujahmer@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2545&group=aus.computers#2545

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: New computer
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:53:35 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:53 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:19:53 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:58:06 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2022 17:11:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Nothing like enough ram.
>>>
>> You can for a higher price upgrade this is the cheapest assembly
>>>
>>> And he wants to build his own, reusing what he can.
>>>
>> Seems what he wishs to reuse is perhaps to outdated
>
>Nope, the hard drive, power supply, video card and case will be fine.

>>> Get stuffed.
>>>
>> Well I were advising "Yosemite Sam", the reviews were good for that
>> model, but not compulsory, as you suggest "Yosemite Sam" may not bbe
>> at all interested.
>
>That was a joke, Joyce.

No offence from me this is usernet
--
Petzl
Stalin has decreed that murder is a capitalist disease; there is no

"Our" government and media decree that this "secular multiculturalism
paradise" does not have immigrant crime and remove anyone stating
different!.

Re: New computer

<op.1kd5j1pzbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2546&group=aus.computers#2546

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:03:27 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 04:03 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:53:35 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:19:53 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:58:06 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You can for a higher price upgrade this is the cheapest assembly

>>> Seems what he wishs to reuse is perhaps to outdated
>>
>> Nope, the hard drive, power supply, video card and case will be fine.

>>> Well I were advising "Yosemite Sam", the reviews were good for that
>>> model, but not compulsory, as you suggest "Yosemite Sam" may not bbe
>>> at all interested.
>>
>> That was a joke, Joyce.
>>
> No offence from me this is usernet

That's why I can burst into tears when you don't
get my jokes and you can't even notice, Joyce.

Re: New computer

<qjl45hdik04ff76ecgtr7uvc968oo19d09@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2547&group=aus.computers#2547

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:16:14 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 04:16 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:23:08 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:06:41 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:47:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote

>>> Depends on how you use it.
>>>
>> Times have changed
>
>Yep, 64 big OSs can use the extra ram fine.

not noticed a difference both my touchscreen HP's are 64 bit 1 is 8
gig Intel I5 8 gilg the other Intel I8 16 gig no difference

Often used for converting video formats to what my TV will show

>> don't see gigs being that important any more.
>
>That's bullshit depending on what you do with the PC.

converting video formats to what my TV will show
Always has been slow

>> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?
>
>Better to do both depending on how you use it, but he doesnt say how he
>does.

The configuration from HP for AU$900 is adequate, "upgrading" just a
waste of money, I have a Intel I5 8 gig & Intel I8 16 gig both 64 bit
no difference in speed
--
Petzl

The entire Parliament was sacked,for treason under Whitlam
Constitutionally Parties are not recognised. So when a Government was
found to be removing ties to USA and Britain's orbit moving towards
that of the Communist and Third World powers, with strong support for
the "Arab lobby", Britain and USA would of found that treachery.

Arab financiers offered lower interest rates on governmental loans
than US banks/financiers. The Middle East at the time was awash with
"petro-dollars", as the price of oil quadrupled between 1973 and 1974.
Whitlam allowed Saudi Arabs to build a Mosque in Sydney/Lakemba.
Whitlam was a immoral communist working to remove ties to USA and
Britain's orbit moving towards that of the Communist and Third World
powers, with strong support for the "Arab lobby".
https://is.gd/IzhkxL

Whitlam did not want anti-communists to settle in Australia,
irrespective of whether they were genuine asylum seekers. Here his
stance differed from the position he took following the overthrow of
Salvador Allende's left-wing government in Chile in 1973.

Whitlam said on the ABC that Australia did not want “another
­reactionary right-wing minority”. Foreign minister Don Willesee
pleaded with him to take more. Whitlam replied: “I’m not having those
f..king Vietnamese Balts coming into this country with their religious
and political prejudices against us.”

Whitlam opposed the entry of Vietnamese refugees, saying they stirred
no sympathy in him. He added: “There will be some resentment about the
people coming to Australia at a time of unemployment, and also people
from a very different way of life.”

In other words, Whitlam consciously stirred up ethnic and racial
prejudice against Vietnamese ­because he thought they might be
politically hostile to Labor.

Re: New computer

<jbf4f1Ff3e0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2548&group=aus.computers#2548

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:24:23 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 04:24 UTC

hmmm...

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: New computer

<op.1kd89rvjbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2549&group=aus.computers#2549

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:23:41 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 05:23 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:16:14 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:23:08 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:06:41 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Times have changed
>>
>> Yep, 64 big OSs can use the extra ram fine.
>>
> not noticed a difference both my touchscreen HP's are 64 bit 1 is 8
> gig Intel I5 8 gilg the other Intel I8 16 gig no difference

> Often used for converting video formats to what my TV will show

You must be asleep if there is no difference between those two doing that.

And it would make sense to get a better TV than converting all the time.

>>> don't see gigs being that important any more.
>>
>> That's bullshit depending on what you do with the PC.
>>
> converting video formats to what my TV will show
> Always has been slow

Yes, that is more demanding, but you must be doing
something very wrong if the i7 doesnt do anything better
than the i5. What are you using to do the conversion ?

And it is having lots of big stuff open all the time and
not stupidly shutting stuff down that benefits having
more than 8GB of ram.

>>> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?
>>
>> Better to do both depending on how you use it, but he doesnt say how he
>> does.

> The configuration from HP for AU$900 is adequate,

Not if it has always been slow and there
is no difference between the i5 and the i7.

The i7 must be fucked or what you are using to do the conversion is.

> "upgrading" just a waste of money,

Not if you do it properly when doing one
of the more demanding tasks done on PCs.

> I have a Intel I5 8 gig & Intel I8 16 gig both 64 bit
> no difference in speed

Then what you are using to do the conversion is fucked.

Re: New computer

<6k655h5j8e09odaucu9g8jm24fsvki2en8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2550&group=aus.computers#2550

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 18:56:38 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:56 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:23:41 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:16:14 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:23:08 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yep, 64 big OSs can use the extra ram fine.
>>>
>> not noticed a difference both my touchscreen HP's are 64 bit 1 is 8
>> gig Intel I5 8 gilg the other Intel I8 16 gig no difference
>
>> Often used for converting video formats to what my TV will show
>
>You must be asleep if there is no difference between those two doing that.
>
>And it would make sense to get a better TV than converting all the time.

>>> That's bullshit depending on what you do with the PC.
>>>
>> converting video formats to what my TV will show
>> Always has been slow
>
>Yes, that is more demanding, but you must be doing
>something very wrong if the i7 doesnt do anything better
>than the i5. What are you using to do the conversion ?
>
>And it is having lots of big stuff open all the time and
>not stupidly shutting stuff down that benefits having
>more than 8GB of ram.

>>> Better to do both depending on how you use it, but he doesnt say how he
>>> does.
>
>> The configuration from HP for AU$900 is adequate,
>
>Not if it has always been slow and there
>is no difference between the i5 and the i7.
>
>The i7 must be fucked or what you are using to do the conversion is.
>
>> "upgrading" just a waste of money,
>
>Not if you do it properly when doing one
>of the more demanding tasks done on PCs.
>
>> I have a Intel I5 8 gig & Intel I8 16 gig both 64 bit
>> no difference in speed
>
>Then what you are using to do the conversion is fucked.

Using "Audials 2021" no differnt than 2018 upgrade is a scam,
I often use this for screen capture which works ok
My main TV plays most formats but not all.
--
Petzl
"When you let people into your country that hate everything about you and your heritage,

Re: New computer

<op.1kekvomxbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2551&group=aus.computers#2551

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:34:26 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:34 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 18:56:38 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:23:41 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:16:14 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> not noticed a difference both my touchscreen HP's are 64 bit 1 is 8
>>> gig Intel I5 8 gilg the other Intel I8 16 gig no difference
>>
>>> Often used for converting video formats to what my TV will show
>>
>> You must be asleep if there is no difference between those two doing
>> that.
>>
>> And it would make sense to get a better TV than converting all the time.

>>> converting video formats to what my TV will show
>>> Always has been slow
>>
>> Yes, that is more demanding, but you must be doing
>> something very wrong if the i7 doesnt do anything better
>> than the i5. What are you using to do the conversion ?
>>
>> And it is having lots of big stuff open all the time and
>> not stupidly shutting stuff down that benefits having
>> more than 8GB of ram.

>>> The configuration from HP for AU$900 is adequate,
>>
>> Not if it has always been slow and there
>> is no difference between the i5 and the i7.
>>
>> The i7 must be fucked or what you are using to do the conversion is.
>>
>>> "upgrading" just a waste of money,
>>
>> Not if you do it properly when doing one
>> of the more demanding tasks done on PCs.
>>
>>> I have a Intel I5 8 gig & Intel I8 16 gig both 64 bit
>>> no difference in speed
>>
>> Then what you are using to do the conversion is fucked.

> Using "Audials 2021"

Its a steaming turd if there is no difference between an i7 and an i5

> no differnt than 2018 upgrade is a scam,
> I often use this for screen capture which works ok
> My main TV plays most formats but not all.

Re: New computer

<ahd55htoenhj7ovml6p0gdlm4ppb7b4qls@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2552&group=aus.computers#2552

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:51:50 +1000
References: <jbc5pnFsg5fU1@mid.individual.net> <pfs15hlo9srqm2r5u1j2v8ovlhu2jjmo3j@4ax.com> <op.1kcjlar5byq249@pvr2.lan> <jbdb49F4lo5U1@mid.individual.net> <op.1kdc18kwbyq249@pvr2.lan> <ro745h51c4fae21pnqrqkh19josqh30k6j@4ax.com> <op.1kd0wuwrbyq249@pvr2.lan> <qjl45hdik04ff76ecgtr7uvc968oo19d09@4ax.com> <op.1kd89rvjbyq249@pvr2.lan> <6k655h5j8e09odaucu9g8jm24fsvki2en8@4ax.com> <op.1kekvomxbyq249@pvr2.lan>
 by: Petzl - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:51 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:34:26 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 18:56:38 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:23:41 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You must be asleep if there is no difference between those two doing
>>> that.
>>>
>>> And it would make sense to get a better TV than converting all the time.

>>> Yes, that is more demanding, but you must be doing
>>> something very wrong if the i7 doesnt do anything better
>>> than the i5. What are you using to do the conversion ?
>>>
>>> And it is having lots of big stuff open all the time and
>>> not stupidly shutting stuff down that benefits having
>>> more than 8GB of ram.

>>> Not if it has always been slow and there
>>> is no difference between the i5 and the i7.
>>>
>>> The i7 must be fucked or what you are using to do the conversion is.

>>> Not if you do it properly when doing one
>>> of the more demanding tasks done on PCs.

>>> Then what you are using to do the conversion is fucked.
>
>> Using "Audials 2021"
>
>Its a steaming turd if there is no difference between an i7 and an i5

Not impressed with it but it works, put my dvd's onto usb hard drive
quality is good
i5 and i7 handle it equally

>> no differnt than 2018 upgrade is a scam,
>> I often use this for screen capture which works ok
>> My main TV plays most formats but not all.
--
Petzl
"When you let people into your country that hate everything about you and your heritage,
there's a good chance they will kill you."

Re: New computer

<jbhdm3FshfvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2553&group=aus.computers#2553

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:13:36 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 01:13 UTC

On 10/4/2022 10:06 am, Petzl wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:47:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> 8 gigs is plenty for most people.
>>
>> Depends on how you use it.
>>
> Times have changed don't see gigs being that important any more.
> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?

Faster processor, faster RAM and faster storage (SSD, M2 or NVME) and
you have a faster beast. I use more than 8 Gig of RAM because I run
virtual machines. Virtual machines can really suck up the processor
power and fill up RAM to overflowing. 16 Gig would be *my* minimum and
my Mac Pro has 32 Gig and my Mac mini has 8 Gig. 8 Gig simply isn't
enough. YMMV.

Best to try faster RAM and a SSD first. No point having a faster
processor if your RAM or HDD is the bottleneck. A new motherboard,
carefully chosen, can get you faster peripheral interfaces like 6Gbps
SATA HDDs/SSDs, NVME, USB 3.x, USB-C and Thunderbolt and, most
importantly, the latest RAM types and speeds. Note too that a
motherboard can be a bottleneck for a faster CPU as well. No point
buying a nice new 6Gbps SATA SSD if you don't have 6Gbps SATA ports on
the motherboard. Some new motherboards have spots for NVME drives built
in. A fast interface right where it is needed - on the motherboard.

As an example, my nephew is wanting to build his own computer for gaming
with his friends. Here is his parts pick thus far;

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $314.00
MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $148.77
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $105.00
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $123.77
ASRock Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Challenger D Video Card $479.00
NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case $109.00
MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99

Whilst I'm not a fan of AMD CPUs, the gamers seem to love them. The
above components seem to work well as a budget gaming computer according
to reviews. You'll note he's opted for 16 GB (2 x 8) of DDR4 RAM from
the get go. That still leaves him with the ability to later upgrade to
32 GB RAM by adding two more sticks. We have had discussions about
features, and restrictions, he needs to be aware of and has now slightly
modified his pick and selected an appropriate monitor as well. Of course
he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
into what fits his needs is his current focus.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: New computer

<a8175hpti1s9151unu7a54rbtfu0gl1k3q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2554&group=aus.computers#2554

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:42:25 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 01:42 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:13:36 +1000, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>On 10/4/2022 10:06 am, Petzl wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:47:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote

>>> Depends on how you use it.
>>>
>> Times have changed don't see gigs being that important any more.
>> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?
>
>Faster processor, faster RAM and faster storage (SSD, M2 or NVME) and
>you have a faster beast. I use more than 8 Gig of RAM because I run
>virtual machines. Virtual machines can really suck up the processor
>power and fill up RAM to overflowing. 16 Gig would be *my* minimum and
>my Mac Pro has 32 Gig and my Mac mini has 8 Gig. 8 Gig simply isn't
>enough. YMMV.
>
>Best to try faster RAM and a SSD first. No point having a faster
>processor if your RAM or HDD is the bottleneck. A new motherboard,
>carefully chosen, can get you faster peripheral interfaces like 6Gbps
>SATA HDDs/SSDs, NVME, USB 3.x, USB-C and Thunderbolt and, most
>importantly, the latest RAM types and speeds. Note too that a
>motherboard can be a bottleneck for a faster CPU as well. No point
>buying a nice new 6Gbps SATA SSD if you don't have 6Gbps SATA ports on
>the motherboard. Some new motherboards have spots for NVME drives built
>in. A fast interface right where it is needed - on the motherboard.
>
>As an example, my nephew is wanting to build his own computer for gaming
>with his friends. Here is his parts pick thus far;
>
>AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $314.00
>MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $148.77
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $105.00
>Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $123.77
>ASRock Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Challenger D Video Card $479.00
>NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case $109.00
>MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99
>
>Whilst I'm not a fan of AMD CPUs, the gamers seem to love them. The
>above components seem to work well as a budget gaming computer according
>to reviews. You'll note he's opted for 16 GB (2 x 8) of DDR4 RAM from
>the get go. That still leaves him with the ability to later upgrade to
>32 GB RAM by adding two more sticks. We have had discussions about
>features, and restrictions, he needs to be aware of and has now slightly
>modified his pick and selected an appropriate monitor as well. Of course
>he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>into what fits his needs is his current focus.

For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonder how much faster RAM is to
SSD speed?

The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
one with same specs?
Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
hard drives are much faster now!

The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00

https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900
--
Petzl
ALWAYS Vote oligarchies Coalition, Labor, "Greens"

Re: New computer

<gg275hp1fg4iddp8310vn4nde6in70ei1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2555&group=aus.computers#2555

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:04:25 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 02:04 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:42:25 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>32 GB RAM by adding two more sticks. We have had discussions about
>>features, and restrictions, he needs to be aware of and has now slightly
>>modified his pick and selected an appropriate monitor as well. Of course
>>he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>>into what fits his needs is his current focus.
>>
>For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
>SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonder how much faster RAM is to
>SSD speed?
>
>The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
>one with same specs?
>Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
>hard drives are much faster now!
>
>The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>
>https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900

I did add upp the cost of nephew building his own without monitor it
comes to $1,379
Maxinised every option on HP Touchscreen comes to $1,574

Weekly Deals
Enjoy great savings on select products. Plus, get FREE shipping
storewide.
Expert Sales Help: 1-866-625-3906ORDER STATUSCUSTOMER SERVICEMY HP
REWARDSSIGN IN/REGISTER
Skip to Footer
Explore
Shop
Support
What are you looking for?

CONFIGURE YOUR
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-d0255xt
SHIPS ON 05/31/2022
1,673.99
SAVE
$100.00
$1,573.99
OPERATING SYSTEM
Choose the right OS for your work style.

Windows 11 Home
Included
In Price

PROCESSOR
A faster processor means more efficient operation.

Intel® Core™ i5-10400T (2.0 GHz up to 3.6 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 6
cores)
- $200.00

Intel® Core™ i7-10700T (2.0 GHz up to 4.5 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8
cores)
Included
In Price

COLOR
White with 5 MP privacy camera with integrated quad array digital
microphone
- $10.00

White with 5 MP IR privacy camera with integrated quad array digital
microphone
Included
In Price

DISPLAY
68.6 cm (27") diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, three-sided
micro-edge, anti-glare, 350 nits, 72% NTSC
Included
In Price

MEMORY
Do more, faster with added memory.

8 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
- $160.00

16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Included
In Price

WARRANTY AND SERVICES
Service and support from HP product experts.

HP 2 year Protection Plan
310.99
$248.79

HP 2 year w/Accidental Damage
337.99
$270.39

HP 3 year Protection Plan
337.99
$270.39
TECH SUPPORT
Get real tech help from real tech experts — anytime, anywhere.

HP 6 month SmartFriend Service
69.99
$55.99

HP 1 year SmartFriend Service
119.99
$95.99
INTEL® OPTANE™ MEMORY
Enjoy faster response times and a smooth computing experience. More
info.

No Optane
Included
In Price

16 GB NVMe™ Intel® Optane™ Memory for storage acceleration
+ $29.00

STORAGE
Pick the right amount of storage for your needs.

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
- $180.00

128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
- $180.00

2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
- $140.00

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
- $140.00

256 GB Intel® SSD + 16 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
- $140.00

512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
- $100.00

512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
- $100.00

1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
+ $0.00

1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
Included
In Price

SECONDARY STORAGE
More storage. More space. More ways to save.

No HDD
- $89.00

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
- $40.00

2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
Included
In Price

GRAPHICS CARD
Improve image clarity, motion and color brilliance.

NVIDIA® GeForce® MX 350 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Included
In Price

POWER SUPPLY
Additional power enables upgrading of components such as processors,
graphics etc.

150 W Smart AC power adapter
Included
In Price

NETWORKING
Connect to a wireless service on the go. Internet access sold
separately.

Realtek 802.11b/g/n/a/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo, MU-MIMO
supported
- $15.00

Click here to read the complete article
Re: New computer

<sd475htaofsm490qh98t5hf6d7b4rrvdma@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2556&group=aus.computers#2556

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:27:47 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 02:27 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:04:25 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>>>into what fits his needs is his current focus.
>>>
>>For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
>>SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonder how much faster RAM is to
>>SSD speed?
>>
>>The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
>>one with same specs?
>>Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
>>hard drives are much faster now!
>>
>>The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>>1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>>with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900
>
>I did add upp the cost of nephew building his own without monitor it
>comes to $1,379
>Maxinised every option on HP Touchscreen comes to $1,603

3rd time lucky
Windows 11 Home
Intel® Core™ i7-10700T (2.0 GHz up to 4.5 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8
cores)
White with 5 MP IR privacy camera with integrated quad array digital
microphone
68.6 cm (27") diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, three-sided
micro-edge, anti-glare, 350 nits, 72% NTSC
16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
16 GB NVMe™ Intel® Optane™ Memory for storage acceleration
1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX 350 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
150 W Smart AC power adapter
Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, MU-MIMO supported
No Additional Office Software
McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
USB white wireless keyboard and mouse combo
--
Petzl
If voting made any difference,

Re: New computer

<jbhmk4Fu34tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2557&group=aus.computers#2557

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:46:10 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:46 UTC

On 11/4/2022 11:42 am, Petzl wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:13:36 +1000, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/4/2022 10:06 am, Petzl wrote:

>>> Times have changed don't see gigs being that important any more.
>>> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?
>>
>> Faster processor, faster RAM and faster storage (SSD, M2 or NVME) and
>> you have a faster beast. I use more than 8 Gig of RAM because I run
>> virtual machines. Virtual machines can really suck up the processor
>> power and fill up RAM to overflowing. 16 Gig would be *my* minimum and
>> my Mac Pro has 32 Gig and my Mac mini has 8 Gig. 8 Gig simply isn't
>> enough. YMMV.
>>
>> Best to try faster RAM and a SSD first. No point having a faster
>> processor if your RAM or HDD is the bottleneck. A new motherboard,
>> carefully chosen, can get you faster peripheral interfaces like 6Gbps
>> SATA HDDs/SSDs, NVME, USB 3.x, USB-C and Thunderbolt and, most
>> importantly, the latest RAM types and speeds. Note too that a
>> motherboard can be a bottleneck for a faster CPU as well. No point
>> buying a nice new 6Gbps SATA SSD if you don't have 6Gbps SATA ports on
>> the motherboard. Some new motherboards have spots for NVME drives built
>> in. A fast interface right where it is needed - on the motherboard.
>>
>> As an example, my nephew is wanting to build his own computer for gaming
>> with his friends. Here is his parts pick thus far;
>>
>> AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $314.00
>> MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $148.77
>> Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $105.00
>> Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $123.77
>> ASRock Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Challenger D Video Card $479.00
>> NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case $109.00
>> MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99
>>
>> Whilst I'm not a fan of AMD CPUs, the gamers seem to love them. The
>> above components seem to work well as a budget gaming computer according
>> to reviews. You'll note he's opted for 16 GB (2 x 8) of DDR4 RAM from
>> the get go. That still leaves him with the ability to later upgrade to
>> 32 GB RAM by adding two more sticks. We have had discussions about
>> features, and restrictions, he needs to be aware of and has now slightly
>> modified his pick and selected an appropriate monitor as well. Of course
>> he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>> into what fits his needs is his current focus.
>>
> For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
> SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonder how much faster RAM is to
> SSD speed?

Cannot compare the two - apples and oranges.

> The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
> one with same specs?

The cost is not the major consideration in my nephew's case. He wants to
build one because he wants to learn about computers as well - like his
uncle. ;-)

> Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
> hard drives are much faster now!

Hard drives (with mechanical platters) are the slowest part of the
system due to the *interface*. Plus HDDs have a seek time, SSDs do not.

> The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900

I am soon to put a 1TB SSD into my Mac Mini. Have the tools, have the
SSD, just need to time to sit down and install it.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: New computer

<jbhmpiFu43bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2558&group=aus.computers#2558

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:49:04 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:49 UTC

On 11/4/2022 12:04 pm, Petzl wrote:
> [...]
>>> he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>>> into what fits his needs is his current focus.
>>>
>> For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
>> SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonder how much faster RAM is to
>> SSD speed?
>>
>> The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
>> one with same specs?
>> Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
>> hard drives are much faster now!
>>
>> The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900
>
> I did add upp the cost of nephew building his own without monitor it
> comes to $1,379
> Maxinised every option on HP Touchscreen comes to $1,574

My nephew does not want an all in one. He wants a customisable desktop
that he can further customise down the track as he amasses more cash. An
all in one prevents him doing that.

> [...]
> Included
> In Price
>
> SPECS
> Windows 11 Home
> Intel® Core™ i7-10700T (2.0 GHz up to 4.5 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8
> cores)
> White with 5 MP IR privacy camera with integrated quad array digital
> microphone
> 68.6 cm (27") diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, three-sided
> micro-edge, anti-glare, 350 nits, 72% NTSC
> 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
> No Optane
> 1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
> 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
> NVIDIA® GeForce® MX 350 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
> 150 W Smart AC power adapter
> Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, MU-MIMO supported
> No Additional Office Software
> McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
> USB white wireless keyboard and mouse combo

<c5c75h9eqluiagfkni1a83is88h8gkungq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2559&group=aus.computers#2559

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:48:28 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 04:48 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:46:10 +1000, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>Cannot compare the two - apples and oranges.
>>
>> The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
>> one with same specs?
>
>The cost is not the major consideration in my nephew's case. He wants to
>build one because he wants to learn about computers as well - like his
>uncle. ;-)
>
>> Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
>> hard drives are much faster now!
>
>Hard drives (with mechanical platters) are the slowest part of the
>system due to the *interface*. Plus HDDs have a seek time, SSDs do not.
>>
>> The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900
>
>I am soon to put a 1TB SSD into my Mac Mini. Have the tools, have the
>SSD, just need to time to sit down and install it.

Good luck to you, gave up making my PC's tears ago technology changes
faster than I can pay for it.

Not sure about Mac's TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
Makes the SSD even faster for a PC (Optane™ memory)
<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/memory-storage/optane-memory.html>
https://tinyurl.com/ykxyykn9
--
Petzl
If voting made any difference,
They wouldn't let us do it- Mark Twain

Re: New computer

<op.1kf3nfx0byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2560&group=aus.computers#2560

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:17:29 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 05:17 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Petzl wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Times have changed don't see gigs being that important any more.
>>> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?
>>
>> Faster processor, faster RAM and faster storage (SSD, M2 or NVME) and
>> you have a faster beast. I use more than 8 Gig of RAM because I run
>> virtual machines. Virtual machines can really suck up the processor
>> power and fill up RAM to overflowing. 16 Gig would be *my* minimum and
>> my Mac Pro has 32 Gig and my Mac mini has 8 Gig. 8 Gig simply isn't
>> enough. YMMV.
>>
>> Best to try faster RAM and a SSD first. No point having a faster
>> processor if your RAM or HDD is the bottleneck. A new motherboard,
>> carefully chosen, can get you faster peripheral interfaces like 6Gbps
>> SATA HDDs/SSDs, NVME, USB 3.x, USB-C and Thunderbolt and, most
>> importantly, the latest RAM types and speeds. Note too that a
>> motherboard can be a bottleneck for a faster CPU as well. No point
>> buying a nice new 6Gbps SATA SSD if you don't have 6Gbps SATA ports on
>> the motherboard. Some new motherboards have spots for NVME drives built
>> in. A fast interface right where it is needed - on the motherboard.
>>
>> As an example, my nephew is wanting to build his own computer for gaming
>> with his friends. Here is his parts pick thus far;
>>
>> AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $314.00
>> MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $148.77
>> Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $105.00
>> Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $123.77
>> ASRock Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Challenger D Video Card $479.00
>> NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case $109.00
>> MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99
>>
>> Whilst I'm not a fan of AMD CPUs, the gamers seem to love them. The
>> above components seem to work well as a budget gaming computer according
>> to reviews. You'll note he's opted for 16 GB (2 x 8) of DDR4 RAM from
>> the get go. That still leaves him with the ability to later upgrade to
>> 32 GB RAM by adding two more sticks. We have had discussions about
>> features, and restrictions, he needs to be aware of and has now slightly
>> modified his pick and selected an appropriate monitor as well. Of course
>> he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>> into what fits his needs is his current focus.

> For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.

Nothing unique about the situations where more than
8GB if ram is useful and there is no maybe about those.

Nothing unique about only rebooting when you need
to for updates and leaving major apps open all the time
for an instant switch to them when you need to do that.

> SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonderhow much faster RAM is to
> SSD speed?

Vastly and there is also the other factor that there
is no need to swap at all if you have enough ram.

> The other thing is what it will cost to build acomputer verses buying
> one with same specs?

Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
you want without having to compromise on any item.

> Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive tosuplement RAM and
> hard drives are much faster now!

But still nothing like as fast as the best ram
quite apart from the fact that no swap is ever
needed if you have enough ram, so that is
always 0 compared with something time wise.

> The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00

Still better to spend that on more ram unless you
only do quite minor stuff and are stupid enough to
close apps when you stop using the particular app.

> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900

Re: New computer

<7le75htg4isvnqqgebas9bafr1o4k2lufi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2561&group=aus.computers#2561

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:26:14 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 05:26 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:49:04 +1000, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>>> The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>>> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>>> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900
>>
>> I did add upp the cost of nephew building his own without monitor it
>> comes to $1,379
>> Maxinised every option on HP Touchscreen comes to $1,574
>
>My nephew does not want an all in one. He wants a customisable desktop
>that he can further customise down the track as he amasses more cash. An
>all in one prevents him doing that.

Agree "all in ones" hard to upgrade if not impossible.
Still cheaper (or has been) to buy the latest computer.
The speed, performance that computers are increasing at, means
obsoletion is maybe 6 months from today?
--
Petzl
If voting made any difference,
They wouldn't let us do it- Mark Twain

Re: New computer

<g0l75h1hkb12ver1q7rbqnsi0l3d61nlsn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2562&group=aus.computers#2562

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:21:22 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 07:21 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:17:29 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> [...]

>Nothing unique about only rebooting when you need
>to for updates and leaving major apps open all the time
>for an instant switch to them when you need to do that.
>
>> SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonderhow much faster RAM is to
>> SSD speed?
>
>Vastly and there is also the other factor that there
>is no need to swap at all if you have enough ram.
>
>> The other thing is what it will cost to build acomputer verses buying
>> one with same specs?
>
>Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
>you want without having to compromise on any item.
>
>> Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive tosuplement RAM and
>> hard drives are much faster now!
>
>But still nothing like as fast as the best ram
>quite apart from the fact that no swap is ever
>needed if you have enough ram, so that is
>always 0 compared with something time wise.

Although RAM is faster, I doubt if speed is noticeable over a SSD
drive with "Intel® Optane™ Memory - Responsive Memory, Accelerated
Performance"
<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/memory-storage/optane-memory.html>
https://tinyurl.com/ykxyykn9

>> The HP Touch screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>
>Still better to spend that on more ram unless you
>only do quite minor stuff and are stupid enough to
>close apps when you stop using the particular app.

Doing away with mechanical drives makes a PC much faster.
Life expectancy is five years. Yes RAM does have a slight edge but is
16 GB better than 8 GB?

>> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900
--
Petzl
If a nation valves anything more than freedom,
it will lose its freedom, and the irony of it is
that if it is comfort or money that it valves more,
it will lose that too.
W. Somerset Mavgham, English writer

Re: New computer

<t30p2p$1q7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2563&group=aus.computers#2563

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:32:22 +1000
 by: Max - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:32 UTC

On 11/04/2022 3:17 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
> you want without having to compromise on any item.

But then you don't get things like built in speakers and web-cam.

Re: New computer

<jbi7vrF2nctU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2564&group=aus.computers#2564

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:42:34 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:42 UTC

On 11/4/2022 6:32 pm, Max wrote:
> On 11/04/2022 3:17 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
>> you want without having to compromise on any item.
>
> But then you don't get things like built in speakers and web-cam.

If you want that shit then buy a laptop where *everything* is built in.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: New computer

<op.1kgf41oubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2565&group=aus.computers#2565

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:47:15 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:47 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>> For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
>>
>> Nothing unique about the situations where more than
>> 8GB if ram is useful and there is no maybe about those.
>>
>> Nothing unique about only rebooting when you need
>> to for updates and leaving major apps open all the time
>> for an instant switch to them when you need to do that.
>>
>>> SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonderhow much faster RAM is to
>>> SSD speed?
>>
>> Vastly and there is also the other factor that there
>> is no need to swap at all if you have enough ram.
>>
>>> The other thing is what it will cost to build acomputer verses buying
>>> one with same specs?
>>
>> Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
>> you want without having to compromise on any item.
>>
>>> Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive tosuplement RAM and
>>> hard drives are much faster now!
>>
>> But still nothing like as fast as the best ram
>> quite apart from the fact that no swap is ever
>> needed if you have enough ram, so that is
>> always 0 compared with something time wise.
>>
> Although RAM is faster, I doubt if speed is noticeable over a SSD
> drive with "Intel® Optane™ Memory - Responsive Memory, Accelerated
> Performance"
> <https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/memory-storage/optane-memory.html>
> https://tinyurl.com/ykxyykn9

You'd be wrong about that, essentially because the
speed of switching apps is 0 with enough ram and
can never be 0 with any SSD.

>>> The HP Touch screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>>> 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>>
>> Still better to spend that on more ram unless you
>> only do quite minor stuff and are stupid enough to
>> close apps when you stop using the particular app.

> Doing away with mechanical drives makes a PC much faster.

Irrelevant to the fact that enough ram is much faster again.

> Life expectancy is five years.

Life expectency is until you choose to upgrade with ram.

> Yes RAM does have a slight edge

It is in fact much more than a slight edge.

> but is 16 GB better than 8 GB?

Depends on what you do with the PC.

>>> https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>>> with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900

Re: New computer

<op.1kgf82v7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2566&group=aus.computers#2566

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:49:40 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:49 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
>> you want without having to compromise on any item.

> But then you don't get things like built in speakers and web-cam.

You can have those if you want them and that doesnt necessarily cost
anything with the speakers and costs peanuts with the web cam.

Personally I prefer much better speakers than you get with an all in 1.

Re: New computer

<op.1kggbxdhbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2567&group=aus.computers#2567

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:51:23 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:51 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Max wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Almost always cheaper to build and you get exactly what
>>> you want without having to compromise on any item.

>> But then you don't get things like built in speakers and web-cam.

> If you want that shit then buy a laptop where *everything* is built in.

No thanks, I prefer a PC with much better speakers.

Re: New computer

<jbicn0F3jrsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2568&group=aus.computers#2568

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:03:11 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:03 UTC

On 11/4/2022 7:51 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Max wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>>  But then you don't get things like built in speakers and web-cam.
>
>> If you want that shit then buy a laptop where *everything* is built in.
>
> No thanks, I prefer a PC with much better speakers.

Ditto. My laptop has built ins, my PCs have external speakers as and
when required.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: New computer

<t31oe7.sj4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2569&group=aus.computers#2569

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 11 Apr 2022 15:27:44 GMT
References: <jbc5pnFsg5fU1@mid.individual.net> <pfs15hlo9srqm2r5u1j2v8ovlhu2jjmo3j@4ax.com> <op.1kcjlar5byq249@pvr2.lan> <jbdb49F4lo5U1@mid.individual.net> <op.1kdc18kwbyq249@pvr2.lan> <ro745h51c4fae21pnqrqkh19josqh30k6j@4ax.com> <jbhdm3FshfvU1@mid.individual.net> <a8175hpti1s9151unu7a54rbtfu0gl1k3q@4ax.com> <op.1kf3nfx0byq249@pvr2.lan> <t30p2p$1q7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jbi7vrF2nctU1@mid.individual.net> <op.1kggbxdhbyq249@pvr2.lan> <jbicn0F3jrsU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:27 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On 11/4/2022 7:51 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> > Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> >> Max wrote

> >> If you want that shit then buy a laptop where *everything* is built in.
> >
> > No thanks, I prefer a PC with much better speakers.
>
> Ditto. My laptop has built ins, my PCs have external speakers as and
> when required.

If/when I want/need good quality sound, I connect my laptop via
Bluetooth to my soundbar/woofer combination.