Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they become soggy and hard to light.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

SubjectAuthor
* Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Quadibloc
+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Michael Benveniste
|+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Ninapenda Jibini
||+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Scott Lurndal
|||+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Ninapenda Jibini
|||`* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Chris Buckley
||+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Dorothy J Heydt
||+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Michael Benveniste
||`* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?pete...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?The Horny Goat
+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Dorothy J Heydt
+* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?Andrew McDowell
`* Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?William Hyde

Pages:1234567
Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<8r9bogtarn49c6cskvlakh3b5asck0n91i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64029&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64029

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:01:30 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:01 UTC

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 20:11:37 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:

>>I dunno - when my wife's grandfather brought his family from Poland to
>>Canada in 1939 (and had to cross the Third Reich by rail to get to
>>England for his transatlantic ship) he sold everything he had and
>>bought gold coins which he sewed into his family's clothing to be used
>>as "seed money" in their new country.
>>
>>(He wasn't Jewish but knew he'd have to cross Germany by train and
>>simply didn't trust the Nazis not to seize whatever they could find.
>>Given he left Poland in early August 1939 I'd say this was not at all
>>an unreasonable fear)
>
>Your grandfather-in-law was a schmott guy.

My father in law's home town had a population of about 5-6000 (about
20-30 miles NW of Brest-Litovsk) and now has a population of about
400-500. As you probably know, I'm a historical buff and know this
specific area played a starring role in the tank battles of 1944
between the Red Army and the Nazis so one hopes the 90% of the
population ended up as refugees rather than tank bait.

For what it's worth post 1991 Poland brought in a system where any
child or grandchild of a Polish born citizen (exception: if your
forbear served as an officer in any foreign army your children and
grandchildren were excluded - since my father-in-law went straight
from farm to steel mill my kids qualify while my wife's cousins and
their children don't since her two uncles were both graduates of the
Royal Military College of Canada - our West Point - and were
commissioned on graduation. One became a career officer, the other
went from the Air Force to the National Research Council of Canada
once he had served his statutory requirement).

Only one of my 3 kids has done this but the other two know they can
also apply and get fast-tracked owing to their sister's approval. She
has lived in England since 2014 and likes to travel and post-Brexit
finds having an EU passport extremely useful.

But yes no question even an ordinary Polish farmer like my wife's
grandfather who had been applying to come to Canada since 1935 knew
that by 1939 big trouble between Germany and Poland was coming and
that he should run not walk to the exits. My late father-in-law told
me he remembered the black uniformed SS officers in all the German
train stations and how relieved his mother was when they got to
Holland en route to Britain and Canada. He was 15 when WW2 ended and
while they have made contact with some cousins in Poland many are
believed not to have survived German and Soviet rule.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<dgabog9t896sjmn6mi6pssgl57cdhv7r9o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64030&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64030

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:13:47 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:13 UTC

On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:22:50 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>And it is described that the queen sacrifice was *especially*
>impressive, implying that it warranted an impressive response.

I'm a chess player (though am better known in our area as an organizer
of events and have a lifetime achievement award from our provincial
association and from our international body - that "100+ tournaments"
comment is NOT an exaggeration) and while I was familiar with the game
in question before I looked at it again before making my previous post
and do not feel it would be an exaggeration to refer to it as the
chess equivalent of a hole in one in a PGA event.

Now we're talking Breslau in 1912 (now Wroclaw in Poland) so your
guess is as good as mine as to the crowd reaction at the site -
Marshall was known as a top tactician rather than as a "grinder" so he
had numerous sharp tactical victories but no question that game has
been reprinted numerous times in 'best games' collections and
deservedly so.

(1, Ironically ALL of America's top stars - Morphy, Marshall and
Fischer have been known as outstanding tacticians, 2, I am personally
skeptical of the 'thrown gold coins' story but a standing ovation
would not surprise me at all)

As for the gold coins story your guess is as good as mine but I hope
I've made it clear that this victory was spectacular. Marshall
simultaneously threatens mate and offers his opponent 3 separate ways
to take his queen all of which lead to his opponent's defeat.

That comment comparing it to a PGA hole in one was NOT an exaggeration
- it was the kind of spectacular game that gets played at most once or
twice per decade.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<r24D9C.1DrF@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64031&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64031

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:03:12 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:03 UTC

In article <XnsADD9875BD4954taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>,
Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>
>> In article <XnsADD9658398DBtaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>,
>> Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>Ridiculous. The average wage in the US last year was a bit under
>>>$70,000. 2 days of their labor is under $300 (assuming a 40 hour
>>>week). A *lot* of people carry that much in cash on a regular
>>>basis. Hell, some people (that is, ordinarly middle class
>>>people) spend that much on groceries every week.
>>
>> I asked Hal how much he spends on groceries per week, and he
>> said, "Two hundred to two hundred fifty."
>>
>> Plus about $35 a month for cat food.
>>
>> I guess we aren't ordinary. This doesn't surprise me.
>>
>I doubt your income is average. In fact, I suspect it's anywhere near
>$70k at this point in your lives, even combined. I could, of course,
>be wrong, but you've said things that suggest you watch your money
>pretty closely.

Well, yes. We are trying to save up enough to move out of
Vallejo next summer, when Vincent gets out of middle school. We
did some hunting around a couple years ago, when he'd just gotten
out of grade school, and found out that in the Bay Area, any
place other than Vallejo is much more expensive than Vallejo.

Note also that we're a five-person household: two retirees, two
in the workforce, and one minor child. And because of the
lockdown, DunDraCon didn't happen this year, which ordinarily
nets Hal, me, and Meg about two grand apiece, but not this year.
*Next* February looks as if it will happen.

But getting the hell out of Vallejo has become a higher priority
in the past year, because for most of this year I've been unable
to walk. (I have an appointment a month from now with a
neurologist who *may* know what I've got, which *may* be
treatable.)

But for now, we live in Vallejo, city of too damn many hills, and
there are ten concrete steps without handrails between our door
(in the in-law basement apartment) and the sidewalk.

So if I *have* to get out of the house, the routine consists of
Hal or Meg lifting me onto a small office chair and wheeling me
to the door, where Meg or Hal is waiting with the wheelchair.
One of the three mobile adults wheels me to the front of the
house and lowers me to the bottom step of the stairs to the
upstairs.

I now lift myself an inch or so on my hands, and push myself on
my backside down the ten concrete steps, one at a time.
Meanwhile one of the mobile adults has taken the chair down to
the sidewalk, and I get lifted into it and wheeled to the car,
where I get lifted into a seat. When we get where we're going
(usually a doctor's office), someone lifts me back into the chair
and we go wherever we're going.

The return trip is the reverse, except that I can't lift myself
*up* the steps, so two adults have to lift me by my armpits, one
step at a time.

This is probably more information than you care to have about why
we've *got* to get out of Vallejo, once Vincent finishes middle
school.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<66bbogp36v9ent5u2mc524trssb2qf9sav@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64032&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64032

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:16:16 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:16 UTC

On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:26:19 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote in
>
>> On 5 Nov 2021 19:05:29 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:
>>
>>>I frequently carry hundreds of dollars in my wallet, but very
>>>much dislike bills larger than $20. In particular, there are
>>>several ATMs I have to avoid as they like to give $50s, and in
>>>one case $100s. Nobody wants to make change for those.
>>
>> While this has not been true for more than a year or two bank
>> ATMs in our area allow you to specify what type of bills you
>> want when withdrawing - $5, $20, $50, $100
>
>I suspect it's more common where you live than most other places. I
>know of one ATM that gives you the choice. Right next to another one
>that doesn't. (And Behind the Orange Curtain in California is a place
>where you'll see more people interested in carrying large
>denomination bills than most places, given the wealth level here.)
>
>I suspect it's a matter of "new ATMs do that, but old ones only get
>replaces when they can't be repaired any more."

If it helps, that was a TD Bank machine in a big city suburban branch.
TD is by no means the biggest but is definitely one of the majors for
whatever that may or may not be worth. it's also part of a mall close
by to a large grocery store.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<16b4c663161c9483$1$3165828$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64033&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64033

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 18:18:13 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: mhb...@murkyether.com (Michael Benveniste)
 by: Michael Benveniste - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:18 UTC

On 11/5/2021 4:22 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:

> There is no dime-sized coin worth $300, moron.

Bzzzt. Wrong.

In reality, the same 5-ruble or 10-mark coins are worth right
around $300 today. The current U.S. 1/10 ounce gold coin currently
trades at a bid/ask spread of around $200-$250.

> Is it your claim that - assuming the incident happened as related -
> they three (sic) gold coins because they had nothing else?

My claim is that it never happened as related.

> No, it's your claim that people carrying 2 days of income on their
> persons in cash on their person is unusual. Which is a *stupid*
> claim now, and very likely then, as well.

Where did I claim that? Have an 8-year old read you what I wrote:
"As for people carrying gold coins, yes, it did occur, much like
people will carry $100 bills even today."

--
Mike Benveniste -- mhb@murkyether.com (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<ubbbogl3sdnhal2che83k7mfrvtabq8pfr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64034&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64034

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:19:18 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:19 UTC

On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:43:35 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But it is exactly
>> the sort of lunacy that an REMF with an MBA would come up with.
>
>That, too, is true.
>
>Or it could be a joke. Abou REMFs with an MBA, who are, after all,
>easy targets.

Thanks I think.

At least with my MBA I also met my MRS (we were married 8 months
later) so close to 40 years later I probably shouldn't complain too
much since while I love to sing orchestral numbers would prefer not to
take the soprano role....

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<iulp30Fls3oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64035&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64035

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 5 Nov 2021 22:21:20 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:21 UTC

In article <dgabog9t896sjmn6mi6pssgl57cdhv7r9o@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:22:50 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
><taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>And it is described that the queen sacrifice was *especially*
>>impressive, implying that it warranted an impressive response.
>
>I'm a chess player (though am better known in our area as an organizer
>of events and have a lifetime achievement award from our provincial
>association and from our international body - that "100+ tournaments"
>comment is NOT an exaggeration) and while I was familiar with the game
>in question before I looked at it again before making my previous post
>and do not feel it would be an exaggeration to refer to it as the
>chess equivalent of a hole in one in a PGA event.
>
>Now we're talking Breslau in 1912 (now Wroclaw in Poland) so your
>guess is as good as mine as to the crowd reaction at the site -
>Marshall was known as a top tactician rather than as a "grinder" so he
>had numerous sharp tactical victories but no question that game has
>been reprinted numerous times in 'best games' collections and
>deservedly so.
>
>(1, Ironically ALL of America's top stars - Morphy, Marshall and
>Fischer have been known as outstanding tacticians, 2, I am personally
>skeptical of the 'thrown gold coins' story but a standing ovation
>would not surprise me at all)
>
>As for the gold coins story your guess is as good as mine but I hope
>I've made it clear that this victory was spectacular. Marshall
>simultaneously threatens mate and offers his opponent 3 separate ways
>to take his queen all of which lead to his opponent's defeat.
>
>That comment comparing it to a PGA hole in one was NOT an exaggeration
>- it was the kind of spectacular game that gets played at most once or
>twice per decade.

Yeah, I know: squirrel!

But I couldn't resist:

http://columbiaclosings.com/pix/21/11/queen_takes_bishop.jpg
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<c4978854-c069-427f-bda6-bb51c0f4bbfbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64036&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64036

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:53 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 12:58:54 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> Michael Benveniste <m...@murkyether.com> wrote in
> > In 1910, the average annual wage in Germany was about 1000
> > marks. So each of those dime-sized coins equated to over 2 days
> > of labor. Even for the idle rich, that's a lot of money to pay
> > for what was effectively street entertainment.
> >
> Ridiculous. The average wage in the US last year was a bit under
> $70,000. 2 days of their labor is under $300 (assuming a 40 hour
> week). A *lot* of people carry that much in cash on a regular basis.
> Hell, some people (that is, ordinarly middle class people) spend that
> much on groceries every week.

Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was common to
carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to pay for things. I still keep
two or three $100 bills in a hidden corner of my wallet for emergencies,
and they've gotten me out of inconvenient situations a number of times.

Pt

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<d264f408-bfcf-4720-b1e0-6896d8bde325n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64037&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64037

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:55 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 11:10:03 AM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Well, his romantic ideas were encouraged by a trio of
> unscrupulous people who wanted to kill him before he married a
> foolish old woman for her money.

How strange. You would think they would want to kill him _after_
he married the foolish old woman for her money, so they could
steal the money from him...

unless, of course, they were already in the business of stealing
money from her. But then they would discourage his romantic
ideas...

John Savard

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<XnsADD9A2457D9E0taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64038&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64038

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:57:12 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:57 UTC

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:22:50 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
> <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>And it is described that the queen sacrifice was *especially*
>>impressive, implying that it warranted an impressive response.
>
> I'm a chess player (though am better known in our area as an
> organizer of events and have a lifetime achievement award from
> our provincial association and from our international body -
> that "100+ tournaments" comment is NOT an exaggeration) and
> while I was familiar with the game in question before I looked
> at it again before making my previous post and do not feel it
> would be an exaggeration to refer to it as the chess equivalent
> of a hole in one in a PGA event.

But that is how it's described in the account in question.

> As for the gold coins story your guess is as good as mine

I suspect that, at best, it is greatly exaggerated. But who knows? IN
any event, the only thing I have commented on is that people carring
2 days worth of their income around in cash isn't particularly
unlikely.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<49a15741-7001-441d-a524-3ec9b5305f5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64039&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64039

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 16:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:03 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 3:20:13 PM UTC-6, William Hyde wrote:

> Gold coins existed in denominations small enough
> for comfortably off people to carry them about.

At least _that's_ something I know something about, and can
confirm.

During the California Gold Rush, there were privately minted
gold coins in denominations as small as *fifty cents*. Mind
you, that's more than $5.00 in today's money, but that's still
a fairly small denomination.

Mexico minted a two-peso coin, roughly equivalent to $1.00
in U.S. currency prior to 1933.

And the smallest regular gold coin from the U.S. mint was
a quarter-eagle, denominated at $2.50. Many countries
minted gold coins with values from about $2 to $5.

John Savard

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<XnsADD9A3B7E1C60taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64040&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64040

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 23:05:44 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:05 UTC

Michael Benveniste <mhb@murkyether.com> wrote in

> On 11/5/2021 4:22 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>

>> There is no dime-sized coin worth $300, moron.
>
> Bzzzt. Wrong.

Do tell. Then let's add "in common circulation."

> In reality, the same 5-ruble or 10-mark coins are worth right
> around $300 today.

If anybody has one of those, they'll be keeping it in a case of
some sort as a collectible, not carrying it around *in their
pocket*.

Moron.

>The current U.S. 1/10 ounce gold coin
> currently trades at a bid/ask spread of around $200-$250.

Also not in common circulation. Also, in fact, very, very likely to
be kept in a vault somewhere as an investment. Not carried around
*in one's pocket*.

Moron.

>> Is it your claim that - assuming the incident happened as
>> related - they three (sic) gold coins because they had nothing
>> else?
>
> My claim is that it never happened as related.

And that reason you gave is the unlikelyhood of anyone carrying
around 2 days worth of their income in cash. Which is a stupid
claim.

>> No, it's your claim that people carrying 2 days of income on
>> their persons in cash on their person is unusual. Which is a
>> *stupid* claim now, and very likely then, as well.
>
> Where did I claim that?

The the post I replied to, retard.

Let me quote from Message-ID: <XnsADD9658398DBtaustincagmailcom@
85.12.62.232>, retard:

> In 1910, the average annual wage in Germany was about 1000
> marks. So each of those dime-sized coins equated to over 2 days
> of labor. Even for the idle rich, that's a lot of money to pay
> for what was effectively street entertainment.

Two pays pay for the average person is less than $300. Quite a lot
of people carry that much in cash. And plenty of people do, in
fact, tip large amounts for what is described as a spectacular
event like that.

> Have an 8-year old read you what I
> wrote: "As for people carrying gold coins, yes, it did occur,
> much like people will carry $100 bills even today."

Stop lying about what you said, retard. But you won't, because
you're too fucking childish to admit you said something *stupid*.
Comes from having a small penis, I suppose.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<r24GxB.1vtu@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64041&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64041

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:22:23 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:22 UTC

In article <d264f408-bfcf-4720-b1e0-6896d8bde325n@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 11:10:03 AM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> Well, his romantic ideas were encouraged by a trio of
>> unscrupulous people who wanted to kill him before he married a
>> foolish old woman for her money.
>
>How strange. You would think they would want to kill him _after_
>he married the foolish old woman for her money, so they could
>steal the money from him...

Hm. But if she was left a widow for the second time, there would
always be another handsome young man who was willing to marry a
middle-aged woman for her money.

>unless, of course, they were already in the business of stealing
>money from her. But then they would discourage his romantic
>ideas...

She was a widow with romantic illusions (about still being young
and romantic) with one son, who was one of the conspirators. She
planned to make a new will once she'd married the young man,
leaving everything to him, since her son had his father's farm.
But the son didn't like farming and was no good at it; he wanted
to be rich enough not to have to work at it.

At the end of the book, when the murderers have been arrested and
will probably be hanged, one of the detectives wishes they'd
never gotten involved; and the other said, "Last night [widow]
consented to dance with [handsome young man], and [son] didn't
like it at all. If [son and conspirators] went free, what odds
would you give on their lives--[widow's] and [young man's]?"

The author is Dorothy L. Sayers, the title is _Have His Carcase_,
and I invite you to find a dopy and read it; it's still in print.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<r24H0D.1vw7@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64042&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64042

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:24:13 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:24 UTC

In article <ubbbogl3sdnhal2che83k7mfrvtabq8pfr@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:43:35 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
><taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> But it is exactly
>>> the sort of lunacy that an REMF with an MBA would come up with.
>>
>>That, too, is true.
>>
>>Or it could be a joke. Abou REMFs with an MBA, who are, after all,
>>easy targets.
>
>Thanks I think.
>
>At least with my MBA I also met my MRS (we were married 8 months
>later) so close to 40 years later I probably shouldn't complain too
>much since while I love to sing orchestral numbers would prefer not to
>take the soprano role....

If you can sing falsetto, you and the Mrs. could sing the Flower
Duet together.

And congrats on the 40 years; Hal and I just celebrated our 50th.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<vfgbogto1kjblphpcmd1smcl8rjg997smo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64043&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64043

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 19:45:30 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:45 UTC

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 12:58:54 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> Michael Benveniste <m...@murkyether.com> wrote in
>> > In 1910, the average annual wage in Germany was about 1000
>> > marks. So each of those dime-sized coins equated to over 2 days
>> > of labor. Even for the idle rich, that's a lot of money to pay
>> > for what was effectively street entertainment.
>> >
>> Ridiculous. The average wage in the US last year was a bit under
>> $70,000. 2 days of their labor is under $300 (assuming a 40 hour
>> week). A *lot* of people carry that much in cash on a regular basis.
>> Hell, some people (that is, ordinarly middle class people) spend that
>> much on groceries every week.
>
>Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was common to
>carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to pay for things.

There is something called a "check" you know.

>I still keep
>two or three $100 bills in a hidden corner of my wallet for emergencies,
>and they've gotten me out of inconvenient situations a number of times.
>
>Pt

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<c514a835-eff1-4872-841d-30c40ec1563fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64044&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64044

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 18:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 01:22 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 5:45:34 PM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
> <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was common to
> >carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to pay for things.

> There is something called a "check" you know.

Yes, but it's so awkward to stand around at the cash register while
you're waiting for it to clear.

Or, in other words, while it is possible to pay for things by check at a
store under *some circumstances*, like:

- the merchant knows you personally,
- it's a big store, offering this service attracts more customers, and you
carry suitable identification (like years ago, local grocery stores let
people pay by check)
- we're talking about a major purchase, which might also be bought
on credit, such as an automobile

But if you're just passing through, or worse yet, you're a tourist from
another country even, there might be... some hesitancy.

John Savard

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<270ed0a4-1551-4537-ae97-b0ddf612793an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64045&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64045

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 19:34:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 02:34 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 7:45:34 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
> <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 12:58:54 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> >> Michael Benveniste <m...@murkyether.com> wrote in
> >> >
> >> Ridiculous. The average wage in the US last year was a bit under
> >> $70,000. 2 days of their labor is under $300 (assuming a 40 hour
> >> week). A *lot* of people carry that much in cash on a regular basis.
> >> Hell, some people (that is, ordinarly middle class people) spend that
> >> much on groceries every week.
> >
> >Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was common to
> >carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to pay for things.
> There is something called a "check" you know.

....and a ton of places wouldn't take them, especially from a stranger or someone
from out of town.

On top of that, it requires a bank account, and even now, plenty of people
don't have one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbanked
pt

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<XnsADD9C76E6E2D3taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64046&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64046

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 02:36:23 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 02:36 UTC

J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
> <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 12:58:54 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda
>>Jibini wrote:
>>> Michael Benveniste <m...@murkyether.com> wrote in
>>> >
>>> Ridiculous. The average wage in the US last year was a bit
>>> under $70,000. 2 days of their labor is under $300 (assuming a
>>> 40 hour week). A *lot* of people carry that much in cash on a
>>> regular basis. Hell, some people (that is, ordinarly middle
>>> class people) spend that much on groceries every week.
>>
>>Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was
>>common to carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to pay
>>for things.
>
> There is something called a "check" you know.

How common were they in 1912? Given the (fairly recent) history of
bank collapses, how many corner stores would even take them?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<XnsADD9C7BC09AEDtaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64047&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64047

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 02:38:10 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 02:38 UTC

Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 5:45:34 PM UTC-6, J. Clarke
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
>> <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was
>> >common to carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to
>> >pay for things.
>
>> There is something called a "check" you know.
>
> Yes, but it's so awkward to stand around at the cash register
> while you're waiting for it to clear.
>
> Or, in other words, while it is possible to pay for things by
> check at a store under *some circumstances*, like:
>
> - the merchant knows you personally,

And doesn't hate you.

> - it's a big store, offering this service attracts more
> customers, and you carry suitable identification (like years
> ago, local grocery stores let people pay by check)

Not any more. We're abandoning our check cashing service becuase it
literally costs more than the total value of the checks we get get
every month. That's on ~*80 million/year total sales.

Nobody uses checks nay more.

> - we're talking about a major purchase, which might also be
> bought on credit, such as an automobile

And that's probably a cashier's check, not a personal one.

> But if you're just passing through, or worse yet, you're a
> tourist from another country even, there might be... some
> hesitancy.

And more to the point, how common were they in 1912?

Try to focus.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<b33705ba-f9a3-45b4-a081-a1defa76470fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64048&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64048

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 20:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 03:42 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 12:17:04 PM UTC-5, mcdow...@sky.com wrote:
> [...]
> > I mean, this seems as though it's something basic that would have to be
> > possible before we could believe that this happened.
> >
> > Back in those days, nearly every country did mint gold coins.
> > But it was still true that for denominations larger than those of silver
> > coins, what was routinely used was paper money.
> >
> > I did some thinking about this, and I came up with a possible explanation.
> >
> > At one time, U.S. paper money stated, in addition to it being "legal tender
> > for all debts, public and private", that there was one exception to that:
> > payment on import duties.
> > The function of gold, even under the gold standard, was mainly for
> > exchanges between the central banks of different countries to
> > reconcile the case of a nonzero balance of payments.
> >
> > But combine that insight with this fact: back then, they didn't have
> > credit cards or travellers' cheques.
> >
> > One could, even back then, I suppose, go to a bank and change one's
> > money for that of another country. But it could be that the fees for
> > that service were high back then.
> > Obviously, just taking your own country's paper money to a foreign
> > merchant wouldn't work well. Such a merchant would be ill-equipped
> > to know if the money was genuine, and would not necessarily have
> > an idea of its value.
> > But gold coins... all you have to do is weigh them. (Yes, that's
> > oversimplified; one country's gold coins might be 10% copper,
> > and another country's gold coins might be 20% copper or
> > something...)
> > And back in those days, there were books published giving the
> > weight, fineness, and value of gold coins from all the different
> > countries around the world that issued them.
> >
> > Such as this one:
> > https://archive.org/details/petersonscomplet00tbpe
> >
> > And the chess game, in a German city, was between a Russian player
> > and an American one. So it's not unreasonable that many of the
> > spectators were international tourists, some of them from Russia
> > or the United States.
> >
> > So is this when someone, in 1910, or 1890, or thereabouts, would be
> > carrying gold coins in his pocket instead of paper money, because
> > that's how they handled transferring money between different
> > countries for individuals, not just between banks, in those days?
> >
> > John Savard
> According to many reports, the RAF issues gold sovereigns to pilots who might be shot down behind enemy lines so they can buy their way out of there (I did hear that there may be a change to credit cards somewhere along the line). The following link not only supports this, but points to a site that gives some insight into the typical humour of the UK armed forces - generally a lot more heavy-handed than in general society https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/because-you-never-know-when-20-gold-sovereigns-might.37670/ - come to think of it, that's obvious just from the domain name.

In Ian Fleming's _From Russia With Love_ James Bond was famously issued an attache case holding, along with a throwing
knife, spare ammunition, and a tear gas bomb, twenty gold sovereigns.

In _Dr. Strangelove_, in a damaged B-52 bomber over the Soviet Union, pilot in command Major T. J. "King" Kong has occasion
to review the contents of their escape and evasion kits with the crew:

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days'
concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills,
tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred
dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.
Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<16b4da7f307cef5c$1$3300346$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64049&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64049

Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 00:26:44 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: mhb...@murkyether.com (Michael Benveniste)
 by: Michael Benveniste - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 04:26 UTC

On 11/5/2021 7:05 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> Michael Benveniste <mhb@murkyether.com> wrote in
>
>> On 11/5/2021 4:22 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>>

>>> There is no dime-sized coin worth $300, moron.
>>
>> Bzzzt. Wrong.
>
> Do tell. Then let's add "in common circulation."

Dishonestly shifting the goal posts. What a shock.

>> My claim is that it never happened as related.
>
> And that reason you gave is the unlikelyhood of anyone carrying
> around 2 days worth of their income in cash. Which is a stupid
> claim.

Liar. You can't even quote correctly.

> The the post I replied to, retard.
>
> Let me quote from Message-ID: <XnsADD9658398DBtaustincagmailcom@
> 85.12.62.232>:

That's your post, not mine, where you snipped what I wrote.
Again, have an 8-year old read my post to you, oh illiterate one.

snews://news.usenetexpress.com:563/16b4a7dc13314a43703212601b3@news.usenetexpress.com

What I wrote is right there in the record. Too bad all you
can do is engage in name calling rather than admitting your
mistake. Goodbye.

--
Mike Benveniste -- mhb@murkyether.com (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing
stranger than truth. -- Annie Leibovitz

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<sm50t1$bpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64050&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64050

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:38:54 +1300
 by: Titus G - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 04:38 UTC

On 6/11/21 3:34 pm, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 7:45:34 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 15:53:30 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
>> <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Back before ATMs and credit cards (not so long ago), it was common to
>>> carry quite a lot of cash; it was the only way to pay for things.
>> There is something called a "check" you know.
>
> ...and a ton of places wouldn't take them, especially from a stranger or someone
> from out of town.
>
> On top of that, it requires a bank account, and even now, plenty of people
> don't have one:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbanked
> pt

Yes, and if prior to the spectacular checkmate, apparently astounded
spectators had already folded their generous cheques into paper darts so
they would arrive on the appropriate side of the chessboard,the accolade
would have been as sincere as the spontaneous applause each reader's
limbic system produces when a new post from (insert own choice here)
arrives.
Every poster including the lucid and polite Jibini, have misunderstood
the topic: "Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?" which
refers to the prevalence and competence of lawless pickpockets in an age
prior to the white man's global financial systems based on wisdom and
integrity conquering the prevalence and competence of lawless greed, a
chess game with many more pawns.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<i63cogtlpuffs1q1mn04k51fpvq6665kqd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64051&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64051

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:07:13 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 05:07 UTC

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:24:13 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:

>>At least with my MBA I also met my MRS (we were married 8 months
>>later) so close to 40 years later I probably shouldn't complain too
>>much since while I love to sing orchestral numbers would prefer not to
>>take the soprano role....
>
>If you can sing falsetto, you and the Mrs. could sing the Flower
>Duet together.
>
>And congrats on the 40 years; Hal and I just celebrated our 50th.

Thanks in advance - we were married in 1984 so have a ways to go yet.

Though to be fair she is driving the rest of the family crazy right
now being stridently in your face anti-vax and anti-mask and therefore
going out maybe twice a week. Subject to that she's fairly careful
BUT....

(And she was NOT impressed when I told her that before signing up for
my first shot I had talked my specialist's ear off concerning the
issues back last Feb/Mar before getting #1 in mid April. Note: I was
NOT getting my info from websites or even here...)

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<id3cog9vf2bfk9hmsn9dl2bhk65auel7q3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64052&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64052

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:09:32 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 05:09 UTC

On Sat, 06 Nov 2021 02:38:10 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>> - it's a big store, offering this service attracts more
>> customers, and you carry suitable identification (like years
>> ago, local grocery stores let people pay by check)
>
>Not any more. We're abandoning our check cashing service becuase it
>literally costs more than the total value of the checks we get get
>every month. That's on ~*80 million/year total sales.
>
>Nobody uses checks nay more.

Actually they're still pretty common in business to business mail
order transactions particularly with schools and school boards paying
their bills. (Personal experience at work within the last 3 years)

In person sales they've almost died out altogether.

Again I'm speaking as a small business owner here.

Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?

<oh3cogtl237nuvus7rfum821b65ksg5dfu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64053&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64053

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:12:46 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 05:12 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:38:54 +1300, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Yes, and if prior to the spectacular checkmate, apparently astounded
>spectators had already folded their generous cheques into paper darts so
>they would arrive on the appropriate side of the chessboard,the accolade
>would have been as sincere as the spontaneous applause each reader's
>limbic system produces when a new post from (insert own choice here)
>arrives.
>Every poster including the lucid and polite Jibini, have misunderstood
>the topic: "Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?" which
>refers to the prevalence and competence of lawless pickpockets in an age
>prior to the white man's global financial systems based on wisdom and
>integrity conquering the prevalence and competence of lawless greed, a
>chess game with many more pawns.

If you're expecting me to have that degree of knowledge as to what was
standard financial practice in the pre WW1 German empire then you're a
better man than I Gunga Din!

Now to be sure - chess grandmaster tournaments were mostly privately
sponsored at that time and tended to be upscale events far more so
than in our era but still - I can't pretend to know what was stadard
practice in our great-grandparents' day.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Why Would Anyone Have Gold Coins in His Pocket?