Horner's Five Thumb Postulate: Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: BT Digital Voice

SubjectAuthor
* BT Digital VoiceNorman Wells
+* Re: BT Digital VoiceBrian Gregory
|+- Re: BT Digital VoiceJeff Layman
|+* Re: BT Digital VoiceMark Carver
||+* Re: BT Digital VoiceNorman Wells
|||+* Re: BT Digital VoiceAndy Burns
|||`* Re: BT Digital VoiceMB
||| +* Re: BT Digital VoiceTweed
||| +* Re: BT Digital Voicecharles
||| +* Re: BT Digital VoiceTim+
||| +- Re: BT Digital VoiceR. Mark Clayton
||| `* Re: BT Digital VoiceTony Gamble
||`- Re: BT Digital VoiceBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: BT Digital VoiceBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: BT Digital VoiceSH
+- Re: BT Digital VoiceBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: BT Digital VoicePamela
+* Re: BT Digital Voicetim...
`- Re: BT Digital VoiceVir Campestris

Pages:12345678910
Re: BT Digital Voice

<t7qdmgp1d3g9hgib7eitrenfekcrg2ipju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27471&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27471

From: reply_to...@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: BT Digital Voice
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:56:36 +0100
 by: BrightsideS9 - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:56 UTC

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 11:41:59 +0100, "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Tony Gamble" <tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> "My HUB6 has not telephone socket so they will presumably to replace it?
>>
>> I think there is going a massive reaction against this change because most
>> people have a phone that was installed many years ago, they do not want to
>> have start messing around with it. If BT want to transfer them to digital
>> then it is up to BT to do any work necessary though I would prefer to stay
>> on a land line connection because I don't want to start running mains
>> extension leads around the house or having to an extra mains socket
>> fitted. "
>
>realistically you wont do that
>
>you'll just move the phone somewhere else in the room

ISTR that the BT NTE5c with a MK4 faceplate solves the extension
problem. The NTE5C is designed to be installed or replace older NTEs
by the user, not BT. It is really very easy. Only a small
screwdriver is needed. (punchdown tool not needed).

Replace old NTE with NTE5c and MK4 faceplate with extension wiring
connected to the correct connectors (extensions are isolated by
inbuilt filter in MK4 faceplate.).

Now here is the trick the socket on the faceplate used normally for
plugging in the analogue telephone has extra connections. Pins 1 and 6
are in there on the OPPOSITE side from the pins 2,3,4 and 5.

These pins 1 and 6 are connected to the extension connections in the
MK4 faceplate. Hence to use this facility there must be a special
cable to go from an ATA socket on the back of a router to the socket
on the MK4 faceplate.

The end result is all extension wiring left as is, NTE in same place,
connection to the new router from NTE faceplate just the same as
before, AND a new cable going back to the NTE phone socket from the
ATA port of the router using the pins 1 and 6. If you want a phone
next to the router plug in 2 way telephone adapter into ATA socket.
router.

Beware. Plugging a two way phone adapter into the faceplate socket.
can cause irreparable damage. Some adapters have recesses on the back
side where the now used pins 1 and 6 are. The only way to remove the
adapter is brute force pulling these extra pins out of the faceplate.
Been there done that and got the T shirt.

I say ISTR because I don't have extension wiring, just two analogue
phones plugged into the MK4 face plate (minus its pins 1 and 6).

I think there is a SIN around somewhere explaining all this, and
things may have changed since I did mine some time ago..

NTE5c and MK4 faceplate are cheap enough.

--
bright side S9

Re: BT Digital Voice

<8d910219-5585-fcec-08b8-a23158111057@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27484&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27484

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:00:29 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:00 UTC

On 13/10/2021 14:19, Tony Gamble wrote:
> I'd love to know where that 20% and 40% figure comes from.

USwitch survey earlier this year. I don't have a link to their report
and raw data but the figures I quoted were published widely at the
time. Eg

"Meanwhile, four in five homes have a landline, but more than a quarter
don't have a handset attached."

<https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-9495695/Number-homes-landline-fallen-4m-20-years.html>

"40% of us have stopped using a landline phone altogether, according to
new survey from price comparison site Uswitch".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56831212

--
Robin

Re: BT Digital Voice

<01qemg5bt4indbqd4t7r2pt8lqhjiike81@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27496&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27496

From: reply_to...@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:14:03 +0100
 by: BrightsideS9 - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:14 UTC

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:43:41 +0100, Roderick Stewart
<rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:35:03 +0100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>BT have said they are not keeping their POTS (copper wire) service beyond
>>2025. They won't make exceptions for 'luddites'.
>
>That might seem like a long time, but I reckon most people will know
>nothing about this until the day it happens.
>
>Which means that as well as millions of people with computers that are
>insecure because Windows 10 is no longer supported and they can't be
>upgraded to Windows 11 (more than 50% of them can't apparently), their
>phones won't work either. 2025 will be a busy year.

Sadly mine cannot be upgraded, wrong AMD [processor. Its done 14
years

Re: BT Digital Voice

<ispvu0F76plU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27498&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27498

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:10:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:10 UTC

Tony Gamble wrote:

> Someone yesterday suggested there would be masses of folk offering to come into
> your home and tinker with the wiring. Are BT really going to accept that

The internal wiring isn't BT's, that's the whole point of the master socket,
their bit is up to the socket, your bit is afterwards. With VoIP they're saying
the socket on the wall is where you plug your router, the socket on the router
is where you plug your phone.

If you have extensions, that's down to you, or whoever you want to pay to do it
for you, I suspect for most people it simply means plug the DECT basestation
into the green socket.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isq6pgF8f1lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27502&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27502

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:07:11 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:07 UTC

But my router is a BT device - with no green socket.

What do they do for me?

If supplying a different socket, as someone described yesterday, keeps
the internal wiring live it might be a cheaper option for BT? It would
certainly save me the cost of buying two more DECT phones.

Tony

On 14/10/2021 07:10, Andy Burns wrote:
> Tony Gamble wrote:
>
>> Someone yesterday suggested there would be masses of folk offering to
>> come into your home and tinker with the wiring. Are BT really going to
>> accept that
>
> The internal wiring isn't BT's, that's the whole point of the master
> socket, their bit is up to the socket, your bit is afterwards.  With
> VoIP they're saying the socket on the wall is where you plug your
> router, the socket on the router is where you plug your phone.
>
> If you have extensions, that's down to you, or whoever you want to pay
> to do it for you, I suspect for most people it simply means plug the
> DECT basestation into the green socket.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isq6vnF8fopU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27503&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27503

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:10:30 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:10 UTC

Tony Gamble wrote:

> But my router is a BT device - with no green socket.
> What do they do for me?

most likely send you one.

> If supplying a different socket, as someone described yesterday, keeps the
> internal wiring live it might be a cheaper option for BT? It would certainly
> save me the cost of buying two more DECT phones.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isq7abF8i7bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27506&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27506

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:16:10 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:16 UTC

Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
supply as 2021 turkeys?

I looked at the socket BT put in a couple of years ago when I moved to a
business broadband contract and I saw it had two 'holes'. My router is
plugged in to the top one. Is the bottom one intended to deal with this
suggestion that the internal wiring can be kept live?

On 14/10/2021 09:10, Andy Burns wrote:
> Tony Gamble wrote:
>
>> But my router is a BT device - with no green socket.
>> What do they do for me?
>
> most likely send you one.
>
>> If supplying a different socket, as someone described yesterday, keeps
>> the internal wiring live it might be a cheaper option for BT? It would
>> certainly save me the cost of buying two more DECT phones.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isq7qpF8lu0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27508&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27508

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:24:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:24 UTC

Tony Gamble wrote:

> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a supply as
> 2021 turkeys?
>
> I looked at the socket BT put in a couple of years ago when I moved to a
> business broadband contract and I saw it had two 'holes'. My router is plugged
> in to the top one. Is the bottom one intended to deal with this suggestion that
> the internal wiring can be kept live?

unless it's green, the bottom hole is for a normal phone to be connected, but
the faceplate can be swapped ... but it sounds likely your extensions are wired
to that socket in the first place.

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/openreach-VRI-faceplate.jpg>

Who knows, you might be swapped to FTTP before then?

Re: BT Digital Voice

<jgofmgl0rhvktn35eea2ef83fpdsrccvs3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27510&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27510

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:39:02 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:39 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:14:03 +0100, BrightsideS9
<reply_to_address_is_not@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:43:41 +0100, Roderick Stewart
><rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:35:03 +0100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>BT have said they are not keeping their POTS (copper wire) service beyond
>>>2025. They won't make exceptions for 'luddites'.
>>
>>That might seem like a long time, but I reckon most people will know
>>nothing about this until the day it happens.
>>
>>Which means that as well as millions of people with computers that are
>>insecure because Windows 10 is no longer supported and they can't be
>>upgraded to Windows 11 (more than 50% of them can't apparently), their
>>phones won't work either. 2025 will be a busy year.
>>

>Sadly mine cannot be upgraded, wrong AMD [processor. Its done 14
>years

Same here. Mine's the latest one on Microsoft's list that they won't
support. If it was the next one - a 3400G instead of a 2400G - then
that would be fine, but not the older one. I only built this computer
a few years ago and its performance is more than good enough for my
needs, so I reckon it has potentially many more years of life left in
it except for Microsoft's apparently arbitrary decision.

Of the other two essential requirements, TPM and Secure Boot (whatever
they do) mine would also fail on the later. It's got TPM apparently,
though I've never switched it on, and the only way I could install
Linux as a second boot was to disable Secure Boot also. I've never
used either of these things on any computer I've ever built, and never
noticed any ill effects as a consequence, so I'm not keen to jump
through more hoops in order to appease a technology company that
thinks I should do something for no obvious benefit to me.

They said they weren't going to do this didn't they? Windows 10 was
going to be the last version and would be supported for the life of
any computer it was installed on. So much for commercial promises.

Windows 10 being so widely used, there's a possibility they might
postpone the cutoff by a few years as they did with Windows XP, but
the end will come eventually. Then I have to decide whether to trash a
perfectly good computer and build a new one, or finally abandon
Windows altogether. Millions of others will be faced with the same
decision at the same time (which may affect Ebay prices for old
computers) and hundreds of millions more won't have thought about it
at all. The choice will effectively be Linux or landfill, so I wonder
what most people will do?

Rod.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isq9c8F8utmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27511&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27511

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:51:19 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:51 UTC

I suppose I could take off the faceplate and photograph what is inside.

I'm not sure what it would tell me though.

Certainly it is not green like the picture you sent.

On 14/10/2021 09:24, Andy Burns wrote:
> Tony Gamble wrote:
>
>> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
>> supply as 2021 turkeys?
>>
>> I looked at the socket BT put in a couple of years ago when I moved to
>> a business broadband contract and I saw it had two 'holes'. My router
>> is plugged in to the top one. Is the bottom one intended to deal with
>> this suggestion that the internal wiring can be kept live?
>
> unless it's green, the bottom hole is for a normal phone to be
> connected, but the faceplate can be swapped ... but it sounds likely
> your extensions are wired to that socket in the first place.
>
> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/openreach-VRI-faceplate.jpg>
>
> Who knows, you might be swapped to FTTP before then?

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isq9l4F8vuaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27514&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27514

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:56:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:56 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> the bottom hole is for a normal phone to be connected, but
> the faceplate can be swapped ... but it sounds

un

> likely your extensions are wired
> to that socket in the first place.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27517&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27517

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:16:50 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:16 UTC

On 14/10/2021 09:16, Tony Gamble wrote:
> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
> supply as 2021 turkeys?

No, because the vast majority of the population will have ditched
having, or needing 'that badly'  a 'landline' phone by then.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27519&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27519

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:31:43 -0000 (UTC)
<isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:13ZKnr0bdzVCdDAWkwwmbufA2bU=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:31 UTC

Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 14/10/2021 09:16, Tony Gamble wrote:
>> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
>> supply as 2021 turkeys?
>>
> No, because the vast majority of the population will have ditched
> having, or needing 'that badly'  a 'landline' phone by then.

It wouldn’t surprise me if BT and the other major suppliers offer a hub
with an integrated DECT base station and perhaps the offer of a handset for
very little extra money. Fritzbox routers already offer integrated DECT
base stations, so it’s not exactly a bleeding edge idea. A single DECT
handset is around £20. A lot easier than faffing around with extension
wiring. This will cover the vast bulk of users who still wish to have a
landline.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isqerfFa05eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27525&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27525

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:24:46 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:24 UTC

What a brilliant idea.

I looked on Google and also came across a system by which you can leave
your cellphone on your desk and using a bluetooth device connect it to
your DECT phones in other rooms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=syncronise+dect+phones&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=AOaemvJ93J2MCREOjLpDz7IdKlLv4UNmCg%3A1634205772821&ei=TABoYeG8MZHfkwWHx66oAg&ved=0ahUKEwjhktD00snzAhWR76QKHYejCyUQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=syncronise+dect+phones&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgjELADECc6BwgAEEcQsAM6BAgjECc6BQgAEJECOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6CwguEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARDRAzoECAAQQzoLCC4QxwEQ0QMQkQI6CAgAEIAEELEDOggILhCABBCxAzoOCC4QsQMQxwEQ0QMQkQI6BwgAELEDEEM6CgguEMcBENEDEEM6BAguEEM6CwguEIAEEMcBEK8BOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoFCAAQgAQ6EAguELEDEMcBENEDEEMQkwI6CggAELEDELEDEEM6CggAELEDEIMBEEM6BwguELEDEAo6BwgAELEDEAo6BAgAEAo6BwgAEIAEEAo6DAgAEIAEEAoQRhD5AToHCAAQyQMQCjoFCAAQkgM6CQgAEAoQRhD5AToGCAAQFhAeOggIABAWEAoQHjoICAAQCBANEB46CAghEBYQHRAeOgcIIRAKEKABSgQIQRgAUJAYWOdaYKFgaAFwAngAgAGKAYgB2BKSAQQ3LjE1mAEAoAEByAEJwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_9gBoYf2mEJP5gQaxh6joBw7

This would be really useful for us as my wife does not want to carry her
mobile from room to room but her friends insist on calling her on that
number.

A bit OT for this thread - but I mention it as maybe someone had used
this system.

On 14/10/2021 10:31, Tweed wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 14/10/2021 09:16, Tony Gamble wrote:
>>> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
>>> supply as 2021 turkeys?
>>>
>> No, because the vast majority of the population will have ditched
>> having, or needing 'that badly'  a 'landline' phone by then.
>>

> It wouldn’t surprise me if BT and the other major suppliers offer a hub
> with an integrated DECT base station and perhaps the offer of a handset for
> very little extra money. Fritzbox routers already offer integrated DECT
> base stations, so it’s not exactly a bleeding edge idea. A single DECT
> handset is around £20. A lot easier than faffing around with extension
> wiring. This will cover the vast bulk of users who still wish to have a
> landline.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<597b3ca641charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27526&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27526

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:37:00 +0100
References: <ish2ocFg5rpU1@mid.individual.net> <ishnj3FjqacU1@mid.individual.net> <isi9k7Fn2hjU1@mid.individual.net> <isia6tFn5s1U1@mid.individual.net> <sk15an$nm0$1@dont-email.me> <isnib4FngujU1@mid.individual.net> <ispvu0F76plU1@mid.individual.net> <isq6pgF8f1lU1@mid.individual.net> <isq6vnF8fopU1@mid.individual.net> <isq7abF8i7bU1@mid.individual.net> <isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net> <sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>
 by: charles - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:37 UTC

In article <sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > On 14/10/2021 09:16, Tony Gamble wrote:
> >> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
> >> supply as 2021 turkeys?
> >>
> > No, because the vast majority of the population will have ditched
> > having, or needing 'that badly' a 'landline' phone by then.
> >

> It wouldn‘t surprise me if BT and the other major suppliers offer a hub
> with an integrated DECT base station and perhaps the offer of a handset
> for very little extra money. Fritzbox routers already offer integrated
> DECT base stations, so it‘s not exactly a bleeding edge idea. A single
> DECT handset is around £20. A lot easier than faffing around with
> extension wiring. This will cover the vast bulk of users who still wish
> to have a landline.

Not good in this house with 1900's brick walls. I have extension wiring and
DECT phones

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: BT Digital Voice

<sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27527&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27527

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:42:12 -0000 (UTC)
<isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net>
<sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>
<597b3ca641charles@candehope.me.uk>
sha1:RHduibP5NBWnnwExieHhlmW7cQM=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:42 UTC

charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>>
>>> No, because the vast majority of the population will have ditched
>>> having, or needing 'that badly' a 'landline' phone by then.
>>>

>> It wouldn‘t surprise me if BT and the other major suppliers offer a hub
>> with an integrated DECT base station and perhaps the offer of a handset
>> for very little extra money. Fritzbox routers already offer integrated
>> DECT base stations, so it‘s not exactly a bleeding edge idea. A single
>> DECT handset is around £20. A lot easier than faffing around with
>> extension wiring. This will cover the vast bulk of users who still wish
>> to have a landline.
>
> Not good in this house with 1900's brick walls. I have extension wiring and
> DECT phones

You can get DECT repeaters. I’ve used them at work.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<18be9d3f-8a4a-f79a-b631-60a36f0b5fe9@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27530&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27530

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:12:28 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:12 UTC

On 14/10/2021 10:31, Tweed wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 14/10/2021 09:16, Tony Gamble wrote:
>>> Fast forward to 2025 and wonder if DECT phones will be in as short a
>>> supply as 2021 turkeys?
>>>
>> No, because the vast majority of the population will have ditched
>> having, or needing 'that badly'  a 'landline' phone by then.
>>

> It wouldn’t surprise me if BT and the other major suppliers offer a hub
> with an integrated DECT base station and perhaps the offer of a handset for
> very little extra money. Fritzbox routers already offer integrated DECT
> base stations, so it’s not exactly a bleeding edge idea. A single DECT
> handset is around £20. A lot easier than faffing around with extension
> wiring. This will cover the vast bulk of users who still wish to have a
> landline.

The internet is a wonderful place where it's possible to see that BT
have made very clear what they are offering currently - including a free
phone or a free socket that plugs in anywhere and connects wirelessly to
the router

<https://shop.bt.com/other-pages/bt-customer-offers/bt-digital-voice-customer?ReferrerID=BTDV&utm_source=btcom&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=bt_digital_voice&utm_content=BTDV>

and loads of answers to questions about DV migration generally

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/digital-voice-migration

--
Robin

Re: BT Digital Voice

<597b3ff706charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27531&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27531

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:13:13 +0100
References: <ish2ocFg5rpU1@mid.individual.net> <ishnj3FjqacU1@mid.individual.net> <isi9k7Fn2hjU1@mid.individual.net> <isia6tFn5s1U1@mid.individual.net> <sk15an$nm0$1@dont-email.me> <isnib4FngujU1@mid.individual.net> <ispvu0F76plU1@mid.individual.net> <isq6pgF8f1lU1@mid.individual.net> <isq6vnF8fopU1@mid.individual.net> <isq7abF8i7bU1@mid.individual.net> <isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net> <sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me> <597b3ca641charles@candehope.me.uk> <sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>
 by: charles - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:13 UTC

In article <sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>
wrote:
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > In article <sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> It wouldn‘t surprise me if BT and the other major suppliers offer a
> >> hub with an integrated DECT base station and perhaps the offer of a
> >> handset for very little extra money. Fritzbox routers already offer
> >> integrated DECT base stations, so it‘s not exactly a bleeding edge
> >> idea. A single DECT handset is around £20. A lot easier than faffing
> >> around with extension wiring. This will cover the vast bulk of users
> >> who still wish to have a landline.
> >
> > Not good in this house with 1900's brick walls. I have extension wiring
> > and DECT phones
> >

> You can get DECT repeaters. I‘ve used them at work.

That might be the outcome in future

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: BT Digital Voice

<sk9586$ciq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27533&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27533

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:45:11 -0000 (UTC)
<isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net>
<sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>
<597b3ca641charles@candehope.me.uk>
<sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>
<597b3ff706charles@candehope.me.uk>
sha1:01FISdhB+QFeC+rV+MIKkVPCDU8=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:45 UTC

charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Not good in this house with 1900's brick walls. I have extension wiring
>>> and DECT phones
>>>

>> You can get DECT repeaters. I‘ve used them at work.
>
> That might be the outcome in future

Looks like BT’s advanced cordless phones use Wi-Fi (though they are very
cagey on the subject), so decent Wi-Fi coverage might be what’s needed.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<738ca6ab-757e-9cac-6b91-cf0711f42558@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27538&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27538

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:36:56 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:36 UTC

On 14/10/2021 12:45, Tweed wrote:
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
>> In article <sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You can get DECT repeaters. I‘ve used them at work.
>>
>> That might be the outcome in future
>>

> Looks like BT’s advanced cordless phones use Wi-Fi (though they are very
> cagey on the subject), so decent Wi-Fi coverage might be what’s needed.

ISTR they make clear both Advanced and Essential phones are DECT phones
with base stations that connect to the router wirelessly. I wouldn't
say it's cagey of them not to bother consumers with the frequencies and
channels they use but I've not gone looking for such details. Have BT
refused to disclose them?

--
Robin

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isqo9dFbojeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27539&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27539

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:05:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:05 UTC

Tony Gamble wrote:

> looked on Google and also came across a system by which you can leave your
> cellphone on your desk and using a bluetooth device connect it to your DECT
> phones in other rooms.

I have a Siemens/Gigaset base-station which has PSTN, multi-VoIP and bluetooth,
it will let you answer your mobile on a DECT handset (and maybe vive-versa? I
forget).

The audio quality of bluetooth drew universal complaints whenever I used it, so
I unlinked the mobile from it.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<sk9d00$glb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27543&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27543

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:57:20 -0000 (UTC)
<isqas2F96l5U1@mid.individual.net>
<sk8tdv$m84$1@dont-email.me>
<597b3ca641charles@candehope.me.uk>
<sk91i4$562$1@dont-email.me>
<597b3ff706charles@candehope.me.uk>
<sk9586$ciq$1@dont-email.me>
<738ca6ab-757e-9cac-6b91-cf0711f42558@outlook.com>
sha1:kgfxvyh42x4wYAkHf3UiBLE5PL4=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:57 UTC

Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 14/10/2021 12:45, Tweed wrote:
>> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

>>> That might be the outcome in future
>>>

>> Looks like BT’s advanced cordless phones use Wi-Fi (though they are very
>> cagey on the subject), so decent Wi-Fi coverage might be what’s needed.
>>

> ISTR they make clear both Advanced and Essential phones are DECT phones
> with base stations that connect to the router wirelessly. I wouldn't
> say it's cagey of them not to bother consumers with the frequencies and
> channels they use but I've not gone looking for such details. Have BT
> refused to disclose them?

Perhaps cagey is the wrong term, but in all their public facing blurb about
them they don’t seem to mention the word DECT. I’ve just downloaded the
user guide and it mentions pressing the WPS button on the router to pair.
So that led me to conclude they were Wi-Fi. But then right at the end it
gives the frequency range used, which are the DECT band. So presumably the
WPS button on a BT hub is dual purpose.

Re: BT Digital Voice

<2031987003.655916528.994107.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27547&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27547

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 14 Oct 2021 15:03:32 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:03 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Tony Gamble wrote:
>
>> But my router is a BT device - with no green socket.
>> What do they do for me?
>
> most likely send you one.

I’m sure this has been said *many times* in this thread already.

Top-posting Tony seems determined to whine non-stop about this no matter
what anyone says.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: BT Digital Voice

<isqvjrFd654U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27548&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27548

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 16:10:50 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:10 UTC

How rude Tim.

I am not whining non-stop.

But I do prefer to see what people answer without having to scroll
through a lot of text I have already read.

If I don't understand the answer I will then look at the text - just as
when I reply to an email I put my reply above the message I am replying to.

Sorry if it annoys you Tim.

Tony

On 14/10/2021 16:03, Tim+ wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Tony Gamble wrote:
>>
>>> But my router is a BT device - with no green socket.
>>> What do they do for me?
>>
>> most likely send you one.
>
> I’m sure this has been said *many times* in this thread already.
>
> Top-posting Tony seems determined to whine non-stop about this no matter
> what anyone says.
>
> Tim

Re: BT Digital Voice

<210313701.655919410.112079.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27551&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27551

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 14 Oct 2021 15:55:42 GMT
<isqvjrFd654U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:55 UTC

Tony Gamble <tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:
> How rude Tim.
>
> I am not whining non-stop.

You’ve been reassured over an over again but seem determined That This Can
Not Possibly Work.

> But I do prefer to see what people answer without having to scroll
> through a lot of text I have already read.

Your preference maybe but it makes a nonsense of the order of replies.
It’s been a USENET convention since the year dot for good reasons.
Ignoring those reason because you’re lazy or think you know better is rude.

> If I don't understand the answer I will then look at the text - just as
> when I reply to an email I put my reply above the message I am replying to.

That the egocentric approach. You assume that only you are reading and
responding to this thread. Works fine for emails, NOT for USENET where
threads have multiple contributors.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls