"We don't have to protect the environment -- the Second Coming is at hand." -- James Watt

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

SubjectAuthor
* What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?John Robertson
+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Big Al
|`* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?wasbit
| `- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?geoff
+- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?sticks
+- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Ken Blake
+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Philip Herlihy
> [...]
|`* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Mayayana
| +* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Big Al
| |+- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Stan Brown
| |`- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Mayayana
| `* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?geoff
|  `* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Mayayana
|   +* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?geoff
|   |`- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Ken Blake
|   `* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Rene Lamontagne
|    `* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Mayayana
|     `- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Roger Blake
+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Bucky Breeder
|`* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Bullwinkle
| `- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Bucky Breeder
+- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?occam
+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Paul Carmichael
|+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Big Al
||+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Paul Carmichael
|||+* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Ken Blake
|||`* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Mayayana
||| +* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?geoff
||| `* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?Paul Carmichael
||`- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?geoff
|`- Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?wasbit
`* Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?wasbit

Pages:12345
Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<MPG.3d038f1b7570f72898ff4d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12089&group=rec.photo.digital#12089

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 04:23:41 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 11:23 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 17:32:18 -0400, knuttle wrote:
> Using a Addon, Irfanview can do OCR of a document. Again great if you
> are doing research.

I tried that, and it did a significantly worse job than PowerPoint
2010's "copy text from picture". OCRing a scanned page of a book both
ways, I had to make quite a few more corrections in the Irfanview
one.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7ct9s$t3o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12090&group=rec.photo.digital#12090

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 08:03:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 12:03 UTC

On 6/3/2022 6:48 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "wasbit" <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> | I believe that Photoshop was sometimes included in the installed software
> | bundle when you bought a new computer.
>
> My brother got PS4 with a scanner. Then when he tried to
> upggrade to PS5, Adobe gave him a hard time. They claimed
> that it wasn't his software because he had entered the company
> he worked for during setup. He had to go back to that company
> and have them write a letter attesting that my brother had
> got the software himself....
>
> Nasty company.

IDK. I rather like Adobe customer support.

I bought a scanner from the US of A. Well, as it turned out,
the unit was gray market. How did I discover this ? The
Photoshop CD did not contain an English language install.
It was a six language or eight language installer, with no
English.

Of the three parties to the transaction, only Adobe understood
the situation. The support person said, "yes, I've had situations
like this here recently". The support person had my details, but
did not do anything right on the spot. I think he needed authorization.
The scanner company said "why did you buy a gray market scanner!!!".
To which I replied "Do I know the details of how you run your business ?
I bought this piece of crap in good faith".

Well, two days later, a courier knocked at my door. There was a
Photoshop CD, English, in the box. Adobe corrected a situation,
caused by a gray market seller of computer equipment in the US of A.
And Adobe corrected it on Adobe's dime.

*******

One of the cheapest ways to get something with "Photoshop" in
the name, was it was offered in-box with the purchase of a
certain Maxtor hard drive. I gave my PC copy, to a guy at work
who needed a copy. That's because at the time, I had two
copies for the Mac at home. One of the copies came
with the scanner, a full version.

You can of course, right this very second, install a certain version
of Photoshop that was "let loose into the wild". Adobe stopped
running a certain license server. The feeling at the time was,
there was so much pirating going on, and compromised copies, that
it was considered the better thing to just cut all the stuff loose.
Even though this did not mean the software was "free". From a practical
details point of view, you could use it without paying anything.

That version is pretty old and cranky, and I would not recommend the
pursuit of said animal, unless you needed it for scanner operation.
(It makes a royal mess of file associations.)

My scanner had a rather nice Photoshop plugin, for antialiasing
support. You could measure the dot-pitch of stock you're feeding
to the scanning surface, and select just the right conditions for
scanning using the plugin. That's about the only reason Photoshop
ran on the machine, was as part of scanner servicing. It wasn't
really a hot-shit scanner. Rather a joke by modern standards.
Today, $100 gets you a better scanner.

Paul

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<20220603085346@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12091&group=rec.photo.digital#12091

From: rogbl...@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 12:54:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 12:54 UTC

On 2022-06-03, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> I think I've always just called it the right side of the taskbar.

The Clueless don't even know what that is.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
There is no "climate crisis" -- https://climatedepot.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<030620220904297891%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12092&group=rec.photo.digital#12092

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 09:04:29 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 13:04 UTC

In article <t7ct9s$t3o$1@dont-email.me>, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> You can of course, right this very second, install a certain version
> of Photoshop that was "let loose into the wild". Adobe stopped
> running a certain license server. The feeling at the time was,
> there was so much pirating going on, and compromised copies, that
> it was considered the better thing to just cut all the stuff loose.
> Even though this did not mean the software was "free". From a practical
> details point of view, you could use it without paying anything.

uh, no.

the registration server for photoshop cs2 was taken offline because
newer versions had replaced it and the number of new registrations for
cs2 had dropped to almost zero. adobe could no longer justify keeping
the server active. simple business decision.

however, there were still those who had legitimate copies of cs2 and
sometimes needed to re-activate it, such as for a replacement computer,
so adobe offered a way to do that. unlike many other companies, adobe
supports older software.

it was *not* a method for anyone to get a free copy of cs2, nor was
that ever the intent. full stop.

the reality is that some people did exploit it to pirate it, but not
enough to justify keeping the registration server online for what was
then an obsolete version that didn't even work on most systems at the
time the server was taken offline.

cs2 is so old (released in 2005) that it won't work on any recent
hardware or operating systems for both mac and windows, and at this
point, there's no way to activate it anymore even if someone still has
an older system, not to mention that it can't compete with recent apps,
from adobe and others.

> That version is pretty old and cranky, and I would not recommend the
> pursuit of said animal, unless you needed it for scanner operation.

such a scanner would not work on recent hardware either.

> (It makes a royal mess of file associations.)

no it didn't.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<nc6k9hh2c3oiomand9rsl8tc7scmsvp29m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12093&group=rec.photo.digital#12093

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 07:26:53 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 14:26 UTC

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 11:32:05 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
wrote:

>On 3/06/2022 9:16 am, Mayayana wrote:
>> "geoff" <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote

>> | Well that's wrong for starters.
>>
>> You think no one knows of Irfan View but most people
>> know "system tray"? You may need to get out more.
>> Find a human family. :)
>>

>I get out heaps.
>
>Pretty much all my close and extended family that use computers know
>what the Win system tray is, and it's purpose. And likewise my friends
>and acquaintances.

It's no big deal, but I'll just mention that official name of the
"system tray" is "notification area," not "system tray," although many
(most?) people call it the "system tray."

>In the quick survey above, not one of over a dozen regular computer
>users amongst then had ever heard of Irfanview.

I don't find that at all surprising. It's not a well-known as it
should be.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<87ck9h9u8hdh85bkdk4g60r7df8psmsghk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12094&group=rec.photo.digital#12094

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 12:12:38 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:12 UTC

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 09:31:28 +0100, "wasbit" <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Tony Cooper" <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:26:37 -0400, "Mayayana"
>> <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>>"Paul Carmichael" <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I think I've used it since '99. I liked it so much that
>>>I mailed the author, Irfan Skildjan, some cash. At the
>>>time I think there was Fastone for a fairly high cost.
>>
>> FastStone is a free app, and - as far I know - always has been free.
>>
>> snip <
>
>FastStone Image Viewer & FastStone Photo Resizer are freeware
>
>FastStone Capture & FastStone Maxview are commercial
>
>Please give the full title of the programme you are using so as not to cause
>confusion.
>A link to the programme is also good.
>
> - https://www.faststone.org/

My comments applied to the FastStone Image Viewer (free).

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7dcrh$tfd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12095&group=rec.photo.digital#12095

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 10:28:29 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:28 UTC

On 6/3/2022 2:48 AM, wasbit wrote:
> "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>> "John Robertson" <spam@flippers.com> wrote
>>
>> | If they answer with PhotoShop, then I treat them as an expert
>>
>>   My term for that is "sucker". But a lot of people
>> in business are forced to use PS, so it's not so clearcut.
>> So maybe I'd have 3 categories: sucker, business user, and
>> "Mom bought it for me".
>>

> I believe that Photoshop was sometimes included in the installed
> software bundle when you bought a new computer.
> Probably it would then come under your category of "Mom bought it for
> me" but your categories are generalisations that have a very wide scope.
I don't recall Photoshop ever packaged with scanners or other equipment.
I think you probably recall Photoshop ELEMENTS, a much less capable and
much less expensive suite.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7df24$g1c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12096&group=rec.photo.digital#12096

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 13:06:08 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 17:06 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

| You can of course, right this very second, install a certain version
| of Photoshop that was "let loose into the wild". Adobe stopped
| running a certain license server.

You mean the CS2 versions? That was a weird one. First
they put it online for free and gave away serial numbers.
Then they suddeny said, "Hey this is illegal and we could
come after you! We only made this free and publicly
available for existing customers who lost their CD!"

Apparently they thought it would help sell upgrades but
then no one ordered an upgrade. That's the only logic I
can think of.

I love to loathe them. They've always been overpriced. They're
a member of the BSA. Their Acrobat Reader is a monstrosity.
They've repeatedly tried to comandeer the Internet, with Flash,
PDF, and AIR... But I'm glad you got your CD.

| That version is pretty old and cranky, and I would not recommend the
| pursuit of said animal, unless you needed it for scanner operation.
| (It makes a royal mess of file associations.)

Better yet, you can use GIMP, PhotoDemon, PSP 5...
All free. Unless you're tryint to make the Kardashians
look good for another magazine cover, you probably don't
need PS specialty filters.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7df86$hm4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12097&group=rec.photo.digital#12097

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 13:09:22 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 17:09 UTC

"Jeff Barnett" <jbb@notatt.com> wrote

| I don't recall Photoshop ever packaged with scanners or other equipment.

It was. There was no PS Elements at the time that I can recall.
My brother ogt it with a scanner for his Mac. Probably about '99.
PS4. He then got an upgrade to PS5. So it was a legit, full copy.

All kinds of things used to be packaged. PSP4 used to come
with modems. I once got WordPro on a magazine CD and used
it for years. I also have a version of Textbridge Pro that I think
came with an HP printer.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7dfce$ire$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12098&group=rec.photo.digital#12098

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 13:11:38 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 17:11 UTC

"Paul Carmichael" <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote

| > | Who cares what the default jpg viewer is?
| > |

| > Sounds like a typical Linux nerd. Yu don't really care
| > about graphics, but you'll die on your sword for EMacs...
| | <plonk>

Yes. That confirms it. It's usually Linux nerds
that are so irascible that they argue about refusing
to talk to you. :)

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<MPG.3d03e4f440f260ac989683@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12099&group=rec.photo.digital#12099

From: Bullwin...@invalid.invalid (Bullwinkle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 10:30:03 -0700
 by: Bullwinkle - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 17:30 UTC

In article <XnsAEA95A6151E8BOhmmmmmmm@85.12.62.254>, Breeder_Bucky-
Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out says...

> John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> posted this
> via news:t72pe6$2e6f5$1@news.mixmin.net:
>
> > I often am asked to help people over the phone on Windows where I ask
> > them if they have Irfanview installed as a test of their PC knowledge
> > level.
>
> I just talked to a person who has a graduate degree in Photoshop (Graphic
> Design) and a master's degree in computer engineering. He currently
> supervises the regional office of a national corporation specializing in
> CAD, architecture, and mechanical engineering (graphics and 3D rendering)
> using various Linux, Mac, and Windows (10 & 11) OSs on several networks.
> He's also a computer systems analyst, engineer, and network administrator.
>
> To test your little test, I asked him if he had Irfanview installed on any
> of his computer systems.
>
> He said, "Urbanview? What the fuuk are you talking about, Bucky? Just
> because you're banging my little sister doesn't mean I want to play vague
> riddle games with you."
>
> To be fair, we had been drinking a bit in a rowdy bar... instead of my
> using the phone to apply the "test". I believe he might have been
> subconsciously a little jealous of me because his sister is quite a
> luscious, voluptuous, drop-dead beautiful babe and sexual relations between
> siblings simply is not tolerated in our society. Besides, I doubt if she'd
> be interested in him whereas she has/had me.
>
> The moral of the story is: "While knowledge is a variable that cannot be
> measured in terms of freeware graphics programs, Irfanview can help suss
> out deeply suppressed inclinations of incest."
>
> Hope this hleps.

Quite creative. Does she crap in your bed like Amber?

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<030620221355183820%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12100&group=rec.photo.digital#12100

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 13:55:18 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 17:55 UTC

In article <t7df86$hm4$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | I don't recall Photoshop ever packaged with scanners or other equipment.
>
> It was.

it was not.

> There was no PS Elements at the time that I can recall.
> My brother ogt it with a scanner for his Mac. Probably about '99.

because at that time, it was called photoshop le.

it was renamed to photoshop elements in 2000.

> PS4. He then got an upgrade to PS5. So it was a legit, full copy.

it was a legit copy of photoshop 4 *le*, upgraded to photoshop 5 *le*,
which was the last version before it was renamed to photoshop elements.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<030620221355193895%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12101&group=rec.photo.digital#12101

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 13:55:19 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 17:55 UTC

In article <t7df24$g1c$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | You can of course, right this very second, install a certain version
> | of Photoshop that was "let loose into the wild". Adobe stopped
> | running a certain license server.
>
> You mean the CS2 versions? That was a weird one. First
> they put it online for free and gave away serial numbers.
> Then they suddeny said, "Hey this is illegal and we could
> come after you! We only made this free and publicly
> available for existing customers who lost their CD!"

adobe always said that, because existing customers sometimes needed to
reactivate cs2 on replacement hardware, which would be rather difficult
without an activation server.

the activation server was taken offline in 2013, eight years after cs2
was originally released and could no longer run on then current
systems.

> Apparently they thought it would help sell upgrades but
> then no one ordered an upgrade. That's the only logic I
> can think of.

right, because instead of paying full price, just give away free copies
so people can pay a discounted price.

that doesn't make any sense.

> I love to loathe them. They've always been overpriced.

their prices are competitive with similar products and their sales
continue to be strong, thus it cannot be overpriced.

it might be more than *you* want to pay, but that's different. they do
offer a consumer version of photoshop for those who don't need
professional level tools.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7dia7$c3o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12102&group=rec.photo.digital#12102

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 14:01:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 18:01 UTC

On 6/3/2022 12:28 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/3/2022 2:48 AM, wasbit wrote:
>> "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message news:t737fd$2bl$1@dont-email.me...
>>> "John Robertson" <spam@flippers.com> wrote

>>>   My term for that is "sucker". But a lot of people
>>> in business are forced to use PS, so it's not so clearcut.
>>> So maybe I'd have 3 categories: sucker, business user, and
>>> "Mom bought it for me".
>>>

>> I believe that Photoshop was sometimes included in the installed software bundle when you bought a new computer.
>> Probably it would then come under your category of "Mom bought it for me" but your categories are generalisations that have a very wide scope.
>
> I don't recall Photoshop ever packaged with scanners or other equipment. I think you probably recall Photoshop ELEMENTS, a much less capable and much less expensive suite.

It was bundled with my scanner.

The scanner was $1500 CDN and came with full Photoshop.
This might be similar to the item.

http://www.verycomputer.com/49_9c39a148eb20f313_1.htm

FOR SALE: Agfa Arcus II Scanner

INCLUDES: - SCSI Interface
- 36-bit, 600x1200 optical resolution
- Built-in Transparency Adaptor (does reflection or transmission)
- Adobe Photoshop 3.0 (Macintosh, Full Version, Unregistered) <===
- FotoLook, FotoTune Lite, FotoFlavor, Agfa Font CD
- Photo Graphics Edges Vol. 1 (Traditional Edges)
- In like-new condition with original box, manuals, etc.

*******

The Maxtor 40GB IDE hard drive was bundled with "Photoshop LE",
a "$99 value". That's the software I gave to someone at
work. I have no idea what the feature set was, because
I didn't examine the software at all.

Maxtor did other promotions, such as putting an IDE
controller card in one of their retail disk product boxes.
That was a Promise Ultra133 TX2. And I've used that a few
times, like when a computer has no IDE connector. It did
come in handy.

Paul

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<030620221457116606%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12103&group=rec.photo.digital#12103

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 14:57:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 18:57 UTC

In article <t7dia7$c3o$1@dont-email.me>, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> > I don't recall Photoshop ever packaged with scanners or other equipment. I
> > think you probably recall Photoshop ELEMENTS, a much less capable and much
> > less expensive suite.
>
> It was bundled with my scanner.
>
> The scanner was $1500 CDN and came with full Photoshop.
>
> This might be similar to the item.

similar, perhaps, but at roughly half the price, definitely not the
same.

> http://www.verycomputer.com/49_9c39a148eb20f313_1.htm
>
> FOR SALE: Agfa Arcus II Scanner
>
> INCLUDES: - SCSI Interface
> - 36-bit, 600x1200 optical resolution
> - Built-in Transparency Adaptor (does reflection or transmission)
> - Adobe Photoshop 3.0 (Macintosh, Full Version, Unregistered) <===
> - FotoLook, FotoTune Lite, FotoFlavor, Agfa Font CD
> - Photo Graphics Edges Vol. 1 (Traditional Edges)
> - In like-new condition with original box, manuals, etc.

that scanner originally sold for $3500 (according to what i could find
online) so it's not surprising it bundled professional level software.
it's not in any way a consumer product.

there also was no le/elements version at that time, so their only
option was to bundle the full app.

that was nearly 30 years ago. things have changed, a lot.

> *******
>
> The Maxtor 40GB IDE hard drive was bundled with "Photoshop LE",
> a "$99 value". That's the software I gave to someone at
> work. I have no idea what the feature set was, because
> I didn't examine the software at all.

photoshop le and elements were the consumer version of the then current
full photoshop, with msrp of $99 (street price less).

they both shared the same codebase, with le/elements not including
pro-level features that consumers (and even many pros) would never use,
such as cmyk separations. those who did need those features bought the
full version.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7ea8f$po1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12104&group=rec.photo.digital#12104

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 20:50:19 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 00:50 UTC

Jeff Barnett wrote:

> I don't recall Photoshop ever packaged with scanners or other equipment.
> I think you probably recall Photoshop ELEMENTS, a much less capable and
> much less expensive suite.

Was quite common during the earlier era(Mac)with business style slide
scanning hardware[1]
- Much different than today's marketing evolution from bundle or provide
free to gain a user base and later monetize.

[1] Initially bundled by an agreement with Barneyscan allowing
distribution as a free product with their scanners. Not large quantity,
but shortly thereafter the product license was sold to Adobe which
stripped the Barneyscan code and started charging for Photoshop.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<d72dnVNLbcFBKAf_nZ2dnUU7-fmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12105&group=rec.photo.digital#12105

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:31:07 +1200
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 01:31 UTC

On 3/06/2022 8:59 pm, wasbit wrote:
> "Big Al" <Bears@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On 5/30/22 11:56, this is what John Robertson wrote:
>>> I often am asked to help people over the phone on Windows where I ask
>>> them
>>> if they have Irfanview installed as a test of their PC knowledge level.
>>>
>>> This is a "graceful" test (without them knowing why I ask) of the noobs.
>>>
>>> For the noobs, if they don't have Irfanview, I ask them what they use to
>>> view pictures and videos and if they don't even know that, then
>>> they're a
>>> noob for sure so I know to treat them as noobs and I ask no further.
>>>
>>> If they answer with PhotoShop, then I treat them as an expert, but
>>> it's not
>>> hard to figure out expert levels so I'm concentrating on finding the
>>> noobs.
>>>
>>> But sometimes they tell me they never bother to look at pictures or
>>> video,
>>> so I need another question to ask them to figure out in a single
>>> quick but
>>> graceful test whether they're Windows PC noobs or not.
>>>
>>> What graceful noob question can I ask for those who don't view images?
>> Would asking what they would write a letter with work?  A letter to
>> print and either hand deliver or mail in an envelope.
>> If they say notepad then they're off the deep end.
>>

> Why?
> I use Notepad for practically everything written.
> Even though I have Libra Office I use Wordpad for written correspondence.

Local quarry run out of stone tablets ?

geoff

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<KuGdnfsw_awrKwf_nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12106&group=rec.photo.digital#12106

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:34:42 +1200
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 01:34 UTC

On 3/06/2022 10:48 pm, Mayayana wrote:
> "wasbit" <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> | I believe that Photoshop was sometimes included in the installed software
> | bundle when you bought a new computer.
>
> My brother got PS4 with a scanner. Then when he tried to
> upggrade to PS5, Adobe gave him a hard time. They claimed
> that it wasn't his software because he had entered the company
> he worked for during setup. He had to go back to that company
> and have them write a letter attesting that my brother had
> got the software himself....
>
> Nasty company. But like Microsoft, they've suckered anyone
> who wants to seem "professional". I suppose the more extreme
> noob category would be someone who uses Acrobat Reader.
> That's the kind of thing that indicates people don't know about
> software choice.

A bit like ProTools in the recording industry. But they even locked
users into their own hardware !

> Like you, I use Notepad a lot. (I was reading your post above.)
> In fact, I probably use Notepad more that any other program. I
> think a lot of these judgements are based on personal usage. For
> someone who uses MS Word all day, a computer expert is someone
> who uses MS Word. They probably don't even know about Notepad.
> Similarly with Photoshop. Anyone who types out a recipe in Word
> or views images in Photoshop is probably inexperienced with anything
> except those programs. But they're likely to be very adept in their
> specific area. It's a bit like an assembly line worker. They're well
> trained in attaching the right rear fender of a car being assembled
> at their plant, and they can probably cover several other stations
> on the assembly line, but they can't change their oil. Because cars
> are not their thing. They just happen to work assembling them. Ditto
> for architects with AutoCAD. They may work all day at a computer,
> but that doesn't mean they know how to turn it on.

I use Word all day. It's easier than having to decide if Notepad with do
the job, or if Wordpad would be required.

geoff

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<UoadnW1Y16wkKgf_nZ2dnUU7-TOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12107&group=rec.photo.digital#12107

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:39:04 +1200
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 01:39 UTC

On 3/06/2022 8:54 pm, wasbit wrote:
> "John Robertson" <spam@flippers.com> wrote in message
>> I often am asked to help people over the phone on Windows where I ask
>> them
>> if they have Irfanview installed as a test of their PC knowledge level.
>>
>> This is a "graceful" test (without them knowing why I ask) of the noobs.
>>
>> For the noobs, if they don't have Irfanview, I ask them what they use to
>> view pictures and videos and if they don't even know that, then they're a
>> noob for sure so I know to treat them as noobs and I ask no further.
>>

> I only know because I have Irfanview installed but if you asked me the
> default viewer built into Windows I would have to look it up, not
> forgetting that it changes with each version of Windows.

I apparently have had Irfanview installed since 2020. But forgot. Didn't
feel I was missing anything though ....

geoff

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<9oll9h1og0vajb1t8tq141asqdq3mes92g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12108&group=rec.photo.digital#12108

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 06:01:09 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 04:01 UTC

On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:39:04 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
wrote:

>On 3/06/2022 8:54 pm, wasbit wrote:
>> "John Robertson" <spam@flippers.com> wrote in message
>>> I often am asked to help people over the phone on Windows where I ask
>>> them
>>> if they have Irfanview installed as a test of their PC knowledge level.
>>>
>>> This is a "graceful" test (without them knowing why I ask) of the noobs.
>>>
>>> For the noobs, if they don't have Irfanview, I ask them what they use to
>>> view pictures and videos and if they don't even know that, then they're a
>>> noob for sure so I know to treat them as noobs and I ask no further.
>>>

>> I only know because I have Irfanview installed but if you asked me the
>> default viewer built into Windows I would have to look it up, not
>> forgetting that it changes with each version of Windows.
>>

>I apparently have had Irfanview installed since 2020. But forgot. Didn't
>feel I was missing anything though ....
>
>geoff

Exactly.

This isn't about "noobs", it's all about bragging that one's arbitrary
choice of unconventional software somehow makes one "superior".

For the record, I've known about Irfanview since it first came out
back in the mid-1990s. Never liked it, despite the sacred status
assigned to it by the usual nerds.

I also use normal software like Office. Why? Because it does the job
and there's no compatibilty issues with what my clients use. Paid for
as well -- it's a tool of the trade.

As for Gimp, don't make me laugh.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7eu7g$2en$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12109&group=rec.photo.digital#12109

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 02:31:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 06:31 UTC

On 6/4/2022 12:01 AM, none@given.com wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:39:04 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/06/2022 8:54 pm, wasbit wrote:
>>> "John Robertson" <spam@flippers.com> wrote in message

>>> I only know because I have Irfanview installed but if you asked me the
>>> default viewer built into Windows I would have to look it up, not
>>> forgetting that it changes with each version of Windows.
>>>

>> I apparently have had Irfanview installed since 2020. But forgot. Didn't
>> feel I was missing anything though ....
>>
>> geoff
>
> Exactly.
>
> This isn't about "noobs", it's all about bragging that one's arbitrary
> choice of unconventional software somehow makes one "superior".
>
> For the record, I've known about Irfanview since it first came out
> back in the mid-1990s. Never liked it, despite the sacred status
> assigned to it by the usual nerds.
>
> I also use normal software like Office. Why? Because it does the job
> and there's no compatibilty issues with what my clients use. Paid for
> as well -- it's a tool of the trade.
>
> As for Gimp, don't make me laugh.

Every platform has one of these things.

Unix used to be the "xv" program. (Unix being a platform which
is normally deprived of useful stuff. At work, I had to use
Lynx as a browser to get my job done! Pathetic.)

MacOS Classic used to be GraphicConverter from Lemke software.
A product so nice, Apple paid to have it bundled on the OS disc!
Imagine how that improves your product exposure, being bundled.

Windows had Irfanview, similar to GraphicConverter in the breadth
of features.

Imagemagick appears on more than one platform, but has been
through more than one re-write, and when you keep changing how
stuff works, it doesn't help your fan base. It's amazing software :-)
I managed to freeze Windows 10 with it, when Imagemagick started
using OpenMP while opening a very large image. In the blink of
an eye, Windows 10 was frozen more solid than a lollipop. It takes
skill to find Windows 10 bugs like that :-) That was a "tiny"
malloc crisis for the OS.

And GIMP is just fine for cropping and scaling technical images,
something I use it for all the time. And sometimes, when platform
screen capture is busted, I use the screen capture in GIMP
in emergencies. Like, if your screen is 24,000 pixels tall,
does your screen capture program still work ? I might
need to test a number of things, to get a result.

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --panning 1280x24000

Not every application of graphics is for a fine art magazine.

Paul

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<R5EmK.221673$d21.124133@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12110&group=rec.photo.digital#12110

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 08:46:57 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 07:46 UTC

On 04/06/2022 07:31, Paul wrote:
[....]
> Not every application of graphics is for a fine art magazine.

That is true! 🙂

I know you like to keep abreast of things, Paul.

Have you ever come across this item?

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2022/05/16/apple-platform-security-guide-may-2022/

It may come in useful one day!

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7fjuv$4ih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12111&group=rec.photo.digital#12111

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 08:42:04 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 12:42 UTC

"geoff" <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote

| I use Word all day. It's easier than having to decide if Notepad with do
| the job, or if Wordpad would be required.

That makes sense for people who write a lot of formal
letters. Though I don't appreciate getting a short note
that I need to crank up Libre Office to read. For DOC I
keep a VBScript on my desktop to translate them. (DOC
encoding is now public.) But for DOCX I can't do that.
Even opening a DOCX as ZIP, it's a surprisingly complicated
mess of files.)

For those of us who rarely write a formal letter, there's no
reason to install Word or to have all that bloat loaded all
the time. I keep a lot of plain text files. Notes. Records.
Articles I read online that I copied and pasted. And I often
have instances open with a URL, a note I'm writing, etc.
Like a visible, multiple clipboard. Basic English
ANSI is very efficient and compact. And reading in Notepad
is very comfortable. Usually if I want a bit more formatting
I'll just make a quick HTML file. I can also send that to others.
I would never assume other people can handle a DOC or DOCX.
But an HTML, or a DOC converted to PDF, is pretty much
universal.

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<t7fkbi$cb8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12112&group=rec.photo.digital#12112

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 08:48:46 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 12:48 UTC

<none@given.com> wrote

| This isn't about "noobs", it's all about bragging that one's arbitrary
| choice of unconventional software somehow makes one "superior".
| | For the record, I've known about Irfanview since it first came out
| back in the mid-1990s. Never liked it, despite the sacred status
| assigned to it by the usual nerds.

OK. So you resent people knowledgeable about using computers....
Now, we'd like to narrow down your expertise further. Please look around
at the screen of the TV part of your computer. Do you see an apple
with a bite taken out? A four-color flag that appears to be blowing
in the wind? Or do you see two giant eyes that follow you around,
and 7 programs to give you a console window?

If you see none of those things, does your computer have a logo
that says, "Wow!" and did you buy it with a coupon that you received
when you bought your dentures?

Re: What is a good noob test of whether someone knows Windows?

<040620220933081772%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12113&group=rec.photo.digital#12113

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 09:33:08 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:33 UTC

In article <t7fkbi$cb8$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | This isn't about "noobs", it's all about bragging that one's arbitrary
> | choice of unconventional software somehow makes one "superior".
> |
> | For the record, I've known about Irfanview since it first came out
> | back in the mid-1990s. Never liked it, despite the sacred status
> | assigned to it by the usual nerds.
> |

> OK. So you resent people knowledgeable about using computers....
> Now, we'd like to narrow down your expertise further. Please look around
> at the screen of the TV part of your computer. Do you see an apple
> with a bite taken out? A four-color flag that appears to be blowing
> in the wind? Or do you see two giant eyes that follow you around,
> and 7 programs to give you a console window?

you must be a 'noob'.

what happens if there's a bite out of an apple, a flag *and* multiple
console windows, all on the same computer? that must be super-elite
status, the best of the best.

> If you see none of those things, does your computer have a logo
> that says, "Wow!" and did you buy it with a coupon that you received
> when you bought your dentures?

is that what you did?