"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." -- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

SubjectAuthor
* Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems lasAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|`* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|  `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
|   `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|    `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
|     +* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|     |`* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
|     | +* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|     | |`- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
|     | `- Why must Arlen lie all the time? (was Re: Why do Apple operatingAlan
|     `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modernYK
|      `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modernAlan
|       `- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern-hh
+- Why must Arlen constantly lie? (was Re: Why do Apple operatingAlan
+* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while allChris
> [...]
|    | | `- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsYour Name
|    | +* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modernAlan
|    | |`* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|    | | `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsJAB
|    | |  `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|    | |   `- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsJAB
|    | `* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsnospam
|    |  `- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsJAB
|    `- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modernAlan
+- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modernThomas E.
+- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systemsAndy Burnelli
 `- Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modernAlan

Pages:1234
Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcm7aj$13q6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10932&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10932

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 18:11:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 17:11 UTC

It's a serious question of why _only_ Apple operating systems just die.
*Nobody can name a common consumer OS with _shorter_ support than iOS!*

Meanwhile, Android, Linux, and Windows operating systems (all of which I
own in addition to iOS) essentially are updated almost forever (in layers).
<https://i.postimg.cc/gj0r2cBP/osupdate01.jpg> iOS 13.5 to iOS 15.3.1

When nospam denied my desktop is almost fifteen years old and it's _still_
updated continually by Microsoft to Windows 10, I snapped this for him:
<https://i.postimg.cc/3x3pZBfP/version01.jpg> Windows & Android updates

Like a flat earth proponent denying the earth is round, nospam can't fathom
that any modern consumer operating system could possibly update that long.
<https://i.postimg.cc/TwN6P0QR/appleid08.jpg> Only Apple requires a login

And yet, they all continually update... Linux, Windows, and Android.
Every modern operating system updates asychronously by layers.
*_Except_ Apple operating systems!*

That means:
a. Modern operating systems other than from Apple have long support lives
b. By way of stark contrast, Apple's operating systems "*just die*".

Why?

As of Project Mainline/Treble (since renamed a few times by Google),
Android is updated in layers such that the operating system lives forever
(and those layers are _all_ donated to the AOSP open source community).

And my Windows desktop was born in 2009 on whatever Windows it came with
at the time, which has been updated for free in all the 13 years since.

Yet my iPads just die.
Why?

*Why are Apple operating systems the _least in longevity_ of all common OS's?*
<https://i.postimg.cc/3x3pZBfP/version01.jpg>L Windows & Android updates

Can you name a _single_ common consumer OS with a shorter lifespan than iOS?

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<060820221554358470%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10937&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10937

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 15:54:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 19:54 UTC

In article <tcm7aj$13q6$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Yet my iPads just die.
> Why?

because *you* fucked up.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcmviq$9om$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10938&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10938

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 01:05:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 00:05 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Yet my iPads just die.
>> Why?
>
> because *you* fucked up.

What's different with the iPads is that Apple kills off the operating
system, which wouldn't be so bad if the _entire_ set of default
applications didn't get killed off with it. But it does.

Meanwhile, Android updates in layers so even if the operating system
_version_ was killed off (which happens frequently), the apps live on.

That's the difference between a modern operating system design for
longevity (e.g., Windows, Linux, and Android) and one designed to die.

While _every_ other common consumer OS lives on essentially forever, the
Apple operating systems just die - because everything dies with it.

Note: The facts being what they ware, the question is "Why".

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<060820222027542398%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10939&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10939

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 20:27:54 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 00:27 UTC

In article <tcmviq$9om$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> Yet my iPads just die.
> >> Why?
> >
> > because *you* fucked up.
>
> What's different with the iPads is that Apple kills off the operating
> system,

they do not.

in fact, my original ipad from more than 12 years ago still works
perfectly fine and can do everything it did when it was new, without
any issues whatsoever.

> which wouldn't be so bad if the _entire_ set of default
> applications didn't get killed off with it.

nothing is killed off.

> But it does.

it does not.

> Meanwhile,

blah blah. more incorrect bullshit demonstrating just how incredibly
uninformed you are.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcnocu$1kn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10943&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10943

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 08:08:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 07:08 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> What's different with the iPads is that Apple kills off the operating
>> system,
>
> they do not.

Yes they do.
The question is simply why.

Why does Apple kill off its default apps when the operating system dies?

Specifically, why can't an older iOS update the default apps to the latest
version like all other common consumer operating systems habitually do?

> in fact, my original ipad from more than 12 years ago still works
> perfectly fine and can do everything it did when it was new, without
> any issues whatsoever.

Bullshit.
I have access to older iPads and they can't load (almost) a damn thing.

Since you've never owned a modern operating system, you think that's normal
But it's not.

A modern operating system can still load the latest apps, e.g., even an
ancient Android phone can still load most of the latest default Google
apps.

>> which wouldn't be so bad if the _entire_ set of default
>> applications didn't get killed off with it.
>
> nothing is killed off.

Bullshit.
What ceases to be shocking is how _little_ you know of iOS, nospam.

You can't load a damn thing (almost) on an older iPad.

>> But it does.
>
> it does not.

iOS kills off _both_ the default apps and the operating system.
No other modern operating system does that.

It's only iOS that *just dies* on you.

>> Meanwhile,
>
> blah blah. more incorrect bullshit demonstrating just how incredibly
> uninformed you are.

Clearly you've never used an older iOS device nospam since the fact remains
a fact whether or not you like that fact that you can't load (almost) a
damn thing on an older iPad.

And yet, for older Android or Windows 10 or Linux, almost every default app
can be updated to the latest version of that default app.

It's _only_ iOS where the default apps dies with the operating system.
That's just a fact.

The question here is why.

Specifically, why can't an older iOS update the default apps to the latest
version like all other common consumer operating systems habitually do?

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<070820220557295781%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10948&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10948

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 05:57:29 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 09:57 UTC

In article <tcnocu$1kn$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Specifically, why can't an older iOS update the default apps to the latest
> version

because the latest versions of apps use apis and frameworks not
available in older versions of the os, exactly the same as all other
oses.

for example, newer versions of safari and many other apps use
wkwebview, which doesn't exist on older versions of ios.

another example is arkit, which is is relatively new and also benefits
from hardware not present on older devices, such as the lidar scanner.
roomplan requires the lidar scanner.

> like all other common consumer operating systems habitually do?

no they don't, for the same reasons.

> > in fact, my original ipad from more than 12 years ago still works
> > perfectly fine and can do everything it did when it was new, without
> > any issues whatsoever.
>
> Bullshit.

not at all.

> I have access to older iPads and they can't load (almost) a damn thing.

because you fucked up and refuse to accept responsibility.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcpaln$sp1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10961&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10961

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:26:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 21:26 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> version
>
> because the latest versions of apps use apis and frameworks not
> available in older versions of the os, exactly the same as all other
> oses.

While that's true, _why_ is it that they die far sooner on iOS?

> for example, newer versions of safari and many other apps use
> wkwebview, which doesn't exist on older versions of ios.

And yet the latest Chrome works on almost every version of Android.

> another example is arkit, which is is relatively new and also benefits
> from hardware not present on older devices, such as the lidar scanner.
> roomplan requires the lidar scanner.

Why is it that iOS Safari dies sooner than does Chrome on Android?

>> like all other common consumer operating systems habitually do?
>
> no they don't, for the same reasons.

No other operating system has this problem that the archaic iOS has.
*iOS just dies*

The whole thing (almost).
Dead. Poof. Gone.

That's just a fact.
The question isn't whether that's a fact - because it _is_ a fact.

The question is why.

>> I have access to older iPads and they can't load (almost) a damn thing.
>
> because you fucked up and refuse to accept responsibility.

I'm not talking about my recent iPads; I'm talking about older iPads.
The older iPads... almost everything on them... can't be updated.

Meanwhile, _every_ other platform is still alive in terms of app updates.
That's just a fact that the whole thing (almost) just dies when it's iOS.

The question is why.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<070820221747065811%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10965&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10965

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 17:47:06 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 21:47 UTC

In article <tcpaln$sp1$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > because the latest versions of apps use apis and frameworks not
> > available in older versions of the os, exactly the same as all other
> > oses.
>
> While that's true, _why_ is it that they die far sooner on iOS?

they don't.

> And yet the latest Chrome works on almost every version of Android.

no it doesn't.

> The older iPads... almost everything on them... can't be updated.

the current ipad os 15 works on ipads as far back as 2014, *eight*
years ago.

android support doesn't come anywhere close to that. older the vast
majority of android devices can't be updated beyond a couple of years.
a scarce few might be 3-4 years.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcpd13$1l78$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10967&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10967

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 23:06:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:06 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> While that's true, _why_ is it that they die far sooner on iOS?
>
> they don't.

Let's keep this factual discussion to an adult level nospam, shall we?
(I realize you _hate_ facts - but I'm going to stick to the facts anyway.)

Remember, I never dispute facts.
You do. Not me.

Only fool disputes facts.

Let's take the example of Safari as I _know_ Chrome doesn't go all the way
back to the first Android phone (like other apps do) which makes Safari
versus Chrome a "fair fight" since Chrome does NOT go all the way back.

I don't remember, offhand, how far back Chrome goes, so it's a perfect way
to start our comparison of facts between iOS & Android default app support.

>> And yet the latest Chrome works on almost every version of Android.
>
> no it doesn't.

Again, only a fool disputes facts, nospam.
Let's bring out the facts.

a. You tell me which is the _oldest_ iOS the current Safari loads on.
b. I'll look up the oldest Android that the current Chrome loads on.

That will be our first combined objective test.

>> The older iPads... almost everything on them... can't be updated.
>
> the current ipad os 15 works on ipads as far back as 2014, *eight*
> years ago.

I only care about the facts, nospam.

a. You tell us what is the _oldest_ iOS the newest Safari works on.
b. I will tell us what the oldest Android the newest Chrome works on.

That's a fair comparison, is it not?

> android support doesn't come anywhere close to that. older the vast
> majority of android devices can't be updated beyond a couple of years.
> a scarce few might be 3-4 years.

a. Tell us what the oldest iOS is that the newest Safari loads & works on.
b. I will look up the oldest Android that the newest Chrome does the same.

That's a fair starting point for an _adult_ discussion, is it not?

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcpe60$kh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10970&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10970

From: yourkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern
operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 18:26:07 -0400
 by: YK - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:26 UTC

On 8/7/22 5:26 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> version
>>
>> because the latest versions of apps use apis and frameworks not
>> available in older versions of the os, exactly the same as all other
>> oses.
>
> While that's true, _why_ is it that they die far sooner on iOS?
>
>> for example, newer versions of safari and many other apps use
>> wkwebview, which doesn't exist on older versions of ios.
>
> And yet the latest Chrome works on almost every version of Android.
>
>> another example is arkit, which is is relatively new and also benefits
>> from hardware not present on older devices, such as the lidar scanner.
>> roomplan requires the lidar scanner.
>
> Why is it that iOS Safari dies sooner than does Chrome on Android?
>
>>> like all other common consumer operating systems habitually do?
>>
>> no they don't, for the same reasons.
>
> No other operating system has this problem that the archaic iOS has.
> *iOS just dies*
>
> The whole thing (almost).
> Dead. Poof. Gone.
>
> That's just a fact.
> The question isn't whether that's a fact - because it _is_ a fact.
>
> The question is why.
>
>>> I have access to older iPads and they can't load (almost) a damn thing.
>>
>> because you fucked up and refuse to accept responsibility.
>
> I'm not talking about my recent iPads; I'm talking about older iPads.
> The older iPads... almost everything on them... can't be updated.
>
> Meanwhile, _every_ other platform is still alive in terms of app updates.
> That's just a fact that the whole thing (almost) just dies when it's iOS.
>
> The question is why.

Okay, I usually kill Arlen's drivel threads before it gets this deep,
But I have a question, as my experience restoring and updating hundreds
of iPads annually, since 2011, has not revealed to me the answer to my
question posed in the next paragraph.

I want to know what "default" apps quit working on the older iOS
devices? From my devices running iPad 2. 8.1, 9.3, and 12.3, they all
include:
Messages
Safari
Mail
FaceTime
Calendar
Photos
Camera
Contacts
Clock
Maps
Video
Photo Booth
Notes
App Store
Reminders
News
Settings
iTunes Store
App Store
iBooks
Settings
Game Center
Tips
Podcasts
Find Friends
Find Phone

I am unable to delete any of the above applications. If I do a restore
on all, but my iPad 12.3, those are the standard applications that are
installed on each and all are on my iOS 12 device, but I'm doing a
restore to prove they are the default applications, because I know they
are. So which one of these were deleted on your iPad when you updated
the iOS? I really want to know.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<070820221837568786%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10971&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10971

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 18:37:56 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:37 UTC

In article <tcpd13$1l78$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Remember, I never dispute facts.

evidence shows otherwise

> Only fool disputes facts.

there you go again, calling yourself a fool.

Why must Arlen constantly lie? (was Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcrcag$vikp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10976&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10976

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Why must Arlen constantly lie? (was Re: Why do Apple operating
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 09:06:40 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 16:06 UTC

On 2022-08-06 10:11, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> It's a serious question of why _only_ Apple operating systems just die.
> *Nobody can name a common consumer OS with _shorter_ support than iOS!*
They don't.

Why must Arlen lie all the time? (was Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcrchd$vikp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10978&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10978

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Why must Arlen lie all the time? (was Re: Why do Apple operating
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 09:10:21 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 16:10 UTC

On 2022-08-07 15:06, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> While that's true, _why_ is it that they die far sooner on iOS?
>>
>> they don't.
>
> Let's keep this factual discussion to an adult level nospam, shall we?
> (I realize you _hate_ facts - but I'm going to stick to the facts anyway.)
>
> Remember, I never dispute facts.
> You do. Not me.
>
> Only  fool disputes facts.
>
> Let's take the example of Safari as I _know_ Chrome doesn't go all the way
> back to the first Android phone (like other apps do) which makes Safari
> versus Chrome a "fair fight" since Chrome does NOT go all the way back.
>
> I don't remember, offhand, how far back Chrome goes, so it's a perfect way
> to start our comparison of facts between iOS & Android default app support.
>
>>> And yet the latest Chrome works on almost every version of Android.
>>
>> no it doesn't.
>
> Again, only a fool disputes facts, nospam.
> Let's bring out the facts.
>
> a. You tell me which is the _oldest_ iOS the current Safari loads on.
> b. I'll look up the oldest Android that the current Chrome loads on.

It's also a tacit admission that when you stated, "And yet the latest
Chrome works on almost every version of Android"

....you didn't actually know if that was true or not.

'Chrome is available on phones and tablets running Android 6.0+
(Marshmallow).'

<https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid>

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcrcve$vltv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10979&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10979

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 09:17:49 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 16:17 UTC

On 2022-08-07 15:26, YK wrote:

>>> because the latest versions of apps use apis and frameworks not
>>> available in older versions of the os, exactly the same as all other
>>> oses.
>>
>> While that's true, _why_ is it that they die far sooner on iOS?
>>
>>> for example, newer versions of safari and many other apps use
>>> wkwebview, which doesn't exist on older versions of ios.
>>
>> And yet the latest Chrome works on almost every version of Android.
>>
>>> another example is arkit, which is is relatively new and also benefits
>>> from hardware not present on older devices, such as the lidar scanner.
>>> roomplan requires the lidar scanner.
>>
>> Why is it that iOS Safari dies sooner than does Chrome on Android?

>>> no they don't, for the same reasons.
>>
>> No other operating system has this problem that the archaic iOS has.
>> *iOS just dies*
>>
>> The whole thing (almost).
>> Dead. Poof. Gone.
>>
>> That's just a fact.
>> The question isn't whether that's a fact - because it _is_ a fact.
>>
>> The question is why.

>>> because you fucked up and refuse to accept responsibility.
>>
>> I'm not talking about my recent iPads; I'm talking about older iPads.
>> The older iPads... almost everything on them... can't be updated.
>>
>> Meanwhile, _every_ other platform is still alive in terms of app updates.
>> That's just a fact that the whole thing (almost) just dies when it's iOS.
>>
>> The question is why.
>
> Okay, I usually kill Arlen's drivel threads before it gets this deep,
> But I have a question, as my experience restoring and updating hundreds
> of iPads annually, since 2011, has not revealed to me the answer to my
> question posed in the next paragraph.
>
> I want to know what "default" apps quit working on the older iOS
> devices? From my devices running iPad 2. 8.1, 9.3, and 12.3, they all
> include:
> Messages
> Safari

I won't speak to any other application, but I do know that on my very
old iPad Mini—the very first iPad Mini Apple released, that some
websites will no longer load properly in the Safari included with last
version of iOS it can run (9.3.5).

And iOS 10 was released in 2016—just 4 years after the iPad Mini, so
that's not actually a very long window in this case.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcrht4$spa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10981&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10981

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 18:42:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:42 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Remember, I never dispute facts.
>
> evidence shows otherwise

Adults provide facts to back up their belief systems.
iKooks do not.

As always, the iKooks deny all facts without a shred of evidence?
Why?
I don't know why.

It may be simply that iKooks _hate_ all facts about Apple.
Or, it may be that iKooks simply hate all facts.

Either way, the iKooks' entire belief system is purely imaginary.
Like that of a kindergarten child musing about Santa Claus.

Facts don't play any role in iKooks wholly fabricated belief system.

*Where is your evidence nospam, that iOS does NOT _just die_ on you?*

Even Apple says *you must _replace_ the iPad/iPhone* to get current apps.
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252623454>

It remains that of all common consumer operating systems,
Apple operating systems and included default apps die soonest.

If you're going to dispute this, you'd better provide facts - because...
*iOS just dies*

Even Apple says you can't update the default apps outside of the OS.
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251147046>
"*You cannot singularly update Safari* as it is a component of iOS.
As such, it is updated together with iOS."

And if anyone sane on Windows relied on Safari, they're screwed.
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416>
"Apple no longer offers Safari updates for Windows.
Safari 5.1.7 for Windows was the last version made for Windows,
and it is now outdated."

If you use Apple software, it will "just die" on you.
*iOS dies soonest*

The oldest handset supported by iOS 13 is the iPhone 6s.
The iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.
The first generation iPhone SE will not get the iOS 16 update.

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only
models)
or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

The Chrome Browser requires iOS12.2 or later
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252623454>
"As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store,
you'll not be able to (re)download or install them which
*severely limits the usefulness and utility of your iPad*.
As such, if you want or need to access most current Apps,
requiring more recent versions of iOS, you'll need to consider
*replacement of your iPad* with a newer or current model."

To use Chrome browser on Windows, you'll need Windows 7, Windows 8,
Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or later.

To use Chrome browser on Mac, you'll need OS X El Capitan 10.11 or later.

To use Chrome browser on Linux, you'll need 64-bit Ubuntu 18.04+,
Debian 10+, openSUSE 15.2+, or Fedora Linux 32+.

To use Chrome browser on Android, you'll need Android Marshmallow 6.0 or
later.
<https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626>

It remains that of all common consumer operating systems,
Apple operating systems and included default apps die soonest.

If you're going to dispute this, you'd better provide facts - because...
*iOS just dies*

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcrnag$10pd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10983&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10983

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all
modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:14:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OEGiXTPZvSY92MPpuMgkFFiEh9c=
 by: Chris - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:14 UTC

Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Like a flat earth proponent denying the earth is round,

Wrong. They do believe it's round; as a disc. They don't believe it's a
globe.

> Yet my iPads just die.
> Why?

God knows. All my ipads still work, including an original first generation
one.

> Can you name a _single_ common consumer OS with a shorter lifespan than iOS?

My Moto G 4G only lasted 18 months. And my HTC Desire only got a year's
worth of updates.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<080820221551250660%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10984&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10984

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 15:51:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:51 UTC

In article <tcrnag$10pd8$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Yet my iPads just die.
> > Why?
>
> God knows. All my ipads still work, including an original first generation
> one.

he's already explained what happened.

first of all, his ipads didn't die. they still work fine, they're just
asking for his apple id password. he could ignore that, but that won't
fit his ranting.

his problem is he has no idea what the password is, and he can't reset
it because he also used a disposable email address for the apple id,
which he does not remember (and probably wouldn't work anymore even if
he did remember it).

what is no surprise to anyone, he blames apple for his fuckup.

fafo.

> > Can you name a _single_ common consumer OS with a shorter lifespan than iOS?
>
> My Moto G 4G only lasted 18 months. And my HTC Desire only got a year's
> worth of updates.

you must be mistaken.

he said android is updated forever and the latest version of chrome
will run on it, as will all existing apps, past, present and future.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcs3e0$1vrr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10990&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10990

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 23:41:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 22:41 UTC

Chris wrote:

> All my ipads still work, including an original first generation
> one.

Oh Good! Show me a screenshot of the latest Safari on that iPad.

Oh wait! You can't.

You lied.

Again.
--
What the iKooks do is lie to cover up the fact iOS dies soonest.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcs3hn$1hq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10991&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10991

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 23:43:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 22:43 UTC

nospam wrote:

> he's already explained what happened.

It's no longer shocking you think this is about _my_ iPads when the fact is
that Chris lied about _his_ iPads and I wasn't even talking about mine.

The fact is Safari just dies, along with the iOS for Chris' old iPads.

Chris lied.

Why did Chris lie?
I don't know why.

I suspect it's as simply as you iKooks all _hate_ the facts about iOS.
*iOS dies soonest* of all common consumer operating systems.

Why must Arlen lie all the time? (was Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcs3kc$12188$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10993&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10993

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:44:27 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 22:44 UTC

On 2022-08-08 15:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> All my ipads still work, including an original first generation
>> one.
>
> Oh Good! Show me a screenshot of the latest Safari on that iPad.
>
> Oh wait! You can't.
>
> You lied.
>
> Again.

No, Arlen: YOU lied.

You lied by omitting much of what he said.

Why can't Arlen tell the truth? (was Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcs3o5$12188$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10995&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10995

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Why can't Arlen tell the truth? (was Re: Why do Apple operating
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:46:28 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 22:46 UTC

On 2022-08-08 15:43, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> he's already explained what happened.
>
> It's no longer shocking you think this is about _my_ iPads when the fact is
> that Chris lied about _his_ iPads and I wasn't even talking about mine.

He didn't lie, liar. YOU lieed.

> The fact is Safari just dies, along with the iOS for Chris' old iPads.

I have an old iPad—an original iPad Mini.

Safari continues to work on it.

> Chris lied.
>
> Why did Chris lie?
> I don't know why.
>
> I suspect it's as simply as you iKooks all _hate_ the facts about iOS.
> *iOS dies soonest* of all common consumer operating systems.

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcs3pf$12188$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10996&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10996

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:47:11 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 22:47 UTC

On 2022-08-08 15:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> All my ipads still work, including an original first generation
>> one.
>
> Oh Good! Show me a screenshot of the latest Safari on that iPad.

Show us a screenshot of Chrome on an Android phone that can't run
Android 6 or higher...

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<jldmqcF99rgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11001&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11001

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?
Date: 9 Aug 2022 00:07:40 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 00:07 UTC

On 2022-08-08, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Yet my iPads just die. Why?
>
> God knows. All my ipads still work, including an original first
> generation one.

Same here with my iPad 1 and 2. Safari, Messages, and a slew of other
apps continue to run on these things. Dipshit Andy wants us not to
believe our lying eye though. We are supposed to believe our iPads are
"just dead", according to dipshit Andy.

>> Can you name a _single_ common consumer OS with a shorter lifespan than iOS?
>
> My Moto G 4G only lasted 18 months. And my HTC Desire only got a year's
> worth of updates.

You are supposed to ignore those as if they do not exist. It's the only
way dipshit Andy's lame trolls work. ; )

JR

Re: Why must Arlen lie all the time? (was Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<jldmt6F99rgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11002&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11002

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Why must Arlen lie all the time? (was Re: Why do Apple
Date: 9 Aug 2022 00:09:10 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 00:09 UTC

On 2022-08-08, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2022-08-08 15:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>>
>>> All my ipads still work, including an original first generation one.
>>
>> Oh Good! Show me a screenshot of the latest Safari on that iPad.
>>
>> Oh wait! You can't.
>>
>> You lied.
>>
>> Again.
>
> No, Arlen: YOU lied.
>
> You lied by omitting much of what he said.

No, no. That iPad is "just dead", you see. Don't believe your lying
eyes! It's just dead. And nothing Chris, you, I, or anyone else can say
will change this "FACT".

JR

Re: Why do Apple operating systems *just die* while all modern operating systems last, essentially, almost forever?

<tcs943$1pls$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11003&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11003

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:18:11 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 00:18 UTC

On 2022-08-08 22:47:11 +0000, Alan said:
> On 2022-08-08 15:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> All my ipads still work, including an original first generation
>>> one.
>>
>> Oh Good! Show me a screenshot of the latest Safari on that iPad.
>
> Show us a screenshot of Chrome on an Android phone that can't run
> Android 6 or higher...

But according to that braindead know-nothing moron, every Android
device can run the lastest version of Android OS.