Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. -- Wittgenstein

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: Afghanistan

SubjectAuthor
* OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
+* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|`* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
| +- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
| `* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  +* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  |+* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  ||+* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  |||+* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  ||||`* Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
|  |||| +- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  |||| `- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  |||`- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  ||`* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  || `- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  |`* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  | +- Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
|  | +* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  | |`- Re: OT: Afghanistanjonz
|  | `* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  |  `* Re: OT: Afghanistanlindsay
|  |   +* Re: OT: AfghanistanJames Last plays in Miami
|  |   |`* Re: OT: Afghanistanlindsay
|  |   | `- Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  |   +- Re: OT: AfghanistanDaryl
|  |   `- Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  +* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  |+* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  ||+* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  |||`- Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  ||+* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  |||`* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  ||| +* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  ||| |+* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  ||| ||`- Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
|  ||| |+- Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
|  ||| |`- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  ||| +* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  ||| |+* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  ||| ||`- Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|  ||| |`- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  ||| `- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  ||`* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  || +* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  || |`- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  || +* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  || |`- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  || `* Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
|  ||  `- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  |+* Re: OT: AfghanistanJohn_H
|  ||+- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  ||+* Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
|  |||`- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  ||`* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  || `* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  ||  `* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  ||   `- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  |`* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  | +* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  | |`* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  | | +* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|  | | |`* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|  | | | `- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  | | `* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  | |  `- Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  | `- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
|  `* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
|   `- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
+* Re: OT: AfghanistanJohn_H
|`- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
+* Re: OT: AfghanistanJames Last plays in Miami
|`* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
| `* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|  `* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|   +- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|   `* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|    `* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
|     `* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
|      `- Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
+- Re: OT: AfghanistanPeter Jason
+* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
|`* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
| +* Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
| |`* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
| | +- Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
| | `* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
| |  +- Re: OT: AfghanistanXeno
| |  +* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
| |  |`* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
| |  | `* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
| |  |  +* Re: OT: AfghanistanDaryl
| |  |  |`* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
| |  |  | `- Re: OT: AfghanistanDaryl
| |  |  +* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
| |  |  |`* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
| |  |  | +- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
| |  |  | `* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
| |  |  |  +* Re: OT: Afghanistanalvey
| |  |  |  |`- Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
| |  |  |  `* Re: OT: Afghanistankeithr0
| |  |  |   +- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
| |  |  |   `* Re: OT: AfghanistanClocky
| |  |  `- Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
| |  `* Re: OT: AfghanistanYosemite Sam
| +* Re: OT: AfghanistanDaryl
| `* Re: OT: AfghanistanNoddy
`* Re: OT: AfghanistanSylvia Else

Pages:123456
Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgpotc$kfv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4562&group=aus.cars#4562

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Afghanistan
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 13:53:46 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 05:53 UTC

On 2/09/2021 1:08 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>
>> The Taliban are going to have enough trouble trying to run a country.
>> By the time that they have that sorted, most of the sophisticated
>> equipment will have degenerated beyond usefulness.
>
> That which isn't already.
>
>> At the end of the Vietnam war, the North Vietnamese inherited the 5th
>> biggest airforce in the world. What did they do with it? bugger all,
>> and they were a lot more sophisticated than the Taliban.
>
> Indeed.
>
> The biggest threat the Taliban posses to anyone is to their own local
> population. Outside of that, they're fucking hopeless.

People have made those kind of assumptions about other groups before...
then two towers collapsed in a heap.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipb7uhFscucU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4563&group=aus.cars#4563

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:06:06 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 06:06 UTC

On 2/9/21 2:11 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 1:15 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 18-Aug-21 2:55 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>>
>>> the shithole is a shithole again.  :(
>>>

>> Unfortunately, the seeds for this were sown twenty years ago, when
>> corruption was allowed to take root. There were lessons about that
>> should have been learned from Vietnam, but which weren't.
>>
>> Sylvia
>
> It goes way back, the yanks supported the Mujahedin because they were
> fighting the Russians. Partly because of their stupid belief that "Mine
> enemys enemy is my friend" ignoring of course that your enemys enemy may
> hate you as much as him, and partly to pay the Russians back for
> supporting the North Vietnamese.
>
> That brought Bin Lardin to prominence and we all know how that went.
> George Bush went into Afghanistan to root out Bin Lardin and co, did
> half a job, riled up the locals and pissed off to invade Iraq, thus
> creating ISIS, and starting a civil war in Afghanistan. The Taliban knew
> that the yanks would eventually get fed up with the fight and go home,
> and voila we have the mess that eventuated.

Seems to be what always happens when the Yanks get involved in any conflict.
Most likely all about money, US military suppliers make 10's of
$billions out of wars so they support politicians who go to war and buy
lots of equipment/arms.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipb8faFsfvqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4564&group=aus.cars#4564

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:15:04 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 06:15 UTC

On 2/9/21 3:03 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 2:11 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, the seeds for this were sown twenty years ago, when
>>> corruption was allowed to take root. There were lessons about that
>>> should have been learned from Vietnam, but which weren't.
>>>
>>> Sylvia
>>
>> It goes way back, the yanks supported the Mujahedin because they were
>> fighting the Russians. Partly because of their stupid belief that
>> "Mine enemys enemy is my friend" ignoring of course that your enemys
>> enemy may hate you as much as him, and partly to pay the Russians back
>> for supporting the North Vietnamese.
>
> Which is what it was only ever about.
>
>> That brought Bin Lardin to prominence and we all know how that went.
>> George Bush went into Afghanistan to root out Bin Lardin and co, did
>> half a job, riled up the locals and pissed off to invade Iraq, thus
>> creating ISIS, and starting a civil war in Afghanistan. The Taliban
>> knew that the yanks would eventually get fed up with the fight and go
>> home, and voila we have the mess that eventuated.
>
> There was never any other option.
>
> It wouldn't have mattered how long the Americans were there or how good
> or bad they were, the locals were *always* going to hate them and run
> the place how they wanted to whenever they left.

My brother has been there at least 3 times, last time he was 2IC of the
Australian Forces.
He has a very low opinion of the US military, "poorly trained and lack
discipline", the Aussies went out of their way to make sure the locals
knew that they are Australian not American and that way they get along
with the local just fine whereas the Americans weren't welcome.

> Being there was the ultimate exercise in futility.

Unless the objective was not obvious, IMHO the objective was for US arms
manufacturers to make money and if that's true then they achieved their
objective.
They were never going to control Afghanistan.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipb8n6Fsgk3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4565&group=aus.cars#4565

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:19:19 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 06:19 UTC

On 2/09/2021 4:06 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/9/21 2:11 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, the seeds for this were sown twenty years ago, when
>>> corruption was allowed to take root. There were lessons about that
>>> should have been learned from Vietnam, but which weren't.
>>>
>>> Sylvia
>>
>> It goes way back, the yanks supported the Mujahedin because they were
>> fighting the Russians. Partly because of their stupid belief that
>> "Mine enemys enemy is my friend" ignoring of course that your enemys
>> enemy may hate you as much as him, and partly to pay the Russians back
>> for supporting the North Vietnamese.
>>
>> That brought Bin Lardin to prominence and we all know how that went.
>> George Bush went into Afghanistan to root out Bin Lardin and co, did
>> half a job, riled up the locals and pissed off to invade Iraq, thus
>> creating ISIS, and starting a civil war in Afghanistan. The Taliban
>> knew that the yanks would eventually get fed up with the fight and go
>> home, and voila we have the mess that eventuated.
>>

> Seems to be what always happens when the Yanks get involved in any
> conflict.
> Most likely all about money, US military suppliers make 10's of
> $billions out of wars so they support politicians who go to war and buy
> lots of equipment/arms.

An American friend back in the '60s reckoned that 2 things were keeping
the US economy going - Vietnam and Apollo.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipb8qeFsgk3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4566&group=aus.cars#4566

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:21:02 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 06:21 UTC

On 2/09/2021 3:53 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 1:08 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 2/09/2021 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>
>>> The Taliban are going to have enough trouble trying to run a country.
>>> By the time that they have that sorted, most of the sophisticated
>>> equipment will have degenerated beyond usefulness.
>>
>> That which isn't already.
>>
>>> At the end of the Vietnam war, the North Vietnamese inherited the 5th
>>> biggest airforce in the world. What did they do with it? bugger all,
>>> and they were a lot more sophisticated than the Taliban.
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>> The biggest threat the Taliban posses to anyone is to their own local
>> population. Outside of that, they're fucking hopeless.
>>

> People have made those kind of assumptions about other groups before...
> then two towers collapsed in a heap.

That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbbe3Ft1fkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4567&group=aus.cars#4567

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:05:37 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 07:05 UTC

On 2/9/21 4:21 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 3:53 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> That which isn't already.

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> The biggest threat the Taliban posses to anyone is to their own local
>>> population. Outside of that, they're fucking hopeless.
>>>

>> People have made those kind of assumptions about other groups
>> before... then two towers collapsed in a heap.
>>
> That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.

Yep, someone well trained had to know where to place the explosives to
bring those towers down:-)

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq0q5$uob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4568&group=aus.cars#4568

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:08:36 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 08:08 UTC

On 2/09/2021 2:21 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 3:53 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> That which isn't already.

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> The biggest threat the Taliban posses to anyone is to their own local
>>> population. Outside of that, they're fucking hopeless.
>>>

>> People have made those kind of assumptions about other groups
>> before... then two towers collapsed in a heap.
>>
> That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.

That is what is said now, but 20 years ago today they were assumed to be
guerilla cave dwellers with not much reach.

That changed a few days later.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq1c2$uob$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4569&group=aus.cars#4569

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:18:12 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 08:18 UTC

On 2/09/2021 12:11 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 1:15 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 18-Aug-21 2:55 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>>
>>> the shithole is a shithole again.  :(
>>>

>> Unfortunately, the seeds for this were sown twenty years ago, when
>> corruption was allowed to take root. There were lessons about that
>> should have been learned from Vietnam, but which weren't.
>>
>> Sylvia
>
> It goes way back, the yanks supported the Mujahedin because they were
> fighting the Russians. Partly because of their stupid belief that "Mine
> enemys enemy is my friend" ignoring of course that your enemys enemy may
> hate you as much as him, and partly to pay the Russians back for
> supporting the North Vietnamese.
>
> That brought Bin Lardin to prominence and we all know how that went.
> George Bush went into Afghanistan to root out Bin Lardin and co, did
> half a job, riled up the locals and pissed off to invade Iraq, thus
> creating ISIS, and starting a civil war in Afghanistan. The Taliban knew
> that the yanks would eventually get fed up with the fight and go home,
> and voila we have the mess that eventuated.

In a twist of irony the US and Taliban might yet form an alliance to
fight the ISIS-K.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbg7kFtvkmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4570&group=aus.cars#4570

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 18:29:40 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 08:29 UTC

On 2/09/2021 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 12:22 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> They have all been disabled before abandonment
>>

>> says who?
>>
>> https://www.timesofisrael.com/taking-black-hawk-on-victory-flight-taliban-parade-plundered-us-hardware/
>>

>>> as well as all other mobile equipment.
>>

>> nonsense. they now have whatever the Afghan military had, or most of it.
>>
>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastienroblin/2021/06/30/one-month-700-trucks-afghanistans-us-military-vehicles-fall-into-taliban-hands/
>>

>> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/01/taliban-parade-captured-us-military-equipment-in-kandahar
>>

>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58356045
>>
>> plus they have captured US military equipment.. body armor, M4's,
>> night vision goggles, etc.,
>
> What exactly do you think that they are going to do with this stuff?

use it in armed conflict. but I see a potential for terrorism. a
terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily pass
for a US soldier and could gain proximity to military or other targets

>>> Short answer, no, in terms of the aircraft.
>>

>> yes they do. afghanis trained by the US who are now taliban
>
> To a certain extent, there won't be any top guns among them, and if
> they do start annoying, US drones can certainly take them out any time.

>>> Again, no. Any planes would need to be transported to another
>>> country where such facilities exist. Such facilities no longer exist
>>> in Afghanistan.
>>

>> whatever facilities were there are still there
>
> How many Blackhawk technicians do you think that they have?
>
>>> Even then, spares to make them serviceable would be embargoed by the
>>> US so, nor repair.
>>>

>> some could be cannibalized for needed parts.
>
> The Taliban are going to have enough trouble trying to run a country.
> By the time that they have that sorted, most of the sophisticated
> equipment will have degenerated beyond usefulness.
>
> At the end of the Vietnam war, the North Vietnamese inherited the 5th
> biggest airforce in the world. What did they do with it? bugger all,
> and they were a lot more sophisticated than the Taliban.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq5f7$t4n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4571&group=aus.cars#4571

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:28:05 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:28 UTC

On 2/09/2021 4:21 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 3:53 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 2/09/2021 1:08 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> The biggest threat the Taliban posses to anyone is to their own local
>>> population. Outside of that, they're fucking hopeless.
>>>

>> People have made those kind of assumptions about other groups
>> before... then two towers collapsed in a heap.
>>
> That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.

And better financed.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq5gv$t4n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4572&group=aus.cars#4572

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:29:03 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:29 UTC

On 2/09/2021 5:05 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/9/21 4:21 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>> That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.
>
> Yep, someone well trained had to know where to place the explosives to
> bring those towers down:-)

Conspiracy theory nutjob alert :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq6ji$618$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4573&group=aus.cars#4573

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:47:28 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:47 UTC

On 2/09/2021 4:15 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/9/21 3:03 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> It wouldn't have mattered how long the Americans were there or how
>> good or bad they were, the locals were *always* going to hate them and
>> run the place how they wanted to whenever they left.
>
> My brother has been there at least 3 times, last time he was 2IC of the
> Australian Forces.
> He has a very low opinion of the US military, "poorly trained and lack
> discipline", the Aussies went out of their way to make sure the locals
> knew that they are Australian not American and that way they get along
> with the local just fine whereas the Americans weren't welcome.

You only have to look at the fucking mess their own country is in to
know that their chances of sorting out trouble in any *other* country
are extremely remote.

>> Being there was the ultimate exercise in futility.
>>

> Unless the objective was not obvious, IMHO the objective was for US arms
> manufacturers to make money and if that's true then they achieved their
> objective.

I don't know if that was the case, but there are no doubt some in
Washington who take great delight in such government policy.

Watch "Charley Wilson's War". It's a great film :)

> They were never going to control Afghanistan.

Nope.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbkvaFbqiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4574&group=aus.cars#4574

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:48:24 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:48 UTC

On 2/09/2021 6:08 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 2:21 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> People have made those kind of assumptions about other groups
>>> before... then two towers collapsed in a heap.
>>>
>> That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.
>
> That is what is said now, but 20 years ago today they were assumed to be
> guerilla cave dwellers with not much reach.
>
> That changed a few days later.

It was done and organised by well educated Saudis, and financed by Bin
Lardin who was from a well known Saudi family. I don't think that
guerilla cave dwellers were at all involved or even suspected. Bin
Lardin was running a well run terrorist training camp in Afghanistan not
hiding in caves. He was known as a threat before 911, the Clinton
administration made an attempt to dispose of his group by firing cruise
missiles at them. He also warn Bush about them but bush did nothing
about it.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq6lk$618$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4575&group=aus.cars#4575

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:48:36 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:48 UTC

On 2/09/2021 4:19 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 4:06 pm, Daryl wrote:

>> Seems to be what always happens when the Yanks get involved in any
>> conflict.
>> Most likely all about money, US military suppliers make 10's of
>> $billions out of wars so they support politicians who go to war and
>> buy lots of equipment/arms.
>>
> An American friend back in the '60s reckoned that 2 things were keeping
> the US economy going - Vietnam and Apollo.

They certainly cost a shit-tonne of money.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<X91YI.57581$T_8.13426@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4576&group=aus.cars#4576

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:52:52 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:52 UTC

On 2/09/2021 6:29 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>> What exactly do you think that they are going to do with this stuff?
>

> use it in armed conflict. but I see a potential for terrorism. a
> terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily pass
> for a US soldier and could gain proximity to military or other targets

Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams, a
"terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily pass
for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar? New York?

>>> yes they do. afghanis trained by the US who are now taliban

Felix, it's a Blackhawk. It's not an Apache Longbow.... Blackhawks are
for transport. Yes, you may find a pintle mounted .50 cal MG hanging out
the door, or even a rocket pod or two on a sponson for troop support,
yet seems like the tali-tubbies havent found one yet, or more
importantly, any ammo for them. If i understand the news from various
sources, the AFGHAN Army shit their pants and bailed out, leaving some
aircraft, inc broken down US and Afghan UH-60 Blackhawk helos, some
Ch-53 helo's, and a Cessna Skyvan (?) behind. Most in a state of
disrepair. The Afghan Army light attack aircraft were flown out of the
country by the pilots as they ran away.. The Taliban do not have access
to any aircraft more powerful than a lightweight ground attack aircraft.
A-29 Turcano's And can find some fuel and ammo.. And what they got were
more than likely broken. If it's capable of fight/flight, it'd be gone..
The aircraft left behind (probably broken down/dead/worthless to US /
Afghan army) are worthless in a warfighting enviorment. Targets at best.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq7u5$fj8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4577&group=aus.cars#4577

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:10:11 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:10 UTC

On 2/09/2021 7:52 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 6:29 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 2/09/2021 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>

>>> What exactly do you think that they are going to do with this stuff?
>>

>> use it in armed conflict. but I see a potential for terrorism. a
>> terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>> pass for a US soldier and could gain proximity to military or other
>> targets
>
> Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams, a
> "terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily pass
> for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar? New York?

Lol :)

*Jesus* he's a fucking idiot, isn't he? :)

> Felix, it's a Blackhawk. It's not an Apache Longbow.... Blackhawks are
> for transport. Yes, you may find a pintle mounted .50 cal MG hanging out
> the door, or even a rocket pod or two on a sponson for troop support,
> yet seems like the tali-tubbies havent found one yet, or more
> importantly, any ammo for them. If i understand the news from various
> sources, the AFGHAN Army shit their pants and bailed out, leaving some
> aircraft, inc broken down US and Afghan UH-60 Blackhawk helos, some
> Ch-53 helo's, and a Cessna Skyvan (?) behind. Most in a state of
> disrepair. The Afghan Army light attack aircraft were flown out of the
> country by the pilots as they ran away.. The Taliban do not have access
> to any aircraft more powerful than a lightweight ground attack aircraft.
> A-29 Turcano's And can find some fuel and ammo.. And what they got were
> more than likely broken. If it's capable of fight/flight, it'd be gone..
>  The aircraft left behind (probably broken down/dead/worthless to US /
> Afghan army) are worthless in a warfighting enviorment. Targets at best.

Yep.

Even if they managed to get any of the things into the air, the fuck are
they going to do with them? Spray a few rounds at the locals? As soon as
they popped up anywhere they would be shot out of the sky in a heartbeat.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgq8em$ivj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4578&group=aus.cars#4578

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:18:59 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:18 UTC

On 2/09/2021 7:48 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 6:08 pm, Clocky wrote:

>> That is what is said now, but 20 years ago today they were assumed to
>> be guerilla cave dwellers with not much reach.
>>
>> That changed a few days later.
>
> It was done and organised by well educated Saudis, and financed by Bin
> Lardin who was from a well known Saudi family. I don't think that
> guerilla cave dwellers were at all involved or even suspected.

Jerky has no idea what he's talking about.

> Bin Lardin was running a well run terrorist training camp in Afghanistan not
> hiding in caves. He was known as a threat before 911, the Clinton
> administration made an attempt to dispose of his group by firing cruise
> missiles at them. He also warn Bush about them but bush did nothing
> about it.

Not that I'm much of a "Dubya" fan, but there wasn't a hell of a lot he
*could* do about it up to that point. A bit different from the situation
where they bombed the fuck out of Lybia and pulled Qaddafi into line.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbnauFo14U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4579&group=aus.cars#4579

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:30:54 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:30 UTC

On 2/09/2021 7:52 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 6:29 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 2/09/2021 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>

>>> What exactly do you think that they are going to do with this stuff?
>>

>> use it in armed conflict. but I see a potential for terrorism. a
>> terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>> pass for a US soldier and could gain proximity to military or other
>> targets
>
> Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams, a
> "terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
> pass for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar? New York?

anywhere there's a US military presence. could you tell the difference
if they look the same?

> Felix, it's a Blackhawk. It's not an Apache Longbow.... Blackhawks are
> for transport. Yes, you may find a pintle mounted .50 cal MG hanging
> out the door, or even a rocket pod or two on a sponson for troop
> support, yet seems like the tali-tubbies havent found one yet, or more
> importantly, any ammo for them. If i understand the news from various
> sources, the AFGHAN Army shit their pants and bailed out, leaving some
> aircraft, inc broken down US and Afghan UH-60 Blackhawk helos, some
> Ch-53 helo's, and a Cessna Skyvan (?) behind. Most in a state of
> disrepair. The Afghan Army light attack aircraft were flown out of the
> country by the pilots as they ran away.. The Taliban do not have
> access to any aircraft more powerful than a lightweight ground attack
> aircraft. A-29 Turcano's And can find some fuel and ammo.. And what
> they got were more than likely broken. If it's capable of
> fight/flight, it'd be gone..  The aircraft left behind (probably
> broken down/dead/worthless to US / Afghan army) are worthless in a
> warfighting enviorment. Targets at best.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbndnFo14U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4580&group=aus.cars#4580

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:32:23 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:32 UTC

On 2/09/2021 8:10 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 7:52 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> use it in armed conflict. but I see a potential for terrorism. a
>>> terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>>> pass for a US soldier and could gain proximity to military or other
>>> targets
>>
>> Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams,
>> a "terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>> pass for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar? New York?
>
> Lol :)
>
> *Jesus* he's a fucking idiot, isn't he? :)

no

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbrh9F1j7fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4581&group=aus.cars#4581

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:40:25 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:40 UTC

On 2/9/21 7:29 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 5:05 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 2/9/21 4:21 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>
>>> That was done by Saudis, a much more educated and sophisticated mob.
>>
>> Yep, someone well trained had to know where to place the explosives to
>> bring those towers down:-)
>
> Conspiracy theory nutjob alert :)

LOL:-)

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipbtcjF1u86U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4582&group=aus.cars#4582

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 22:12:00 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 12:12 UTC

On 2/09/2021 8:30 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 7:52 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> use it in armed conflict. but I see a potential for terrorism. a
>>> terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>>> pass for a US soldier and could gain proximity to military or other
>>> targets
>>
>> Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams, a
>> "terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>> pass for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar? New York?
>>

> anywhere there's a US military presence. could you tell the difference
> if they look the same?

Do you not think that the Afghan accent may give them away not to
mention a lack of knowledge of US procedures

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgql8r$aho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4583&group=aus.cars#4583

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 23:57:47 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 13:57 UTC

On 2/09/2021 10:12 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 8:30 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams,
>>> a "terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would easily
>>> pass for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar? New York?
>>>

>> anywhere there's a US military presence. could you tell the difference
>> if they look the same?
>
> Do you not think that the Afghan accent may give them away not to
> mention a lack of knowledge of US procedures

:)

I think Felix watches too many movies :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipc8ucF4473U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4584&group=aus.cars#4584

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 01:31:24 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:31 UTC

On 2/09/2021 10:12 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 8:30 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Pardon me if i'm missing something, but aside from some wild dreams,
>>> a "terrorist fully kitted out in US uniform and weaponry would
>>> easily pass for a US soldier" ... "would"? WHERE? Kabul? Kandahar?
>>> New York?
>>>

>> anywhere there's a US military presence. could you tell the
>> difference if they look the same?
>
> Do you not think that the Afghan accent may give them away not to
> mention a lack of knowledge of US procedures

who's he talking to?

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<sgs1a0$5re$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4589&group=aus.cars#4589

From: jon...@nothere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:29:21 +1000
 by: jonz - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 02:29 UTC

On 9/2/2021 6:18 PM, Clocky wrote:
> On 2/09/2021 12:11 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, the seeds for this were sown twenty years ago, when
>>> corruption was allowed to take root. There were lessons about that
>>> should have been learned from Vietnam, but which weren't.
>>>
>>> Sylvia
>>
>> It goes way back, the yanks supported the Mujahedin because they were
>> fighting the Russians. Partly because of their stupid belief that
>> "Mine enemys enemy is my friend" ignoring of course that your enemys
>> enemy may hate you as much as him, and partly to pay the Russians
>> back for supporting the North Vietnamese.
>>
>> That brought Bin Lardin to prominence and we all know how that went.
>> George Bush went into Afghanistan to root out Bin Lardin and co, did
>> half a job, riled up the locals and pissed off to invade Iraq, thus
>> creating ISIS, and starting a civil war in Afghanistan. The Taliban
>> knew that the yanks would eventually get fed up with the fight and go
>> home, and voila we have the mess that eventuated.
>>
> In a twist of irony the US and Taliban might yet form an alliance to
> fight the ISIS-K.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Would be just another marriage of convenience, destined to fail.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." — Gene

Re: OT: Afghanistan

<ipdi23Fbk0bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4593&group=aus.cars#4593

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:13:10 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:13 UTC

On 2/09/2021 4:15 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/9/21 3:03 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It goes way back, the yanks supported the Mujahedin because they
>>> were fighting the Russians. Partly because of their stupid belief
>>> that "Mine enemys enemy is my friend" ignoring of course that your
>>> enemys enemy may hate you as much as him, and partly to pay the
>>> Russians back for supporting the North Vietnamese.
>>
>> Which is what it was only ever about.
>>
>>> That brought Bin Lardin to prominence and we all know how that went.
>>> George Bush went into Afghanistan to root out Bin Lardin and co, did
>>> half a job, riled up the locals and pissed off to invade Iraq, thus
>>> creating ISIS, and starting a civil war in Afghanistan. The Taliban
>>> knew that the yanks would eventually get fed up with the fight and
>>> go home, and voila we have the mess that eventuated.
>>
>> There was never any other option.
>>
>> It wouldn't have mattered how long the Americans were there or how
>> good or bad they were, the locals were *always* going to hate them
>> and run the place how they wanted to whenever they left.
>
> My brother has been there at least 3 times, last time he was 2IC of
> the Australian Forces.

i'm rather surprised and impressed by that