We are Microsoft. Unix is irrelevant. Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

SubjectAuthor
* "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"sms
+- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"nospam
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Wilf
> [...]
||| `* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Mayayana
|||  `- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Carlos E. R.
||`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Frank Slootweg
|| `* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"AJL
||  `- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Frank Slootweg
|+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Rod Speed
||`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"JF Mezei
|| `* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"sms
||  `- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"JF Mezei
|+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Chris
|`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"sms
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Joerg Lorenz
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"badgolferman
+* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Carlos E. R.
+- Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"Andy Burns
`* Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"badgolferman

Pages:1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132
Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shr5jo$61l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21230&group=comp.mobile.android#21230

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 14:52:57 -0700
<s5tr0ixs4j.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsjmkui.k1u.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>
<cl1s0ixj3l.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shg0rv$dkd$2@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.26EBCD8600B6E76270000558B38F@news.giganews.com>
<egis0ixpcp.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shgjic.n08.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <shglis$1qh9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjoohr.9ts.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shid6s$1r29$3@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjpf5s.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shioh1$pg9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjpvke.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shjdlc$12pa$2@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjrhed.gbi.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq7782Fa1c6U1@mid.individual.net>
<slrnsju1uk.oe9.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq9opgFp2jaU1@mid.individual.net>
<slrnsjvpub.8m5.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <ef951ixmm7.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<slrnsk0tqe.foq.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shqgmq$1r8p$3@gioia.aioe.org>
<hd871ixdjt.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shqvrr$66v$1@dont-email.me>
<ike71ixf5v.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
 by: AJL - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:52 UTC

On 9/14/2021 1:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 22.14, sms wrote:

>> It would make sense to follow Canada's lead and drop the penny

I haven't routinely carried any change for a long long time.

>> and drop the $1 bill,

I still use the $1 bill for tips. A $5 tip for an $8 car wash is a bit
much. And I haven't seen a $2 bill in a long time. Also small cash is
handy for the tip jars in many fast food places. However some of the
them now allow me to tip on the credit card screen so the tip jar
itself may become history...

>> and get the $1 coin into wider circulation,

I always hated the $1 coin. A bill is so much easier to handle. It was
never very popular here, perhaps for that reason.

>> There was a push by vending machine companies for wider use of $1
>> coin because of the hassle of paper money receptors, but this went
>> nowhere.

Most of the vending machines in my area handle paper money (and not just
$1 bills) just fine. Also many now take credit cards. And maybe phones?

> Yeah, having 1$ bills is strange. The smaller we have is the 5€ bill.
> There was talk of removing the cent, but several countries refused. I
> agree with keeping the cent, removing it would cause prices to rise a
> bit.

Our local zoo has 25 cent vending machines where you can buy food
pellets to feed the animals (fish, monkeys, giraffes, etc). Quite a
racket, a penny's worth of food for a quarter. Very popular though. And
the zoo being no fool has a bill taking machine that produce quarters by
the dozens nearby...

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<slrnsk26db.1no.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21231&group=comp.mobile.android#21231

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
<slrnsjmgfr.qsp.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <s5tr0ixs4j.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:52:43 +0200
 by: Rob - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:52 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> Yeah, having 1$ bills is strange. The smaller we have is the 5€ bill.
> There was talk of removing the cent, but several countries refused. I
> agree with keeping the cent, removing it would cause prices to rise a bit.

The 1 and 2 cent coins are rarely used here, all total amounts are
rounded to 5 cent in most stores (when paying cash).

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shr8oq$jl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21232&group=comp.mobile.android#21232

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 22:46:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:02OKVffeNl1Xf0kjWbBHYJ7cqCI=
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 22:46 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> <https://www.techradar.com/news/barely-anyone-is-using-apple-pay-in-stores-anymore>
>
> "New research released Tuesday by PYMNTS.com found that only 6% of
> shoppers with iPhones in the US had used the platform to pay for their
> in-store purchases at some point in the past year."
>
> They don't talk about Google Pay or Samsung Pay but I suspect that the
> numbers are even lower for those systems, see
> <https://www.statista.com/statistics/722213/user-base-of-leading-digital-wallets-nfc/>.
> Even though there are a lot more Android devices in the world than iOS
> devices, Apple Pay has more users than Google Pay and Samsung Pay
> combined (and many of the Samsung Pay users are probably also part of
> the Google Pay number and vice-versa).
>
> This 6% number surprised me since in my area paying with your phone
> appears to be at a much higher level than 6%, But I live in Silicon
> Valley where people are more tech-savvy.
>
> The increase in contactless credit cards has apparently been responsible
> for the general lack of interest in paying with a phone.
>
> Personally I use Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay, whenever
> possible, for multiple reasons:
>
> 1. I have a Visa card that pays 3% cash back on mobile wallet purchases,
> but the highest cash-back physical card I have pays only 2% cash back.
>
> 2. At least on my Samsung phone, mobile payment with Google Pay and
> Samsung Pay is faster than fishing a credit card out my wallet. The
> iPhone is a bit of a pain right now due to mask requirements in stores,
> though I could always use my Apple Watch.
>
> 3. I don't need to carry so many cards in my wallet.
>
> 4. It is safer, since if I lose my phone no one is likely to be able to
> get into the phone to use mobile payment.
>
> Samsung Pay is especially nice, since as
> <https://www.pymnts.com/apple-pay-tracker/2021/7-years-later-6pct-people-with-iphones-in-us-use-apple-pay-in-store/>
>
> states, 70% of merchants support Apple Pay, which leaves 30% that do
> not. A couple of times a month I end up using Samsung Pay at a merchant
> that doesn't support Apple Pay or Google Pay (just happened on September
> 6th 2021).
>
> When I was in Europe and China in 2019, mobile wallet payment seemed to
> be the default, though in China it was only AliPay and WeChat Pay, there
> was no place I went that took Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay. I
> went into the Apple Store in Shanghai, but I didn't buy anything, I
> suppose that they probably took Apple Pay.
>
> One annoying thing in the U.S. is that using mobile wallet in a sit-down
> restaurant it is often not easy since unlike in Europe they generally
> don't bring a mobile terminal to your table.

I use Apple Pay at Food Lion grocery store. Sometimes I use it at Rite Aid
drugstore. Of the places I go there aren’t many that take Apple Pay.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920211849373173%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21233&group=comp.mobile.android#21233

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:49:37 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 22:49 UTC

In article <shr8oq$jl$1@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Apple Pay at Food Lion grocery store. Sometimes I use it at Rite Aid
> drugstore. Of the places I go there aren¹t many that take Apple Pay.

totally opposite here. everywhere takes apple pay, other than known
holdouts like walmart because they want their own system.

some think they don't, but they probably do.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shr9v5$6ql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21234&group=comp.mobile.android#21234

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:07:14 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:07 UTC

On 9/14/2021 3:46 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> I use Apple Pay at Food Lion grocery store. Sometimes I use it at Rite Aid
> drugstore. Of the places I go there aren’t many that take Apple Pay.

The places I go that don't take Apple Pay or Google Pay are
• Home Depot
• Lowe's
• Walmart
• Daiso (used to take NFC payments but no more)
• Kaiser pharmacy (takes Samsung Pay)
• Pool supply store (takes Samsung Pay)
• HD Supply (takes Samsung Pay)

All the supermarkets around here that I've gone to accept it, even the
small ethnic markets.

We don't have any Kroger stores like Fred Meyer or Ralph's in my area,
but I know that they don't take Apple Pay or Google Pay, but do take
Samsung Pay. For some reason Kroger has only a tiny presence in Northern
California.

Eventually stores will do away with their mag-stripe readers and then
support for Samsung Pay will go away.

Apple Pay was probably instrumental in encouraging banks to issue
contactless credit cards, in an effort to discourage use of Apple Pay,
so they don't have to pay Apple its 0.15% cut.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920211926014202%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21235&group=comp.mobile.android#21235

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:26:01 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:26 UTC

In article <shr9v5$6ql$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Eventually stores will do away with their mag-stripe readers and then
> support for Samsung Pay will go away.

not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
payment terminals must be able to read them.

> Apple Pay was probably instrumental in encouraging banks to issue
> contactless credit cards, in an effort to discourage use of Apple Pay,
> so they don't have to pay Apple its 0.15% cut.

that's completely wrong.

banks are *encouraging* the use of apple pay because losses due to
fraud are significantly less, even with apple's fee.

you brag about your card bonusing apple pay. if banks wanted to
discourage it, they would not do that.

also, the exact amount of apple's take not public, so your 0.15% is
baseless.

contactless is part of the emv standard. it would have happened
independent of apple pay.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<kao71ixaq6.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21236&group=comp.mobile.android#21236

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:37:24 +0200
<slrnsjmkui.k1u.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <cl1s0ixj3l.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shg0rv$dkd$2@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.26EBCD8600B6E76270000558B38F@news.giganews.com>
<egis0ixpcp.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shgjic.n08.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <shglis$1qh9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjoohr.9ts.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shid6s$1r29$3@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjpf5s.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shioh1$pg9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjpvke.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shjdlc$12pa$2@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjrhed.gbi.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq7782Fa1c6U1@mid.individual.net>
<slrnsju1uk.oe9.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq9opgFp2jaU1@mid.individual.net>
<slrnsjvpub.8m5.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <ef951ixmm7.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<slrnsk0tqe.foq.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shqgmq$1r8p$3@gioia.aioe.org>
<hd871ixdjt.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shqvrr$66v$1@dont-email.me>
<ike71ixf5v.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsk26db.1no.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:37 UTC

On 14/09/2021 23.52, Rob wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> Yeah, having 1$ bills is strange. The smaller we have is the 5€ bill.
>> There was talk of removing the cent, but several countries refused. I
>> agree with keeping the cent, removing it would cause prices to rise a bit.
>
> The 1 and 2 cent coins are rarely used here, all total amounts are
> rounded to 5 cent in most stores (when paying cash).

Yes, shops do that.

However, there are other things that are adjusted to the cent. For
example, gasoline today is 1.487€/litre at a nearby station. A person
can purchase 10 litres of gasoline and pay in cash 14 euros and 87 cents
exactly. If he pays 15€ exact, he can demand be given back the exact
change to the cent.

Thus they must have the cash available on the box. It is the law, they
can not adjust to the 5 cents, unless they do so in favour of the
client, paying him the excess *always*, which results in loses for the
station.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<4ho71ixaq6.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21237&group=comp.mobile.android#21237

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:40:52 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:40 UTC

On 15/09/2021 01.26, nospam wrote:
> In article <shr9v5$6ql$1@dont-email.me>, sms
> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Eventually stores will do away with their mag-stripe readers and then
>> support for Samsung Pay will go away.
>
> not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
> magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
> payment terminals must be able to read them.

I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
either chip or contactless.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920211947512826%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21238&group=comp.mobile.android#21238

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:47:51 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:47 UTC

In article <4ho71ixaq6.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Eventually stores will do away with their mag-stripe readers and then
> >> support for Samsung Pay will go away.
> >
> > not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
> > magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
> > payment terminals must be able to read them.
>
> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
> either chip or contactless.

then those with cards that have only a magstripe will be shopping
elsewhere.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<hdr71ix768.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21239&group=comp.mobile.android#21239

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 02:30:09 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:30 UTC

On 15/09/2021 01.47, nospam wrote:

>>> not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
>>> magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
>>> payment terminals must be able to read them.
>>
>> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
>> either chip or contactless.
>
> then those with cards that have only a magstripe will be shopping
> elsewhere.

There are no such cards here.

Maybe on big places they keep one old terminal for obsolete cards
brought by Americans :-P

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shrfe8$1ro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21240&group=comp.mobile.android#21240

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:40:38 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:40 UTC

On 9/14/2021 4:40 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 01.26, nospam wrote:
>> In article <shr9v5$6ql$1@dont-email.me>, sms
>> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Eventually stores will do away with their mag-stripe readers and then
>>> support for Samsung Pay will go away.
>>
>> not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
>> magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
>> payment terminals must be able to read them.
>
> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
> either chip or contactless.

nospam is wrong of course™.

There are almost no credit or debit cards still being issued, and few
still in use, that don't have an EMV chip. Similarly, most new credit
cards being issued are also contactless.

It's already very rare to find a brick and mortar business that doesn't
have a chip reader terminal since it's required if they want to be
reimbursed for fraudulent transactions. If you try to use the magstripe
on a chip reader terminal, and the card has a chip, it won't work,
you'll be prompted to insert the card into the chip reader.

In 2024, new credit cards will no longer be required to have mag stripes.

<https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/18/investing/mastercard-magnetic-stripes/index.html>

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<6cs71ix1m8.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21241&group=comp.mobile.android#21241

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 02:46:29 +0200
<shf69o$h3k$1@dont-email.me> <topr0ixkgh.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<slrnsjmgfr.qsp.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <s5tr0ixs4j.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<slrnsjmkui.k1u.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <cl1s0ixj3l.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shg0rv$dkd$2@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.26EBCD8600B6E76270000558B38F@news.giganews.com>
<egis0ixpcp.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shgjic.n08.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <shglis$1qh9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<975t0ixb09.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shgqfh$1id1$2@gioia.aioe.org>
<shhsjl$dpn$1@dont-email.me> <b3du0ixavf.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shi72d$l9p$1@dont-email.me> <2rsu0ixqmk.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shj6g7$9hm$1@dont-email.me> <shj7bd$mar$1@dont-email.me>
<jrm31ix4um.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <sho0op$49b$1@dont-email.me>
<sho2ft$ipt$1@gioia.aioe.org> <130920211351471172%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<sbg41ix83u.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<130920211439353224%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:46 UTC

On 13/09/2021 20.39, nospam wrote:

>>> it just became much more than a pastime in texas, where people can make
>>> $10,000 by reporting their neighbors...
>>>

>> Why? I suppose it means reporting that turns out to be on something big,
>> like the next secret lab of Walter White?
>
> texas just passed a law where someone can get $10,000 by reporting
> *anyone* involved in a woman getting an abortion, including a rideshare
> driver who may not even know the reason he's taking someone somewhere.
>
> uber and lyft have established a legal defense fund in the event one of
> their drivers is sued, and for $10k, that is a very real possibility.
>
> it's a very devious end-run around the constitution and has already
> been challenged.
>
> although the texas law is about abortion, it could easily be rewritten
> for just about anything else.

madnes :-!

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shrgmj$5eq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21242&group=comp.mobile.android#21242

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:02:11 +1200
References: <cf7q0ixaj.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <topr0ixkgh.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsjmgfr.qsp.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <s5tr0ixs4j.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsjmkui.k1u.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <cl1s0ixj3l.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <egis0ixpcp.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shglis$1qh9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjoohr.9ts.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shid6s$1r29$3@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjpf5s.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shioh1$pg9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjpvke.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shjdlc$12pa$2@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjrhed.gbi.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <slrnsju1uk.oe9.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <slrnsjvpub.8m5.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <ef951ixmm7.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsk0tqe.foq.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shqgmq$1r8p$3@gioia.aioe.org> <hd871ixdjt.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <ike71ixf5v.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsk26db.1no.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>
 by: Your Name - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:02 UTC

On 2021-09-14 21:52:43 +0000, Rob said:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> Yeah, having 1$ bills is strange. The smaller we have is the 5€ bill.
>> There was talk of removing the cent, but several countries refused. I
>> agree with keeping the cent, removing it would cause prices to rise a bit.
>
> The 1 and 2 cent coins are rarely used here, all total amounts are
> rounded to 5 cent in most stores (when paying cash).

Here in New Zealand 1c and 2c coins were removed from circulation back
in 1990. The 5c coins were removed in 2006. The lowest we now have are
the 10c coins, followed by 20c, 50c, $1, and $2 coins. That means cash
payments have to be rounded to 10c (it up to the individual business
whether 5c is rounded up or down, but usually it's down). After that
there are the notes for $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100.

If you're paying by a card or electronic system, then of course you can
still pay prices like $19.87. Banks here stopped accepting cheques this
year.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shrgrq$6uc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21243&group=comp.mobile.android#21243

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:04:58 +1200
 by: Your Name - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:04 UTC

On 2021-09-14 23:40:52 +0000, Carlos E. R. said:
> On 15/09/2021 01.26, nospam wrote:
>> In article <shr9v5$6ql$1@dont-email.me>, sms
>> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Eventually stores will do away with their mag-stripe readers and then
>>> support for Samsung Pay will go away.
>>
>> not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
>> magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
>> payment terminals must be able to read them.
>
> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
> either chip or contactless.

Some place still have the old manual carbon copy slider machine
(nicknamed a "zip-zap" machine) that require a signature, that's why
credit cards still have raised numbers and details. :-)

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shrh1k$8o4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21244&group=comp.mobile.android#21244

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:08:04 -0700
<slrnsjmkui.k1u.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <cl1s0ixj3l.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shg0rv$dkd$2@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.26EBCD8600B6E76270000558B38F@news.giganews.com>
<egis0ixpcp.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<shgjic.n08.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <shglis$1qh9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjoohr.9ts.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shid6s$1r29$3@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjpf5s.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shioh1$pg9$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjpvke.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shjdlc$12pa$2@gioia.aioe.org>
<slrnsjrhed.gbi.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq7782Fa1c6U1@mid.individual.net>
<slrnsju1uk.oe9.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq9opgFp2jaU1@mid.individual.net>
<slrnsjvpub.8m5.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <ef951ixmm7.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
<slrnsk0tqe.foq.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shqgmq$1r8p$3@gioia.aioe.org>
<hd871ixdjt.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shqvrr$66v$1@dont-email.me>
<ike71ixf5v.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shr5jo$61l$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:08 UTC

On 09/14/2021 02:52 PM, AJL wrote:
> On 9/14/2021 1:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 14/09/2021 22.14, sms wrote:
>
>>> It would make sense to follow Canada's lead and drop the penny
>
> I haven't routinely carried any change for a long long time.

I need quarters for the Aldi shopping carts.

>>> and drop the $1 bill,

So then nothing is cheaper than $5.00? No.

> I still use the $1 bill for tips. A $5 tip for an $8 car wash is a bit
> much. And I haven't seen a $2 bill in a long time. Also small cash is
> handy for the tip jars in many fast food places. However some of the
> them now allow me to tip on the credit card screen so the tip jar
> itself may become history...
>
>>> and get the $1 coin into wider circulation,
>
> I always hated the $1 coin. A bill is so much easier to handle. It was
> never very popular here, perhaps for that reason.

We used to go to yard sales. I carried $1s and quarters, which covered
pretty much everything we wanted to buy. I was deeply resentful when I
bought stamps from a machine and was given change in $1 coins. What
idiot wants to carry $20 in coins in a pocket or purse?

--
Cheers, Bev
If it weren't for pain, we wouldn't have any fun at all.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<7au71ix1g9.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21245&group=comp.mobile.android#21245

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:19:35 +0200
[...]
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:19 UTC

On 15/09/2021 03.08, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 09/14/2021 02:52 PM, AJL wrote:
>> On 9/14/2021 1:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> I always hated the $1 coin. A bill is so much easier to handle. It was
>> never very popular here, perhaps for that reason.
>
> We used to go to yard sales.  I carried $1s and quarters, which covered
> pretty much everything we wanted to buy.  I was deeply resentful when I
> bought stamps from a machine and was given change in $1 coins.  What
> idiot wants to carry $20 in coins in a pocket or purse?

It should be 1$ coin, 2$ coin, the 5$ bill and 10$ bill. Not 20·1$ coins.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<ucu71ix1g9.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21246&group=comp.mobile.android#21246

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:21:02 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:21 UTC

On 15/09/2021 03.04, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-09-14 23:40:52 +0000, Carlos E. R. said:
>> On 15/09/2021 01.26, nospam wrote:

>>> not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
>>> magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
>>> payment terminals must be able to read them.
>>
>> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
>> either chip or contactless.
>
> Some place still have the old manual carbon copy slider machine
> (nicknamed a "zip-zap" machine) that require a signature, that's why
> credit cards still have raised numbers and details.  :-)

AFAIK that's credit only. No feedback, risky.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920212125274132%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21247&group=comp.mobile.android#21247

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:25:27 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:25 UTC

In article <shrfe8$1ro$1@dont-email.me>, sms

> >> not for a *very* long time, since there are cards that only have
> >> magstripe and will be for the foreseeable future, which means the
> >> payment terminals must be able to read them.
> >
> > I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
> > either chip or contactless.
>
> sms is wrong of course.

ftfy

> There are almost no credit or debit cards still being issued, and few
> still in use, that don't have an EMV chip. Similarly, most new credit
> cards being issued are also contactless.

nearly all gift cards and prepaid/reloadable cards do not have a chip.
it's going to be a very long time until all of them do.

the mastercard/visa/amex prepaid cards can be used at any store that
accepts those cards.

<https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5c5dbb8de8ba44105ed231ec/
1556545928392-8BPIFJDH95ZKAA1NKLDU/visa+gift+card.JPG>

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920212125284190%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21248&group=comp.mobile.android#21248

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:25:28 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:25 UTC

In article <hdr71ix768.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.

> >> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
> >> either chip or contactless.
> >
> > then those with cards that have only a magstripe will be shopping
> > elsewhere.
> >

> There are no such cards here.

no gift cards?

<https://www.staterbros.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Giftcards_IMG_487
6_SB_600x800.jpg>

nearly all gift/prepaid cards do not have chips due to the additional
cost.

some are specific to one store, while the mastercard/visa/amex prepaid
cards can be used at any store that accepts those cards.

<https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5c5dbb8de8ba44105ed231ec/
1556545928392-8BPIFJDH95ZKAA1NKLDU/visa+gift+card.JPG>

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920212125284238%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21249&group=comp.mobile.android#21249

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:25:28 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:25 UTC

In article <shrgrq$6uc$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Some place still have the old manual carbon copy slider machine
> (nicknamed a "zip-zap" machine) that require a signature, that's why
> credit cards still have raised numbers and details. :-)

those are long gone and most cards are no longer embossed.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shrlgg$fp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21250&group=comp.mobile.android#21250

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:24:15 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 02:24 UTC

On 9/14/2021 6:21 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 03.04, Your Name wrote:

>>> I have seen terminals here that can not read magnetic bands. It is
>>> either chip or contactless.
>>
>> Some place still have the old manual carbon copy slider machine
>> (nicknamed a "zip-zap" machine) that require a signature, that's why
>> credit cards still have raised numbers and details.  :-)
>
> AFAIK that's credit only. No feedback, risky.

Most credit cards in the US. no longer have raised numbers.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920212256000164%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21251&group=comp.mobile.android#21251

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 22:56:00 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 02:56 UTC

In article <shrlgg$fp$1@dont-email.me>, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

> >> Some place still have the old manual carbon copy slider machine
> >> (nicknamed a "zip-zap" machine) that require a signature, that's why
> >> credit cards still have raised numbers and details.  :-)
> >
> > AFAIK that's credit only. No feedback, risky.
>
> Most credit cards in the US. no longer have raised numbers.

most *do* have raised numbers. the ones that don't are mainly the
higher end cards, with a scattering of the lower end cards.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<shro82$o6g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21252&group=comp.mobile.android#21252

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:10:58 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:10 UTC

On 9/14/2021 7:56 PM, nospam wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com wrote:

>> Most credit cards in the US. no longer have raised numbers.

> most *do* have raised numbers. the ones that don't are mainly the
> higher end cards, with a scattering of the lower end cards.

50-50 for me. Amex yes, Visa no...

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<140920212325155441%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21253&group=comp.mobile.android#21253

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:25:15 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:25 UTC

In article <shro82$o6g$1@gioia.aioe.org>, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

> >> Most credit cards in the US. no longer have raised numbers.
>
> > most *do* have raised numbers. the ones that don't are mainly the
> > higher end cards, with a scattering of the lower end cards.
>
> 50-50 for me. Amex yes, Visa no...

for amex, it depends on the card. gold & platinum are flat, whereas the
more popular amex everyday and partner cards are embossed.

for mastercard/visa, it depends on the bank and also the card. chase
freedom, which is the most popular credit card in the usa, is embossed,
while their top tier sapphire preferred/reserve are flat (although the
base sapphire is embossed).

they are definitely transitioning to flat, but there's still a ways to
go.

Re: "Barely anyone is using Apple Pay in stores anymore"

<iqd9nuFf6c6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21255&group=comp.mobile.android#21255

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:05:13 +1000
References: <shdht4$17i$1@dont-email.me> <slrnsjmkui.k1u.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <cl1s0ixj3l.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shg0rv$dkd$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.26EBCD8600B6E76270000558B38F@news.giganews.com> <egis0ixpcp.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shgjic.n08.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <shglis$1qh9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjoohr.9ts.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shid6s$1r29$3@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjpf5s.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shioh1$pg9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjpvke.d0a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shjdlc$12pa$2@gioia.aioe.org> <slrnsjrhed.gbi.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq7782Fa1c6U1@mid.individual.net> <slrnsju1uk.oe9.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <iq9opgFp2jaU1@mid.individual.net> <slrnsjvpub.8m5.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <ef951ixmm7.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <slrnsk0tqe.foq.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl> <shqgmq$1r8p$3@gioia.aioe.org> <hd871ixdjt.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shqvrr$66v$1@dont-email.me> <ike71ixf5v.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <shr5jo$61l$1@gioia.aioe.org> <shrh1k$8o4$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:05 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
> AJL wrote
>> Carlos E. R. wrote
>>> sms wrote

>> I haven't routinely carried any change for a long long time.
> I need quarters for the Aldi shopping carts.

Our Aldi handed out free things that go on your
key ring with a clip that release the trolley instead
of a coin. And still sell them for peanuts in the stores.
> So then nothing is cheaper than $5.00? No.

You have the $1 coin and smaller coins, stupid.
>> I still use the $1 bill for tips. A $5 tip for an $8 car wash is a bit
>> much. And I haven't seen a $2 bill in a long time. Also small cash is
>> handy for the tip jars in many fast food places. However some of the
>> them now allow me to tip on the credit card screen so the tip jar
>> itself may become history...

>> I always hated the $1 coin. A bill is so much easier to handle. It was
>> never very popular here, perhaps for that reason.
>
> We used to go to yard sales. I carried $1s and quarters, which covered
> pretty much everything we wanted to buy. I was deeply resentful when
> I bought stamps from a machine and was given change in $1 coins.
> What idiot wants to carry $20 in coins in a pocket or purse?

You should have stamp machines that take cards if you must post stuff.